Subject: The main Fault of Zombie Games is Boredom...isn't it boring? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabrizio d'Ottavio
Italy
Villaricca(Napoli)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried one or 2 zombie games and I find most of them boring...I know they all seems good.I played Last Night on Earth,(in LNoE I find some fun just in the mission in which heroes defend the house) and zombies!But at the end the only thing you do is to kill zombies and then kill zombies and then again kill zombies....this game has got fantastic models but in what is different or funnier compared to other zombie games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get to kill even MORE zombies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some zombie games incorporate some sort of survival element beyond surviving zombies. Things like exploring and gathering supplies. They're almost like dungeon crawlers with out the leveling up aspect. Except Zombicide actually does have a level up mechanic and character powers, on top of everything else. Plus the noise mechanic seems pretty different, can't think of another game that has done that. Not a zombie game anyway.

One aspect I like is the simplicity of the rules. It's not an excessively fiddly game, even with a level up mechanic. I imagine it will be a good 'beer and pretzel' game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We received Zombicide last Saturday, the 11th. Coincidentally we had scheduled gaming with our group for that afternoon / evening, so I opened the box, got everything ready, and took a couple passes through the rules.

When everyone had arrived, I suggested the game, with the caveat that, while I thought the rules were somewhat straightforward, I had not taken it for a test-drive (as would be my normal practice, as frequently games reveal things as you go through a dummy game to see how everything fits together).

They were all into it.

I set up Scenario 01, which has the Survivors fighting to, well, survive, while collecting objective tokens and three specific inventory items. We selected characters and dove in.

It was great. All six of us playing agreed we'd had a great time. And when Monday rolled around (our regular gaming night) we played it again! This time we played scenario 03 (02 seemed like it'd be too easy, as the objective is simply, "one Survivor must escape"). 03 had cars and special weapons and the objective of one Survivor maxing out their XP/Kills.

We spent the entire night playing (and talking, and trash-talking when one of us made a dumb mistake and got run over by the car -- which I am *completely* blameless in and totally did not suggest the person in question stand in the location in question).

Boring? Not at all. Even when you feel like you're ahead you really aren't. The game can turn on a dime (though the cars are a wee bit overpowered) with zombies swarming up out of sewers, getting bonus activations, and just generally overwhelming you. Still, good strategy and tactics and win-out, and I don't think there was ever a time any of us felt unengaged by the game.

My group frequently plays a game once, then moves on to the next big thing, perhaps returning a month or two later to revisit that previous game. It is VERY RARE INDEED for us to unanimously agree to play something again two days later.

This is a very good game. And not boring at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Boring? Not at all. Even when you feel like you're ahead you really aren't. The game can turn on a dime.

I'll second this opinion. Our group played the first scenario (#01?) tonight and we had a blast (actually double blast because without our 2 molotovs we'd have lost). We had 6 players. The outcome was close enough that one player actually sacrificed himself by charging into a large mob with guns blazing in order to draw the zombies away so the rest of us could escape. Even with this heroic action, we still would have lost if there had been more than one zombie in the bathroom when Ned opened the door to a corner room (apparently zombies still observe some of the norms of polite society). It's possible that it could become boring over time, killing zombies, but our group too has a tendency to play games for awhile and then move on. We'll play this one a bunch before we move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only other zombie game is LNoE. It's a good game, but I could never seem to get anyone to play. However, my two sons actually have been asking me to play Zombicide he past few days, and I can almost never get them to play boardgames. I think it is a combination it being coop (they hate to lose, but it's easier to take when we all win or lose together) and the fact that the rules are so simple that you can really focus on playing the game. We find ourselves immersed in this one, more than we did with LNoE (which again, I think is a great game.)

Sure, you are still just killing zombies, but it's awfully fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, Fabrizio? One or two zombie games and the main fault of zombie games is they're boring? And one of them "had some fun"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio d'Ottavio
Italy
Villaricca(Napoli)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played just those 2 games I didn't mention how many times i Played them the second one has been boring since the first game to me....while LNoE the first game we tried the protect Mansion scenary ,I was the zombie player and it was funny...then we played the escape and it was boring,the kill the zombies scenary,boring,the destroy zombies nest scenary...boring...I have played 2 games but i played about 2-3 times Zombies and about 6 times LNoE and the only scenary funny was the one in which you try to keep enemy zombies out of the mansion till daylight...anyway i do think that even this scenario after someplay could become boring...anyway I've done my question because this game has got something interesting but I don't want to buy it and then realize it will do the same end of the other 2 forgotten in a drawer to never come out again(unless they became 2 zombie boxes and I have to shoot them down )Anyway I don't see the rules yet..I'd like to take a look on mechanics to understand if the level up system could be interesting and even more if there are different zombies or they are all the same(that's another thing really boring...I know that it will became a monster and not a zombie game but please give me different zombies!!!From models it could be that zombies are different in this game so I want to take a look at the rulebook but right now I don't see it on the productor website...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 types of zombies. Basic walkers, runners (faster zombies), fatties (come with walkers and are tougher to kill), and abominations (much tougher to kill).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.