BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Help and How-To

Subject: How do you research your purchases using BGG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious. What's the life cycle that you use for games that you are thinking about purchasing? Basically, here's the life cycle as I see it:

1. Flag a game for consideration
2. Research it (read sessions, read reviews, read rules, view pics) - let some time pass
3. Decided - want or don't want

Here's how I've done this:

1. Check the "notify me of new content" checkbox and possibly add a comment about the game, something like "try first" before deciding. Unfortunately, this causes too much incoming mail into my BGG account.
(Alternately, I have considered using "4 - Thinking about it" to indicate this.)
2. I sit on it for a while waiting for BGG info to be gathered. In the meantime, I read game magazines like Counter and Undefeated and listen to podcasts. I hear the opinions of others. In the best case, I actually get to try the game.
3. If I want the game, I add it to my wish list with a "3 - Like to have", "2 - Love to have", or a "1 - Must have".

I assume "5 - Don't buy this for me" means you've decided the game is not something you want. The problem is these games remain visible on your wishlist. I would much prefer a separate checkbox indicating "Not interested" to convey the fact that I have done the research and I don't want the game. I certainly don't want the games I don't want on my wish list.

What's your decision-making life cycle? How do you maintain your BGG database facts to convey the status at each stage? How do you denote a game you've rejected?

Silly questions perhaps, but based on the fact that I might do things differently. I would prefer "Potential Interest" and "Not Interested" checkboxes. The first indicating that I have to do my research. The second indicating that I've done it and I don't want the game. The wishlist adequately handles the fact that I want a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
mlanza wrote:
I assume "5 - Don't buy this for me" means you've decided the game is not something you want. The problem is these games remain visible on your wishlist. I would much prefer a separate checkbox indicating "Not interested" to convey the fact that I have done the research and I don't want the game. I certainly don't want the games I don't want on my wish list.

I think that option #5 is for games you'd like to get, but only if a favourable occasion happens (special deal? trading?) or if you already have all the other games you want (i.e. #5 is the lowest priority, but still marks a game you'd like to get).

To remove a game from your Wishlist, simply go to "My BGG" (link above, near "Welcome username" or on the left under "Profile"), click on "Wishlist", check the "remove" box of the game you don't wish any more and finally click the "Update Wishlist" button (on the bottom of the list itself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.