Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Luis Rodriguez Mena
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Netrunner, so maybe I'm wrong, likely.

Imagine I have a lot of cards for all the factions in the game (runners and corps) so I build a corp deck full of ICE:barrier.

Has the runner any chance to win the game?

I suppose the runner will have different Icebreaker types, so many of his cards would be useless and most of my agendas will be safe.

Is that possible?
Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Grell
United States
Winter Haven
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think a runner would love any corp that foolishly uses only one type of ICE. Once they figure it out, they just invest in the one icebreaker needed to destroy that type and they have easy access to files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Luis Rodriguez Mena
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malgamus wrote:
I would think a runner would love any corp that foolishly uses only one type of ICE. Once they figure it out, they just invest in the one icebreaker needed to destroy that type and they have easy access to files.

In the same game? or does he need to build another deck to fight that corp deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jose633 wrote:

Imagine I have a lot of cards for all the factions in the game (runners and corps) so I build a corp deck full of ICE:barrier.

I suppose the runner will have different Icebreaker types, so many of his cards would be useless and most of my agendas will be safe.

Is that possible?
Thanks in advance

An icebreaker isn't used up when applied to ice, so even if many of his cards were ultimately useless, his barrier breakers would still be of service. Also, the core looks to offer a smattering of general icebreakers (icebreakers without a designated type, like Wyrm and the neutral Crypsis).

It would be unlikely that you'd have only ice of one variety and the Runner would entirely lack that variety. It's more likely that, though they have a match for your variety, they lack a breaker for the really high strength versions of that variety. However, the chances of you have four~five versions of that ice (the minimum you'd need to lock down all your central servers and one or two remote servers) is very small. And, of course, the Runner has access to cards like tinkering:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jose633 wrote:
Malgamus wrote:

In the same game? or does he need to build another deck to fight that corp deck?

Once you install the ICEbreaker You can use it again and again. It will not vanish. So You can just throw away the rest of ICEbreakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yit Ng
Malaysia
kuala lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jose633 wrote:
Malgamus wrote:

Yeah, in the same game. He just needs to draw that icebreaker which can crack Barriers, and start breaking everything you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Luis Rodriguez Mena
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thanks. I get the point.
So, a runner always needs different types of icebreaker (or mods) to cover all situations.
It's clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question while reading the manual. The game seems to assume that a Corp deck must include a variety of ICE and the Runner deck should include the same variety of icebreakers.

So if I'm always playing against my friend i could make a deck that always trashes his BUT this has to happen in-between games as I cannot tinker my deck while playing.

If this is the case and I'm not actually missing something this means that in a tournament level session there should be a kind of "sideboard" phase between matches like Magic the Gathering. While reading the tournament rules I didn't find anything of the kind.

So is this true? If a certain Corp deck has a main type of ice, does that mean that a Runner deck without so many relevant icebreakers is going to have a lot of worthless cards? It doesn't sound right but I can't see anything in the rules that says otherwise.

Maybe there are cards that allow the icebreakers to change types so that your worthless cards can at least combo with that and be useful again? I don't know. Can anyone enlighten us? meeple

EDIT: Ninja'd by many others. wow! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't played Netrunner, you don't really understand how this would be a very bad strategy. It's time to acknowledge that this sort of pre-analysis is far too common on BGG. People read the rules for a game, then without having played a single game, will decry its flaws. It really should stop.

But, to put your fears aside, you would lose very quickly with that strategy.

Also, unlike a lot of these type of games, I always felt Netrunner was far less about deckbuilding and far more about resource management. Both sides have very limited actions available, even moreso than most customizable card games. That's not to say deckbuilding isn't important, but nearly all the time when I lost Netrunner, I felt it was because of bad decisions on my part, not necessarily weak decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, in the beginning, a runner does not need an icebreaker to make a successful run.
In fact, he doesn't need a card at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jose633 wrote:

That would make you more vulnerable, not less.
The Runner then only needs 1 type of breaker out of the 3 available, once they find that type then you will find it very difficult to do anything to slow them down.

With 3 different types of ICE in your deck the runners needs all 3 different ICE breakers, which takes longer to set up... not to mention that the runner can run with almost no chance of hitting anything other than an "End the Run" Subroutine (most brain/net damage, trace and other weird subroutines are on Sentries, Barriers are usually just "End the Run").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
If you haven't played Netrunner, you don't really understand how this would be a very bad strategy. It's time to acknowledge that this sort of pre-analysis is far too common on BGG. People read the rules for a game, then without having played a single game, will decry its flaws. It really should stop.

But, to put your fears aside, you would lose very quickly with that strategy.

