Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Konior
Australia
Swan View
WA
flag msg tools
mb
After the initial release and good reviews, things went very quiet, and now Profundis has been out for quite a while and only has a very limited number of reviews and almost no discussion.

It seems like either the initial market was smaller than it seemed, or the game was not as good as people thought, or just didn't have legs to survive much longer. Am I crazy, or just wrong?

As for me, I have it sitting on my shelf but haven't played it yet because it's constantly beat to the table by games with more monsters, more theme, and tonnes of adventuring/progression/flavor text. I'm not sure what the attraction was... but it seems to be gone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
So play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia is quite good. There's a lot of gameplay in just the base game box, and especially so with the expansion.

As for why there's not enough chatter, can't help you there, other than to say some people prefer playing games as to yammering about them online.

Very few "unsuccessful" games get an expansion, as I understand it. Maybe they could milk fans to death with a ton of expansions as some major companies are wont to do...but personally, I'm glad they're not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cody_au wrote:
After the initial release and good reviews, things went very quiet, and now Profundis has been out for quite a while and only has a very limited number of reviews and almost no discussion.

It seems like either the initial market was smaller than it seemed, or the game was not as good as people thought, or just didn't have legs to survive much longer. Am I crazy, or just wrong?

Sounds to me like you're a victim of the cult of the new. Have we reached a point where if somebody hasn't written yet another review in the last few weeks, the game must have turned bad somehow? Look at the ratings; look at the user comments.

And while you're at it, look at the games played. I just played a game earlier this evening, and when recording it I noticed that there have already been 77 plays in the first two weeks of August.

In my game, I taught a new player, whose opinion afterwards was that it's a great game. Eveyone I've shown it to has had the same reaction. My friend said he thought it was a better game than Arkham Horror or Descent, both in terms or component quality and play value - his words, not mine.

cody_au wrote:
As for me, I have it sitting on my shelf but haven't played it yet because it's constantly beat to the table by games with more monsters, more theme, and tonnes of adventuring/progression/flavor text. I'm not sure what the attraction was... but it seems to be gone?

The way to find out what the attraction is would be to pull it off your shelf and play it. I don't know which games you're talking about with more monsters, but I have a bunch of them. Most of them don't hold a candle to Claustrophobia. Why you think it lacks theme baffles me - maybe again the answer is for you to play. And if you want to hear people chat, write a session report afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
[edit] sorta ninjaed by Ken while I was taking my sweet ass time typing a response.

Hey, you were faster than I was.

Skeletor, Franklincobb, LordHellfury and Sphere. The Four Horsemen of the apocalypse are all in alignment. If you don't play the game after seeing that, I fear for the future of the planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the others.

The expansion and online scenarios add a lot to the game as well. Free online scenarios! I own a lot of dungeon crawlers and there is nothing quite like this game.

Get it off the shelf and play the #$%!ing thing for crap's sake. (That's right, for the sake of the crap's.) Then write a review about how awesome it was. Be sure to GM LordHellFury with a link to the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Skeletor, Franklincobb, LordHellfury and Sphere. The Four Horsemen of the apocalypse are all in alignment. If you don't play the game after seeing that, I fear for the future of the planet.

Hear that whinnying? That's your ass.

....that was meant to be terrifying but sounds more like a fart joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I think the OP makes a good point. It's just expressed awkwardly.

There are a lot of reasons it's rated well but not argued over endlessly: it's a sublime design, it's European in a good way, it's quicker to play a game than write about it.

I can write a lot about other games but I find Claustrophobia flawless. A masterpiece from an experienced designer who knew exactly what sort of game he was making.

Between Neil's informative review and Sphere's imaginative one, there's not much more to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You also have to remember that Claustro is a very niche game. Not as small a niche as most wargames but still a niche.

I think you'll find that most Space-hulk-esque games have few reviews and little traffic. I think Claustro actually gets more traffic than Doom, Incursion or Forlorn Hope.

The German edition may be dead (no expansion for them--cry), but the English (and hopefully Polish) versions have been doing well for a niche game. The game is not dead. Will it get reprinted? I don't know.

But you already have a copy, so why should the print status of a game bother you? You have the game. You can play it whenever you want (if you have an opponent). I have games that are OOP, have no video reviews and are lucky to get one post every couple of months. Does that stop me from playing them? Heck no!

So I agree with the Horsemen. What are you waiting for? Get it out and play and decide for yourself if you like it.

PS.

You'll have to give examples of games with more theme (more monsters I'll grant you), because there few games that have such a rich and unique theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Such a fantastic game. I'd actually love for Croc and Asmodee to come out with a brand new game with new theme & mechanics but that perfect combination of subtle depth, quickness of play, and component quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@OP: you need to play it

This is a game I'm always willing to play with experienced people and willing to teach to other friends. Everyone loves it.

