Subject: Elvis! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb

No; wait a minute...

...has left the building. Thirty-five years ago, to be exact.

I was a teenager in 1977, and on vacation with my family in August of that year. The news came over the radio, and all of the adults seemed shocked and distressed. I never gave it a second thought. I had just discovered The Clash and The Ramones. When I heard of the manner of his death, I laughed a lot. I was 15 years old-- sue me!

Then, about ten years later, I found out more about the man, the myth, the legend. And I could understand all of the hoopla, and see the ignoble end for what it truly was. Sad.

When the US post office wanted to put him on a stamp, they asked the public if it should be the young, hip (literally!) Elvis, or the older, Vegas Elvis.
I wish that I could have had a vote. Elvis, for me, will always be the pill-poppin', overweight, past-his-prime, and over-the-top, Vegas Elvis.

But I can respect his accomplishments in music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I love Elvis.
And I've always agreed with Allmusic.com's assessment of The King:

AMG wrote:
Elvis Presley may be the single most important figure in American 20th century popular music. Not necessarily the best, and certainly not the most consistent. But no one could argue with the fact that he was the musician most responsible for popularizing rock & roll on an international level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Was never an Elvis fan but I fully acknowledge his role in music history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two Tie's with Elvis on them

Tie #1 (my favorite one)
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Tie #2
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

(sorry, not trying to advertise for ebay sellers. Was just the only place to find the best images of them)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I was seven, and I remember the day well, as my mother spent the whole day crying full on tears. Scared the hell out of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
For the past six years, a friend and I have been sending the occasional email to each other, in a project that we call "ping pong prose". I supplied the first sentence to an original story, and he supplied the last sentence. After that, we alternate sending sentences to each other (averaging 20 sentences a year); me in the forward direction, he from the end towards the beginning. We hope to meet in the middle, some day, and have a complete story.
What has this got to do with anything? It turns out that Elvis isn't dead. He's stranded on a rocky island in the North Sea along with a character I introduced, named Douglas Taft. Because the last sentence in our combined story is: "I'm saving my last real bullet for Elvis."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Because the last sentence in our combined story is: "I'm saving my last real bullet for Elvis."

That sounds delicious. I hope it turns out well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love, love, love Elvis - well, early Elvis.

Mr. Presley isn't too shabby either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Was never an Elvis fan but I fully acknowledge his role in music history.
My sentiments as well. However, my beloved Beatles idolized him, and for that I must give him props.

I was 14 when he died. I heard the news while at work for a concessionere at a local arena. I was not a fan, but immediately recognized his passing was culturally significant. I also had just gone on my first big cycling event, so that whole summer registers in my mind as transformative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There's a more rauncy version out there, by Mojo and the Pleasure Barons, that makes me laugh every time I hear it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.