Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
So GMT is not going to print any OSG games. I had a couple of P500's for them.

GMT kindly provided a link to pre-order from OSG. but best I can tell they are not really set up yet to take pre-orders.

Anybody know anything aside from what is posted on GMT?

OK if you go to the OSG main page http://www.napoleongames.com/
There is one game offered for pre-order but not one I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the link to the news item on the GMT site: Termination of OSG Strategic Partnership
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of a story...

Two wargame designers were stranded on a deserted tropical island with an ample supply of food, water, and board game components.

After six months of isolation they were rescued by a passing freighter.

The captain of the vessel noticed the two wargame designers had built four large huts. She was curious about these structures.

CAPTAIN: "Why four huts?"

WARGAME DESIGNER #1: "We each had one hut for living quarters and used the other hut for our game design studio."

CAPTAIN: "What about that fourth hut?"

WARGAME DESIGNER #2: "We wanted to go in different creative directions so I built my own game design studio."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
usrlocal wrote:
It never felt like a natural fit to me, anyway.

why?
If you look at GMT as a marketing arm and distribution then all well and good. It should have been ok.

I imagine there was some inherent internal tension or disagreement about price, promotion, production cycle or product lines.

It seems little effort was put into marketing, less into clarifying the confusing offerings and no work done on that I could see any way in "GMT ifying" with more and better examples, d.loads and the like.

It was interesting to me that OSG was always excluded from discount periods? Is that the case? I recall at least once being told certain titles were off limits.

GMT having a Napoleonic line is a good fit.

GMT is a board game company that has all eras what did you see being the issue there Peter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
usrlocal wrote:
Nothing specific. I just think that Zucker has a very strong vision and high degree of determination to do things his way. Square peg, round hole.

Yeah that was well said with less words. I dont know all the personalities, but you could 'read between' the lines as NOTHING changed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear that the alliance was just a bid to buy time before an invasion of the breadbasket of Europe to feed the great GMT war machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
I hear that the alliance was just a bid to buy time before an invasion of the breadbasket of Europe to feed the great GMT war machine.

Cry havoc and release the game chits of war!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:

Realize the comment is meant to be humorous, but overall the info that has come out of the "divorce" seems to suggest the parting was amicable. As far as I can tell there are no bad feelings between the individuals (and companies) involved. My suspicion is that OSG's games are targeted at more of a very narrow niche market than GMT typically deals with, and the sluggish P500 subscription rate probably convinced them that there wasn't enough profit in the arrangement for them to continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daleks stole my lunch box
France
Morbihan
flag msg tools
designer
Press 'X' to feel emotions.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
BeatPosse wrote:

For a minute I thought you were talking about GMT reprinting Cry Havoc shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Lancer4321 wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:

Realize the comment is meant to be humorous, but overall the info that has come out of the "divorce" seems to suggest the parting was amicable. As far as I can tell there are no bad feelings between the individuals (and companies) involved. My suspicion is that OSG's games are targeted at more of a very narrow niche market than GMT typically deals with, and the sluggish P500 subscription rate probably convinced them that there wasn't enough profit in the arrangement for them to continue.

No questions or facts regarding the mood. My comment was more about the lack of integration of the 2 businesses in the partnership. Each has its strengths.

Red Winter is a niche topic. The designer seemed to make it happen, and was given lots of time. I think there was likely a disconnect per what I mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John New
United States
Accokeek, Maryland/
New York, NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody know if the OSG pre-order prices will be the same as the GMT prices? I had several ordered via P500.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
Lancer4321 wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:

No questions or facts regarding the mood. My comment was more about the lack of integration of the 2 businesses in the partnership. Each has its strengths.

Red Winter is a niche topic. The designer seemed to make it happen, and was given lots of time. I think there was likely a disconnect per what I mentioned above.

You may well be right Lance but even if there was "bad blood" GMT is such a professional and well run company you would not hear it from them.

That is meant as a complement to GMT, in case it isn't clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lewis
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blueshark wrote:
Does anybody know if the OSG pre-order prices will be the same as the GMT prices? I had several ordered via P500.

I don't know specifically, but since the notice referred to OSG's P350 program, I suspect the costs will be higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
Each has its strengths.

What is OSG's strengths?

Curious, as I've never played their games. Are their Napoleonics that good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:

My comment was a rather obvious joke on the previous comment which I quoted with my post about GMT invading Europe. It had nothing to do with nor was it intended to insinuate any animosity between GMT and OSG. I'm surprised anyone took it as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:

Damn...with 40% of their product line sold out, they must be.

*note to self: get past Age of Reason, pay more attention to Napoleonic era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
blueshark wrote:

They have a one week "two for one" offer going right now on two titles. But the price is what I would expect to pay for two games any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lewis
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
CountDeMoney wrote:
hipshot wrote:
Each has its strengths.

What is OSG's strengths?

Yes.

Zucker's games are, IMO, the best operational treatments of Napoleon's campaigns out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Meisterchow wrote:
usrlocal wrote:
CountDeMoney wrote:
hipshot wrote:
Each has its strengths.

What is OSG's strengths?

Yes.

Zucker's games are, IMO, the best operational treatments of Napoleon's campaigns out there.

This is what I have heard. But I have always been hesitant due to a lack of cohesion and my in ability to understand what is what, which scale is which. I was very excited about the GMT relationship as I hoped they would put some marketing, vision behind the products and kick start sales.
So the ever elusive Corp level/Brigade level linked, semi linked campaign for all Europe eludes me still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
CountDeMoney wrote:
hipshot wrote:
Each has its strengths.

What is OSG's strengths?

The games are definitely worthwhile. The design is a bit blah and reminiscent of wargames of the 70s. That is to say, if someone had the depth Napoleonic knowledge, I don't think it'd take much effort to improve upon Zucker's designs. But — and here's the real strength of OSG — no one but no one knows Napoleonics better than Zucker. The real strength of OSG is his strong dedication to getting the history right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lewis
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest issue for someone coming new to his work is that his designs are scattered across pretty much every major game publisher of the last 30 years AND there some overlaps in campaigns but at slightly different scales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
patton1138 wrote:
CountDeMoney wrote:
hipshot wrote:
Each has its strengths.

What is OSG's strengths?

The games are definitely worthwhile. The design is a bit blah and reminiscent of wargames of the 70s. That is to say, if someone had the depth Napoleonic knowledge, I don't think it'd take much effort to improve upon Zucker's designs. But — and here's the real strength of OSG — no one but no one knows Napoleonics better than Zucker. The real strength of OSG is his strong dedication to getting the history right.

So someone missed an opportunity to expand and improve.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cowen
United States
Union Springs
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer, I was thinking of picking up The Last Success: Napoleon's March to Vienna, 1809 in GMT's fall sale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Panek
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was looking for clarification of scale between the games, which GMT did a little bit, but not as much as I'd hoped. On the OSG site I could never tell what was upcoming and what was long out-of-print, at least that was clear on GMT. And really, I trust GMT's P500 system and handling of personal information better than I do OSGs- IIRC at one point it seemed like OSG was over and I got some emails about some type of New Age stuff from KZ. Not sure what that was all about, but it doesn't inspire confidence.

Rich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzagl wrote:
..... I got some emails about some type of New Age stuff from KZ. Not sure what that was all about, but it doesn't inspire confidence.

Rich

Hopefully not an invitation to join him on the Mother Ship /
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.