Subject: MK - God Mode rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carter
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious to test the limits of MK, I played a solo game with complete control over all random variables (card draw, offers, mana pool, enemies, map tiles, city levels, dummy player). Otherwise, I played with the standard rules for Full Conquest (i.e. no random tile orientation).

Although there are many ways to maximize points, I figured the best bet was to go for toppling two level 11 cities by the end of the first night. This was achieved for a total score of 346 with Tovak vs. dummy Goldyx.

Here's the path taken (see pic for reference):

DAY 1
- Tactic - Mana Steal (used on 1st turn) (dummy = Early Bird)

Turn 1
- March (Move 4) to dungeon. Concentration (with Swiftness) for Range Attack (5) kills Werewolf. Gained Horn artifact.
- Level Up - gained Swift Bolt & Double Time
- Fame = 5 ; Reputation = 0

Turn 2
- Double Time to Ruins. Swiftness + Swift Bolt (Mana Draw) + Horn for 13 ranged kills High Dragon & Medusa. Gained Grail & Gold artifacts.
- Level Up - gain Heroic Tale & Resistance Break
- Fame = 19 ; reputation = 0

Turn 3
- Double Time to Tower. Take 3 wounds from Fire Golems and adjacent Diggers. Cold Toughness + Resistance Break kills Golems, Rage x2 kills Diggers. 3 wounds healed with Grail (+2 Fame) and Tranquility. Gained Fireball.
- Fame = 28 ; reputation = 0

Turn 4
- Recruit 2x Illusionist & Guardian Golems (requires 21) with Heroic Tale (6), Gold (4), Promise & Threaten (4), use of both Illusionists (8) (total of 22). + 3 Fame & Reputation.
- Fame = 31 ; reputation = +1

Turn 5
- Double Time, March, Stamina to Ruins. Fireball + Resist Break kills Ice Dragon, Golems adsorb damage from Wolf Riders, then Golem Attack + Rage kills Wolf Riders. Gain Banner of Protection & Ice Bolt.
- Level Up - Freezing Power (Goldyx ice/siege skill) & Crushing Bolt.
- Fame = 42 ; reputation = +1

Turn 6
- Double Time, 2x Stamina to Keep. Crushing Bolt + Freezing Power kills Crossbowmen.
- Fame = 45 ; reputation = +1

Turn 7
- Double Time, Improvisation (discard Crystallize) to Blue Crystal Mine, provoking Ironclads. Ice Bolt kills Iron Clads. Put Banner of Protection on Golems.
- Gain Blue Crystal.
- Fame = 49 ; reputation = +1

NIGHT 1
- Tactic - Long Night (dummy = Preparation)

Turn 1
- Double Time, Improvisation (discard Tranquility) to Monastery. Influence (22 total) with Heroic Tale (6), 2X Illusionists (8), Threaten & Promise (4), Gold (4) for Savage Monks, Song of Wind & Ambush, and Herbalists (over Illusionists). Fame + 4, Reputation +2.
- Fame = 53 ; reputation = +2

Turn 2
- Song of Wind [EDIT: + Swiftness + Double Time](5) to reveal 2 tiles, then float into Mage Tower. Savage Monks (played via Crushing Bolt) + Freezing Power + Resistance Break kills Ice Mages. Golems adsorb damage from adjacent Wolf Riders, who are then killed with Cold Toughness and Guardian Golems. Gain Tremor.
- Fame = 60 ; reputation = +2

Turn 3
- Stamina x 2, March (4), Double Time for 9 movement to Keep. Golems w/ Banner adsorb Crossbowmen damage, who are then killed with 2x Rage.
- Level Up - Flight (Goldyx), Blood Ritual
- Fame = 63 ; reputation = +2

Turn 4
- Double Time, Crystallize sideways, and March to reveal 2 tiles. Blood Ritual for 3 Mana. Then Ambush (4) to Wasteland and provoke two dragons next to Red City. Fireball (+2 from Ambush) kills Ice Dragon. Resistance Break + Concentration (with Swift Bolt) + Freezing Power kills High Dragon. Use Grail to Heal 1.
- Fame = 81 ; reputation = +5

Turn 5
- Swiftness to move into Red City (level 11), containing 3X Gunners, Fire Mage, and Werewolf. Black Mana Die + Herbalists for Earthquake. Horn + Resistance Break + Freezing Power kills them all.
- Level Up - Magic Talent, Green Crystal Craft (Goldyx)
- Fame = 112 ; reputation +4
- 3 additional cards drawn from Long Night (to hand size of 9): Tremor, Horn, Ambush

Turn 6
- Flight (with March) to Glade adjacent to Green City (11), containing Altem Guardians, 2x Freezers, Minotaur & Medusa.
- Fame = 112 ; reputation +4

Turn 7
- Gain Black Token.
- Ambush into City. Earthquake with token and Mana Die. Resist Break on Altem Guardians. Horn (+1 from Ambush) + Freezing Power kills all city enemies. Spend blue crystal to power Ice Bolt against adjacent Ironclads.
- Fame = 147 ; reputation +4

Turn 8
- Magic Talent with Green Crystal Craft to add [spell] to discard.
- Green City Influence 6 for [Advanced Action]

-------------------------------------

- 3 Spells, 9 Advanced Actions = 15
- 4 Artifacts, 0 Crystals = 8
- 3 Level II, 1 Level I Units = 7
- 7 sites conquered = 14
- 2 Cities defeated = 30
- 4 Unplayed rounds = 120

