Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Hikes
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious if the people that have played this with four players have had a similar experience to mine. It basically took an hour and a half to play one game, which is WAY too long for what this is.

I think a good part of this was learning what each card does as we were looking at them for the first time. But I also think that a major part of this comes down to the Ninjas and the Alien abilities. The aliens can beam the cards for an entire base back to player's hands, thus negating multiple turns that players need to do again in order to break a base. We also found that the Ninja's assassination abilities drew out base breaking and caused the game to drag on.

I was playing the aliens/zombies and just stopped using my abilities, even when it would have been advantageous to do so, just so bases would finally break for anyone.

Not sure if others have experienced the same thing, but it was a little disappointing. This was only one play through, so I'm guessing things will speed up on future plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played a two player and a four player and both went fairly quick, although the four player did take longer and not only because there were more people but because the type of people.

It really depends on your group, learning the cards take a bit, but in a four player game by the time a turn comes around they each person should know what they’re doing.

Also playing with 4 players you’ll have five bases in play and there should be more then enough activity on the bases that the game should continue to progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hikes
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For us, the five bases spread out the minions a little thin. When someone would push to break a base, beaming, assassinations and the like would ensue.

It might just be that we need to figure out the strategy of it as well. I'm guessing our experience was an anomaly as this is suppose to be a quick playing filler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm.... That's interesting. I was looking forward to this as a great filler game that would be easy to learn and play quickly. If it's an hour and a half for a four-player game, that's something different. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hikes
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should point out that it is very easy to learn and we did have fun playing it even if it happened to run long. We'll be giving this another try over the weekend. I want to see if maybe 3 players is a sweet spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that playing with fewer bases shortens the play time. If your group is more analytical than mine, cut the bases down. 3 bases for 4 players makes even first-time demo games go fairly quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hikes
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was considering doing that to concentrate the minions more. I'd still like to play it as intended and see if the times comes down on its own.

Was the game play tested with using 1 fewer bases than the number of players (to a minimum of two)? I'm curious how that would turn out as it would be an all out brawl that would play pretty quick I'd imagine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 players 1 base removes a lot of choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hikes
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I was thinking a minimum of two. So 2 bases for two, 2 bases, for three, and three for 4. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lab Gnome
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
edbolme wrote:
Note that playing with fewer bases shortens the play time. If your group is more analytical than mine, cut the bases down. 3 bases for 4 players makes even first-time demo games go fairly quick.

I like this idea as 4 player games do seem to take a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.