Subject: Exploration Tech and "face-down (unexplored)" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Brock
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Need a clarification on exactly how the game defines an "unexplored" System marker. This relates to rule 4.2 (entering a hex with one) and rule 5.9.2 (retreating into one).

If a CA with Exploration Technology uses it to "peek at" a System marker, and decides to reveal the marker, it's fairly obvious that the hex becomes "explored" for all players. But what if the System marker is returned face down?

Can the player(s) who used the Tech on it treat it as an explored hex? Or does it go back to being an "unexplored" hex for these two rules?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The way I have played it (and I may be wrong, who knows) is that a face-down space marker is unexplored. Using exploration technology to "peek" then put it back face-down again, means that hex is still unexplored; you just know what is there now. So for the purposes of retreating or stopping during regular movement, you would have to treat that hex as an unexplored hex, even if you knew what was there already.

In larger games, with lots of deep space hexes, I jot in the margins of my production sheet the "contents" of unexplored hexes if I leave them unexplored after using explore tech. However, if I want to be able to retreat in a given direction or send some fast ships through a new passageway, I'll leave them face up after using exploration technology.

Sound good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob's explanation is also how I have played the game. If you want to treat the hex as explored you have to flip the marker and reveal it to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
That is also how I have always played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brock
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all! I figured I could count on a quick answer, and I see I was right.

(Kudos on your strong BGG presence, Jim. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.