TOTAL = 346

Perhaps this solo variant merits a new Ye Olde Scoarboarde For Cheaters. I am certain there were things that could have been done more optimally. I also wonder if taking a few wildly different strategies would be better, such as avoiding units altogether, or playing out the full 6 turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way more interesting than "Here's my latest high score!" Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Engel

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... Someone else tried this on the Scoreboard thread and got a score in the high 500s. They used a full 6 rounds, which makes me wonder whether it's actually worth not playing rounds (it seems like you could maybe do better than the 30 points you get for not playing them). Here's the other post:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9710511#9710511
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get to choose your draws and enemies you can certainly score more than 30 Fame per round just by sitting on a Dungeon or Tomb and entering it over and over. You can get a whole lot of turns in one round if you can control the dummy player also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helios
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have also been working on creating the maximum solo score given choosing the result of any random element with the standard level 5 and 8 cities (although by the time I reach the cities the level does not make much difference). I should hopefully be able to post the results shortly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
If you get to choose your draws and enemies you can certainly score more than 30 Fame per round just by sitting on a Dungeon or Tomb and entering it over and over. You can get a whole lot of turns in one round if you can control the dummy player also.

Thanks David, that's a good point. I was playing such that the dummy player drew the minimum cards (3) per turn.

Maybe in 'God Mode' the baseline should be what you could score simply by sitting on the first dungeon. In this case, with the score above, probably I'm below the baseline (and in that sense it was a total waste...). It was a reasonably enjoyable exercise, regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leshrac55 wrote:
Hmm... Someone else tried this on the Scoreboard thread and got a score in the high 500s. They used a full 6 rounds, which makes me wonder whether it's actually worth not playing rounds (it seems like you could maybe do better than the 30 points you get for not playing them). Here's the other post:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9710511#9710511

Wow, I was totally scooped by that. Figures that the extra four rounds of hammering away yields much more than the bonus points from ending early. There are some interesting lessons learned from both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pzkrakz wrote:
Curious to test the limits of MK, I played a solo game with complete control over all random variables (card draw, offers, mana pool, enemies, map tiles, city levels, dummy player). Otherwise, I played with the standard rules for Full Conquest (i.e. no random tile orientation).

Interesting idea for a meta-game. Trade in the turn by turn puzzle for a full game puzzle.

I still need to play the regular game more. And frankly, I doubt that I would never get to this level. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pzkrakz wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Thanks David, that's a good point. I was playing such that the dummy player drew the minimum cards (3) per turn.

Maybe in 'God Mode' the baseline should be what you could score simply by sitting on the first dungeon. In this case, with the score above, probably I'm below the baseline (and in that sense it was a total waste...). It was a reasonably enjoyable exercise, regardless.

You're definitely above that very simple baseline, which is ~5 points per turn. I think what he's saying (and he'll correct me if I'm wrong) is that looting dungeons/tombs is more efficient than the 30 points you get for each unplayed round, so you should play the game through to the end of the third night rather than ending it early.

Anyway, very impressive - I'm not sure I'd've believed two level 11 cities by the end of night 1 was possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
pzkrakz wrote:
NIGHT 1

Turn 2
- Song of Wind (4) to reveal 2 tiles, then float into Mage Tower.

I think you meant "Swiftness, Song of Wind (4)"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
pzkrakz wrote:
NIGHT 1

Turn 2
- Song of Wind (4) to reveal 2 tiles, then float into Mage Tower.

I think you meant "Swiftness, Song of Wind (4)"

Maybe I made an error above. I think what I meant was that I played Song of Wind for four move (with Mana Die), used that to reveal two new tiles, and then floated into the Tower (I did have 1 move available from Double-Time at night).

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
The upgraded Song of Wind only gives 2 Move
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
The upgraded Song of Wind only gives 2 Move

Ah, then it must have been swiftness, as I'd only used it once otherwise that night and there are 2 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Channing Guenther
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
I decided to give God Mode a try.

I didn't record the game, but here's some of the details.

I chose Goldyx against Tovak (though the dummy player could have been anyone) and set the cities to levels 10(W) and 11(R).

I ended the game in Round 4 because I was getting very bored of it and needed to get around to other things. I very likely could have played out the full 6 rounds and gotten a LOT more fame (at least another 100), but whatever...

I also decided to avoid the "end of the universe" effects of playing Maximal Effect with Magic Talent and Time Bending... In fact of those three cards, I only used Magic Talent.

My final tally was 399 fame.

All I've gotta say is that Heroic Tale is quite possibly the best AA in a game of God Mode (as long as you couple it with a ring or two and maybe In Need). Any turn where you can get yourself a 7 or 8 extra Fame and 5 or 6 extra Rep while recruiting 4 gold units is a great turn in my book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave it another shot, Tovak vs. dummy Goldyx, but this time aiming for the full 6 turns. By the end of the second day, I'd defeated one city (leaving the other for the end), explored all the tiles on the map (floating around with Song of Wind), killed every Dragon once, recruited 2 Altem mages, had half the artifact deck, defeated most available ruins (starting with the toughest tiles), etc.

I agree with the above post in that it had become quite boring at that point, with little else to do but repeatedly encounter a Lair. I went after Mage Towers initially, recruiting only one unit (crossbowmen), until the Altem Mages became available; both recruited in a single turn with 24 influence from In Need (poisoned crossbowmen helped). Most critical, I believe, were Double-Time and movement related AAs. A few spells, amulet, horn, etc., are all that is really needed.

I think for this variant to be interesting, it would have to be limited to one day/night. It would also be interesting to try it multiplayer, but with the mana in the source remaining random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.