Wings of Glory: WW2 Starter Set» Forums » General

Subject: how is game play different between WW1 and WW2? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is game play different between planes of ww1 and ww2?
are the mechanics the same?
which is better?

many thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
In WWII, you preselect 2 cards, not 3, per turn. (Higher speeds, less chance to plan ahead.)

Beyond that, someone else will have to fill you in better than I can.

I prefer WWI, not least because they've had some trouble (last I heard) implementing the truly high-speed WWII planes so far. But I believe they've got a solution worked out, and we should be seeing release of some of the more iconic fighters soon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you will dig back in the former posts, you will find this question has benn asked multiple times and highly discussed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Salisch
Germany
Pirmasens
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my youtube channel: Patrick Salisch
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
I prefer WWI, not least because they've had some trouble (last I heard) implementing the truly high-speed WWII planes so far. But I believe they've got a solution worked out, and we should be seeing release of some of the more iconic fighters soon?

I think both ww1 and ww2 timelines created great planes and pilots. I think you should go for the period you prefere the most. ww1 has the flavor of knightly gentlemen red baron style over the fields and farms of france. ww2 takes you to more deadlier and faster planes of a worldwide scenario from the western to the eastern to the pacific theater.

I prefere ww2 because i love the aircraft which was invented in that time period. For me, that's no critic or taunting, all ww1 planes look the same...but for sure some ww1 players might say similar things about ww2 aircraft.

In germany we have a comment about such questions:

"It is a matter of taste answered the monkey and bit in a piece of soap"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Merighi
Argentina
Mar del Plata
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crysagon wrote:
In germany we have a comment about such questions:
"It is a matter of taste answered the monkey and bit in a piece of soap"

In Argentina we got a comment so similar, but a lot more nasty...gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In WWII, you preselect 2 cards, not 3, per turn. (Higher speeds, less chance to plan ahead.)

That is not really accurate.

In ww1 you select 3 cards in a turn. You have a sort of blank slate mostly (only a couple possible carry-overs from the last turn. But you pick three and then everyone executes the three cards on at a time, checking for shooting and effects after each card.

In ww2, you only select 2 cards at the very beginning. Call them 1 and 2 for reference.

You pick two, Then you execute 1, check for shooting and damage, then pick "card 3" (which could be the same as card 1 or different) and execute card 2, check for shooting, pick card 4, execute card 3, etc. so you feel like you're making a pipeline of cards. You only pick one each turn, and then execute the one you picked LAST turn. The gives a very different feel.

And almost all the cards have two "paths" on them, one for a slower speed and one for fast, and you pick speed when you pick cards (using a counter or chit). Most planes turn a bit more sharply at lower speeds, and there are other interesting possibilities.

I'm not saying "different" in these examples is better or worse, but just an interesting difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorrit jorrit
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
If you will dig back in the former posts, you will find this question has benn asked multiple times and highly discussed.

I can't seem to find them.. Could you post a link??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.