BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Poll: Which auction game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add an auction game to my collection.
If Power Grid wasn't soo long i would snap get it... I also lack some games in the 30-45 mins range, so perhaps i could deal two things with one.
Speicherstadt and Modern Art are right now the games which appeal the most to me. Somehow Speicherstadts ratings are quite low, could you give me reasons why.
I'd like this game to be played without experts, so perahps Goa might be a bit too much.
I will mostly play the game 3-4, so Santiago is out?
If it's good with just 2 its aplus, but not very important.

Is PG still the best to get?

Poll
Which game should i get?
Goa
Modern Art
Die Speicherstadt
Santiago
Power Grid
Homesteaders
      71 answers
Poll created by recallme

Thx for all inputs.

PS: I looked up all other suggestions i got in the other thread, but they didn't appeal to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:

PS: I looked up all other suggestions i got in the other thread, but they didn't appeal to me.

Maybe you could list those other games or at least link to the other thread so we don't waste our time re-suggesting them (I have no idea which thread you're talking about)

The only one in your poll i have played is Power Grid, and although it is one of my 10s, while it does involve auctions, that is only one part of a lot of other things and I don't consider it an "auction game".

My suggestion for a great auction game would be Ra, especially considering your 3-4 player needs and short game-time ideal. It's an old stand-by that never fails to entertain. It's OOP but you can get a copy for the $30 range on BGG marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
It's OOP but you can get a copy for the $30 range on BGG marketplace.

D'oh! I see you're in Germany. Not sure, it might actually be in print there. But if not there's a bunch of European users selling copies in marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds silly, but don't over look You're Bluffing!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Ra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously I love Power Grid, but if you're looking for a short, easy auction game, I would recommend Die Speicherstadt. It's pretty intuitive, but I find there's a lot of tension due to the fact that you know what everyone else can and can't do.

If Power Grid is too heavy, then Goa and Homesteaders are probably out too. Modern Art is a good game, but it can get mathy, and a player who bids oddly can really throw off the game. Santiago is kind of a weird animal because it's more "bribing" than "auctioning"--the auctioneer doesn't have to take the highest bid, he can take the bid for the move that advantages him the most. It's a decent game, but it doesn't scale down very well (I think it's best with 5).

Ra is also a great suggestion for an easy auction game, though it can be a bit opaque to new players. I'd also recommend Medici, which is also very easy, but has a lot of tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough one between Homesteaders and Goa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For you, I think Homesteaders is a great choice. I have easily taught it to casual gamers and the game only lasts about an hour. The rules are simple and it includes a very good 2 player set up in the rules. Power Grid does not scale very well to 2 players, if at all. Homesteaders is an outstanding game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're missing my favorite, quick-playing auction game:

Tinners' Trail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it's just me, but I feel like Power Grid is, at its core, a game about turn order. It adds a huge map-blocking component, a cool (but nasty) resource market, and then tacks on a bit of auction. I feel like the auction is about 10-20% of the whole game.

Homesteaders is about 60% auction, with resource juggling filling most of the rest. Quick, straightforward, enjoyable. I haven't played any of the others in the poll. A couple of them have more nastiness than I like in games, based on what I have read.

Personally I like Vegas Showdown even better than Homesteaders, and based on just a couple plays I think I really like Industria also. Both require a bit less brain power than Homesteaders, while providing me with equal enjoyment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Lundin
Sweden
Åtvidaberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should own Ra....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
I call RA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Romero
United States
Jacksonville
FL -
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Ra It's fast and fun, and definitely an auction game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i say RAZZIA (or RA)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[x] Cyclades
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think goa is both too long and not pure enough for what you're looking for.

modern art is a fragile game but it is a great game.

I don't like powergrid...I hate how the last couple turns just turn into arithmatic fest.

Homesteaders, like Goa has a little more than just auctions going on.

haven't played Die Speicherstadt and Santiago.

If you want to go light, look into High Society or really light No Thanks! (I'm not a fan of the blind bidding in For Sale).

Otherwise you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with the Knizia Auction Trilogy+1 = Medici, Ra, Modern Art, Hollywood Blockbuster (also known as dream factory and traumfabrick).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sticking with your list: I'd say The Speicherstadt would be good for a wider array of players. Modern Art is good, but as mentioned before the players kinda have to know what they're doing or the game gets wonky.

Outside of your list, Ra is good. I'm not sure how I came about Offerings, but it may be in my top 5 auction games. I'd suggest you take a look at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Offrandes, great "off the beaten path" auction game and it's got a theme you pretty much are guaranteed to have never seen in a game before - Animal Sacrifice to the Ancient Gods!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't like Ra's theme, but seeing itgetting so much love i will reconsider it.

Thx for all inputs and let it keep coming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra is a classic, so is worth another look, but it's not for everyone.

Some people claim Ra is not an auction game: Not really an auction game at all..

I think it's an auction game, but not my favorite. I actually prefer Ra: The Dice Game over Ra, but I know I am unusual that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:
I didn't like Ra's theme, but seeing itgetting so much love i will reconsider it.

It has no actual theme. The images used in the game just have a shared theme, but the theme is implemented in no real way. The auction part itself is rather good though. I would compare Ra to Dominion. Neither have great themes although I guess Dominion does its better but that's like deciding between a poke in the eye versus getting hit in the hand with a hammer for what's better. There is only one real aspect in either game, but the aspect is done on a rather high level. Other games came later that implemented themes better, or offered other aspects to their game. It doesn't mean those games are better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.