Also, unlike a lot of these type of games, I always felt Netrunner was far less about deckbuilding and far more about resource management. Both sides have very limited actions available, even moreso than most customizable card games. That's not to say deckbuilding isn't important, but nearly all the time when I lost Netrunner, I felt it was because of bad decisions on my part, not necessarily weak decks.

Well, people with infinite money probably don't need to worry that a game might not be for them.

But sure, most people don't search enough to find answers to their questions. Not exclusive to preorder jitters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:

So is this true? If a certain Corp deck has a main type of ice, does that mean that a Runner deck without so many relevant icebreakers is going to have a lot of worthless cards? It doesn't sound right but I can't see anything in the rules that says otherwise.

Maybe there are cards that allow the icebreakers to change types so that your worthless cards can at least combo with that and be useful again? I don't know. Can anyone enlighten us? meeple

EDIT: Ninja'd by many others. wow! surprise

Well, look at the card I included above, Tinkering. That will change your ice into another type, albeit temporarily.

However, remember that the Runner gets a deck of 45+ cards, and all they need are three icebreakers to be covered. Of course, they'll probably have a lot more than this, but it's assumed standard in Netrunner deck construction to have a variety of icebreakers, after all you never know what you're up against before a match. Only the greenest players that don't understand the game's concept will not include a particular icebreaker (and, since green players will be using faction cards mixed with neutral cards, this isn't even a possibility -- they all get Crypsis, which is a general breaker).

Also, as to "worthless cards," they gain some usefulness in protecting more meaningful cards from net/meat/brain damage. If you tell me that half my cards are worthless, and safe to never play, I've now got quite the shield against your attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Original Netrunner also had cards like The Short Circuit (that one was a resource that allowed you to search your deck for a program).

Rarer deck search cards allowed you to find hardware and resources (I think). I'd be surprised if these kind of things didn't show up in A:N at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
chaochou wrote:
Rarer deck search cards allowed you to find hardware and resources

Fingers crossed for something like: Short-circuit, Mantis fixer at large, or Temple Microcode Outlet.
The first and third one you had to show what you drew, Mantis was a secret draw and you could draw anything, Mantis and Microcode were prep, not resources.

Deck searching is ridiculously useful and I'm really hoping it comes back. Some of all those surprises the corp can make without thinking is much easier countered with a few 'tutors'. As long as you were prudent enough to build something into your deck to counter it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Anarchosyn wrote:
Also, as to "worthless cards," they gain some usefulness in protecting more meaningful cards from net/meat/brain damage. If you tell me that half my cards are worthless, and safe to never play, I've now got quite the shield against your attacks.

I'll add for those new to card games, even though it's retentive, that one would never build a deck with 'useless' cards just for the sake of protection against damage or the long greasy fingers of a runner dipping into your HQ. You'd always want a deck that contains only cards that facilitate your strategy for the deck. It's just those situations where you think you've drawn some poo poo that wont really improve your board position here and now that 'excess' cards come in handy. You can make use of that to make a run where you fear you might take some Net damage and make use of them that way or simply keep them as shield to lower the probability that the runner can draw that one agenda stuck in your hand that you can't reliably protect on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jose633 wrote:
OK, thanks. I get the point.
So, a runner always needs different types of icebreaker (or mods) to cover all situations.
It's clear.

Some people have brought up specific cards from the WotC version of Netrunner, but let me state a general principle: It was very easy for the Runner to get specific cards from his deck in a variety of ways. As soon as a Runner discovers you're running only one kind of defense, he could often fetch what he needed and you'd be in trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weland's ICE already favors a 'KEEP OUT' strategy. It's starter deck (faction+neutral) has 8 Walls! (2 Hadrian's, 3 Ice, 3 Static) Of course, one battering ram against a server with 3 walls isn't going to care all that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yit Ng
Malaysia
kuala lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wish there was misc for sale, you install some progs, trash everything for 3 bits each just to make a gallant run through fortified space for that last Agenda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yitjuan wrote:
wish there was misc for sale, you install some progs, trash everything for 3 bits each just to make a gallant run through fortified space for that last Agenda.

Aesop opened a pawn shop, but you can only sell one thing to him each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
yitjuan wrote:

Reminds me of the very first errata to get issued: misc-for-sale only gives money for things that were "successfully trashed".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jose633 wrote:

Is that possible?
Thanks in advance

KingCroc wrote:
People read the rules for a game, then without having played a single game, will decry its flaws. It really should stop.

Seeing this post with so many thumbs ups makes me feel bad for the original poster.

He thought he saw an issue with the game and asked if his fears were true with lots of caveats.

This is part of what BGG is for, and I hope it doesn't stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runners will often run with only singletons of a variety of breakers, and just search up the right one at the right time. The runner may have a few cards that aren't ideal in that matchup, but it's much easier to draw more cards than in games like magic if you need gas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.