Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else been getting this?
Sometimes when I try to add a boardgame, when I type the name of the game in the Insert Boardgame text field, I catch a glimpse of the game I want, but then, I get a huge list of unrelated games (I think they all start with the same first letter as my attempted game though). If I delete the last letter of the game then it gives me back the one I want.

Using Chrome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I've seen that too (using Firefox). Has been happening to me for a while (weeks or months), but very infrequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto. I assumed the search engine wasn't robust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you post a screenshot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Can you post a screenshot?

#1, after having typed the full game name (you can see the cursor to the right of the name). Although the game in question is #8 on this list it isn't always so close to the top, and you can see from the scroll bar how many games are listed even though the full game name is typed.

#2, after deleting the last letter of the game, I now correctly see the only matching game in the database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice example!

Overall this seems to be part of a bigger problem. Searching for games by name isn't consistent. The search on the menu bar for example behaves differently than the search for a game by name when adding a game to a GeekList.

I was hoping that the redesign would fix such inconsistencies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Anyone else been getting this?
Sometimes when I try to add a boardgame, when I type the name of the game in the Insert Boardgame text field, I catch a glimpse of the game I want, but then, I get a huge list of unrelated games (I think they all start with the same first letter as my attempted game though). If I delete the last letter of the game then it gives me back the one I want.

Using Chrome.

This appears to be caused by speed of typing vs. the speed of search - I can recreate it or avoid it at will.

If you are still typing whilst the grey search spinner is still going, and finish before it stops, the results displayed are those from when the search started, not what you last typed.

E.g. in your Twixt example, search kicked in after 'twi' but was still running as you typed 'xt'. So the results that came back only matched on the 'twi'. Backspacing triggered the search again on 'twix', giving the only matching result.

You should be able to avoid the problem by typing slower (so each character search completes before typing the next) or faster (so the entire name is typed before the search starts), or as you've seen by backspacing the last character (and typing again if neccessary).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.