The base game is perfect. You have several scenarios. Do you think you won't play them again once you have finished them? Wrong! The first 7 games I played to Claustrophobia were at the first scenario (changing sides). Then I switched to new scenarios, always returning to those already played, specially the first one (Survivors). Moreover you have at your disposal plenty of free scenarios available to download.

I don't have the expansion, yet. There's much more to play with the base game.

When you play Claustrophobia, you will "understand"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

That would have been perfect as a Claustrophobia microbadge text.

I'd buy that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe Asomdee has to say it's out of print so it will skyrocket in BGG's appreciation?
From all the games I follow I found it curious that this one was considered as dead since it's the game that has had the most official material released after I bought it. Maybe people should start writing reviews of the online scenarios to change this perception?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, this game is phenomenal and the expansion is probably the best expansion I own (right up there alongside Space Alert: New Frontiers and Cyclades: Hades). If you're not playing it you're simply missing out.

Maybe we aren't reviewing it because Sphere has spoken for the community. There's no point in putting the effort into reviewing something when someone's already nailed it.

Secondly, with games like this a lot of the chatter is related to creation of new fan-made content. There are so many official scenarios now released (many for free online) that very few of us have actually played them all. Thus, putting in the extra effort to create new content is not worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cody_au wrote:

What other games beat it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CROC
France
Guyancourt
Yvelines
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Unfortunatly :-), the basic game is not OOP.

But the expansion set will be in a few weeks or month...

CROC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CROC! Any new updates in the queue? Love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
horlaci wrote:
cody_au wrote:

What other games beat it?

Descent 2nd Ed?

whistle

That's my guess based on his "more monsters" description. Either that or he's talking about D&D 4th ed.

At the risk of derailing the topic a little, I have a question. I've been considering whether to get Claustrophobia, and I keep looking at my shelf and seeing Descent v2 and Earth Reborn and wondering whether I really need another game in that spectrum. Or rather I wonder how often I would bring it to the table if I already have the other two as options. Are there distinct characteristics of Claustrophobia that make you want to play it rather than the other two (or other games in your collection that are in that spectrum)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frohike wrote:
At the risk of derailing the topic a little, I have a question. I've been considering whether to get Claustrophobia, and I keep looking at my shelf and seeing Descent v2 and Earth Reborn and wondering whether I really need another game in that spectrum. Or rather I wonder how often I would bring it to the table if I already have the other two as options. Are there distinct characteristics of Claustrophobia that make you want to play it rather than the other two (or other games in your collection that are in that spectrum)?
Descent is a game for a group of players. I doubt I would play it with two. Earth Reborn is a great thematic experience as long as you have someone else as committed as you to play. Claustrophobia, I can sit down and thoroughy explain the game in less then 15 minutes and be playing a full game. I can play Claustrophobia with anyone who likes the theme. I can only play Earth Reborn with people who have spent a lot of time with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks. I guess I should clarify that I primarily game with my son, so we're usually playing Descent as a 2-player game, and we've both internalized the Earth Reborn rules. However it sounds like Claustrophobia would work well for sessions with his friends, or for a quick game if we don't feel like setting up a multiple-scenario session in Descent or don't want to deal with the 20-minute setup time in ER.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: I'm now $90 poorer My son and I have played several scenarios and totally love this game (and the expansion). We both enjoy the quick play time and the asymmetry since it gives us a chance to play the same scenario back to back and alternate roles. Thanks for the responses, everyone, and a special thanks to Sphere for his awesome "Dirty 1/4 Dozen" writeup. As soon as my son read it, he could not wait to get the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frohike wrote:
Update: I'm now $90 poorer My son and I have played several scenarios and totally love this game (and the expansion). We both enjoy the quick play time and the asymmetry since it gives us a chance to play the same scenario back to back and alternate roles. Thanks for the responses, everyone, and a special thanks to Sphere for his awesome "Dirty 1/4 Dozen" writeup. As soon as my son read it, he could not wait to get the game.

Awesome news. It truly is a gem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I blame the quality the reviews that are out there.
Neil T and Sphere ruined it for all of us.

A review with 80 thumbs doesn't stand out. A Tom Vasel video review is way back in third (I know it's content but still).

I sat down to write a review and couldn't see the point so wrote a session report instead:
Faithless Redemption
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordish
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just discovered Claustrophobia and indeed it is a very fun game and I can't wait to buy it. I recall years ago when it was mentioned in the BGG newsfeed that the game was set in the Hell Dorado. I did not know about the Hell Dorado world and did not give the game much thought. After two plays I wished I played it years ago. Glad to hear another small expansion is in the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a new expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.