Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: multiple questions again. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Hello again,

1.) I had another question that came to my attention. So i was wondering if you can have 1 person have multiple of the same monster in there monster draw area (Idk what to call it)? But i keep seeing references of this being not allowed. If that is the case, what do you do? Draw a new monster, or give the monster you drew to the other players monster pool??

2a.) Another question I had is i guess a two parter. My character is poisoned with 1 hp. At the start of his hero phase he takes the 1 dmg immediately, thus bringing him down to 0. So when can he surge and come back up? right away, or does he spend a round down?
2b.) After he surges, is he still poisoned?

side question: if Regis is poisoned and then uses his Hide ability, can he still roll to see if he gets a 10+?

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: monster question
"If you draw a Monster card that matches a Monster
you already control, discard that Monster card and draw
again." (p. 7)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:
"If you draw a Monster card that matches a Monster
you already control, discard that Monster card and draw
again." (p. 7)

Wow, that would have been nice to know. Thanks for the quick response.

So how do you treat the two trolls, if they are out at the same time, in a game with two people, they would both be in the same persons monster pool each turn. So would you not be able to have two trolls out in a two person game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this only applies when initially drawing the monster. So two Trolls in play, originally drawn by two different people, would end up controlled by the same player and would activate both the same turn. Other option would be (I guess) to jump over a player when passing the Troll, so that both Trolls still activate each turn, but each player at a time only controls one Troll.

Though I think the bigger problem than figuring out who controls the Trolls is that you have two Trolls out and both are activating each turn !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:
I think this only applies when initially drawing the monster. So two Trolls in play, originally drawn by two different people, would end up controlled by the same player and would activate both the same turn. Other option would be (I guess) to jump over a player when passing the Troll, so that both Trolls still activate each turn, but each player at a time only controls one Troll.

Though I think the bigger problem than figuring out who controls the Trolls is that you have two Trolls out and both are activating each turn !

Haha ya, that's not even mentioning i threw in my heart of Cormyr set, and drew the dragon from that. Which also activated every turn. Surprisingly enough... I lost!

But you can be assured, the next night i had Regis out on the playing field for that 1 reason..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the poison and the healing surge, the Rulebook says that the poison damage is applied before the healing surge. So even though you are still poisoned, you are at "full" surge hit points after the surge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros
Greece
Thessaloniki (mostly), Trikala (sometimes), Meteora (at least once per Trikala trip), Athens (whenever possible), -how many more characters does it accept? Impressive! so I'm moving on with my list- Koromilia, Kavourotripes, Samothraki, Jogja, Bruxelles..
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You use a healing surge when starting your turn at 0 hp, so if you're brought down by poison damage (you weren't at 0 hp when you started), you use the healing surge on your next turn. That's my understanding of the rules.
After you use the surge, you don't discard conditions, so you're still poisoned. Still, the poison damage theoretically happens before using the surge, so you're back at full surge value after you use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tagar wrote:
You use a healing surge when starting your turn at 0 hp, so if you're brought down by poison damage (you weren't at 0 hp when you started), you use the healing surge on your next turn. That's my understanding of the rules.

But the rules explicitly say that the poison damage is applied before checking if you need a healing surge, so there isn't any one round delay before the surge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poison is applied at the start of your hero phase. If that kills your hero, he is out for this turn. The surge will be spent next time aroundat the start of your hero phase.

Both poison and surge share "start" timing- I play it surging at one less hp. Has there been an official ruling on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
Poison is applied at the start of your hero phase. If that kills your hero, he is out for this turn. The surge will be spent next time aroundat the start of your hero phase.

Both poison and surge share "start" timing- I play it surging at one less hp. Has there been an official ruling on this?

Yes, there has. Page 9:

Quote:
Condition: Poisoned

✦ While Poisoned, your Hero takes 1 damage at the beginning of your Hero Phase. Take this damage before using any Treasure cards and before checking to see if your Hero must spend a Healing Surge.

Follow by page 7:

Quote:
Hero Phase

1. If your Hero has 0 Hit Points, use a Healing Surge token if
one is available (see page 10).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here... let's pull it all together.

You are Poisoned and have 1 hit point remaining.

You start your turn... The Poison puts you to zero... your Hero phase is over as lying down with zero hit points isn't very Heroic..

Next turn comes around... you are still poisoned.. you have nothing to lose.. you are already at zero... Now you apply the surge as the condition is met to allow it.

