Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just examined an advance copy of the game sent to my FLGS and the components are fairly decent. The room tiles are big thick cardboard pieces that have some artwork on them (as opposed to the mono-colored tiles in the online game demo). The player boards are some kind of thin polymer coated paper. There are poker chips and wooden bits. I don't know if anything has been misprinted. At first glance it sure seems like the AH people are listening to us after the dismal BoHoTH, Sword & Skull, and Roborally components.

I still have to play it to make sure there is no run-away leader problem, which I'm concerned about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see this game having runaway leader issues. First of all, since everything is bought in an auction, there shouldn't be much opportunity to get ahead of everyone.

Secondly, the prices of rooms compared to the income they provide is very high. Income is the only recurring benefit of stuff you buy, so this means that recurring benefits are pretty inconsequential compared to one-time effects.

Because of the first two points, getting a lead in income is very difficult, and also invariably means that you have much less cash than everyone else.

In the 3 games I played, we didn't notice any correlation between getting ahead in income early and winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In the 3 games I played, we didn't notice any correlation between early income boosters and winning

Well ok then. I probably will be picking this up soon. Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it doesnt really have any runaway leader issues. Unlike, say, St. Petersburg (for which I much preferred 2 player, because if someone got into a runaway, you just called the game and started another).

The reason it doesnt have runaway leader issues is:

Everyone start out at 5 income and it increases slowly, like almost always, 1 at a time. As opposed to something like St P, where a smal advantage early will put you up like 9 income to 6, and then just avalanche.

Income is based on the lower of two factors, and thus to increase it, you need TWO things.

And MOST importantly, each person can only buy on thing per turn. So even if you are getting more money, you simply get the better of things, not all of them or more of them.

Of course, one needs to increase their income in the beginning. However, I have seen people with an average income win the game, and I have seen people initially lag in income and then come back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little disappointed with the player "boards", but they seem made out of strong paper, so I could be wrong. A printable version may be required if they wear out too fast.

And AH/WOTC is once again using the weak box dividers made out of cardboard. They need real trays.

But other than that, the components are very nice. The rulebook is well written. The tiles are nice thick, colorful and sturdy. And it has poker chips! Poker chips!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
And AH/WOTC is once again using the weak box dividers made out of cardboard. They need real trays.

Actually I like that the game has no tray since I like putting the pieces in small snack baggies. I put the mats, board & rules in first and flat and then all the baggies and then their "tray" over everything as a lid. In this manner I can carry the box anyway I want including upside down without worrying about the inside. I obviously can't do that with games that have plastic trays and a sport for every piece in the game to go. Try standing the game up in your box to bring to game night and the pieces are all over instead of in their little slots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The resistence of a custom tray against "wrong side up" depends on its design. If the pieces go in vertically (like Alea Ra), they won't fall out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Do the player mats stand up to wear over time?

I guess these things are some kind of, er, 'plastic'.

Flimsy as heck, though, seems like they'll easily crease.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Easterlin
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems with components at all... I initially was concerned about the player sheets as well, but they have stood up quite well over numerous plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.