Thus.. you are now standing.. you have as many hit points as your surge value.. and you are still poisoned.

With luck you'll roll away that poison after your Hero Phase ends.

Now.. that's how everyone is saying to play it.. I understand the other point.. and feel free to play it that way.. it almost seems like the official word makes it more confusing. It _seems_ like they worded poisoned to allow it to be followed by a healing surge. ... which would be more fun.. and I think opting on the side of fun is a good idea.

Play it they way it's most fun for your group... and if you can't agree.. use paper, rock, scissors to decide.. or say .. odd you can use the surge now.. even you wait a turn.. and roll the d20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Scally
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This question seems to come up with regularity. I can't see any room for ambiguity in the official rule (however players might choose to house rule it).

"While Poisoned, your Hero takes 1 damage at the beginning of your Hero Phase. Take this damage before using any Treasure cards and before checking to see if your Hero must spend a Healing Surge."

So, if you commence your Hero phase with a single HP and you are not Poisoned you may use a Treasure Card (eg Potion) to recover some HP. But if you are Poisoned you do not get that chance. You lose the single HP. But the Hero phase does not end there. According to the rule quoted you immediately (no full turn delay) check the Hero's HP and 'must' spend a surge if one is available.

It is true that when HP are reduced to zero in Exploration or Villain phases the Hero waits for the start of their next Hero phase to perform the HP check. The Poison damage explicitly (rule) gets in ahead of that check.

I'm fairly sure that's how the experienced players on this forum interpret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:

So my next question with this is.

1.1)If player 1 draws a troll on turn A, he is then not allowed to draw a second troll on his next turn, B? Is that correct?

Also my other question has provoked no response...

2B.1)If Regis is poisoned and then uses his Hide ability, can he still roll to see if he gets a 10+?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tdlind wrote:
1.1)If player 1 draws a troll on turn A, he is then not allowed to draw a second troll on his next turn, B? Is that correct?

Depends of course on whether that Troll #1 is still in play and if Player 1 has been handed the card by another player. Say in a 2-player game, P1 does his turn, draws T1, activates and hands it to P2, who does his turn and hands T1 to P1, who does his turn, but now draws T2, which would be discarded as he already has T1.

Hmm, thinking about it, since a troll is always moved to the next player (IIRC), you'd need an Encounter or Adventure-specific trigger that has multiple players drawing a monster each to get both Trolls into play, no?

Also my other question has provoked no response...

Quote:
2B.1)If Regis is poisoned and then uses his Hide ability, can he still roll to see if he gets a 10+?

Hide is used at the end of Regis's Hero Phase, so he would roll first and then use Hide. On the turn he un-Hides, you have two "start of hero phase" triggers so the active player chooses the order IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros
Greece
Thessaloniki (mostly), Trikala (sometimes), Meteora (at least once per Trikala trip), Athens (whenever possible), -how many more characters does it accept? Impressive! so I'm moving on with my list- Koromilia, Kavourotripes, Samothraki, Jogja, Bruxelles..
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Hmm, thinking about it, since a troll is always moved to the next player (IIRC), you'd need an Encounter or Adventure-specific trigger that has multiple players drawing a monster each to get both Trolls into play, no?
No, if Drizzt has T1 and uses his utility power to have it not activate that turn, then the next character can get T2 and after it activates, it passes to Drizzt. There you go! 2 Trolls!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kasca wrote:
You lose the single HP. But the Hero phase does not end there. According to the rule quoted you immediately (no full turn delay) check the Hero's HP and 'must' spend a surge if one is available.

It is true that when HP are reduced to zero in Exploration or Villain phases the Hero waits for the start of their next Hero phase to perform the HP check.

It says on page 10- "if your hero is at 0 hp at the start of your turn-"
You have to wait for the full circle if you drop from poison at the start of your hero phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
kasca wrote:
You lose the single HP. But the Hero phase does not end there. According to the rule quoted you immediately (no full turn delay) check the Hero's HP and 'must' spend a surge if one is available.

It is true that when HP are reduced to zero in Exploration or Villain phases the Hero waits for the start of their next Hero phase to perform the HP check.

It says on page 10- "if your hero is at 0 hp at the start of your turn-"
You have to wait for the full circle if you drop from poison at the start of your hero phase.

Taking damage from poison also happens at the start of your turn. That's why on page 9 it says "Take this damage before using any Treasure cards and before checking to see if your Hero must spend a Healing Surge."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.