Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's that time of year where I'm getting an influx of money but am not sure what to do with it. I know I want to buy something and I'm pretty sure I want to buy new games, but my brain is so burned out on looking at different games to buy that I really can't decide what I'd like to get.

I'll start with the particulars first. My main game group is between myself and my two uncles weekly every Thursday night, so we usually have 3 players. My 8 year old cousin occasionally likes to join in, but we usually prefer to play more complex games than she can handle at her age, so I got King of Tokyo to placate her while we play the meatier games after she goes to bed. I occasionally have old college buddies down on weekends to play with my father and then my group can swell to about 6 players. I also, infrequently, get together with a friend of the family and his sons to play games and again, my group size will swell to about 6 players in those instances. In other words, I am looking for games that play best with 3 but would not be averse to them supporting up to 6 well. If they don't support 6 players, though, that's fine, as I have games suited to both group sizes.

My uncles are big into the Ameritrash style; they're RPG junkies from back in the old days, so they tend to prefer more thematic games. My other groups, on the other hand, tend to go more Euro, especially the friend of the family and his sons.

I don't really have a set budget here. I have $200 I could spend, though I'd like to spend less. I would probably go as high as $150, though, if I saw the merit in it. I don't care if this means buying a couple of bigger games or several smaller games, but I'd prefer to stick with games that are in-print and easy to acquire from Amazon/CoolStuffInc, to take advantage of free shipping.

I do want one of the games (or two) to be a fantasy and/or space game. To help you narrow the field, I'll list the games that I have played and liked/disliked in each genre:

Fantasy

Liked
Talisman
Runebound (although I later sold it)
Chaos in the Old World (although I sold it, I wouldn't mind owning it again)

Disliked
Defenders of the Realm
Dungeonquest (third edition)

Never even gave a chance before selling

Dungeon Run
Mage Knight (rules looked far too complex for its own good)

Space

Liked
Galactic Emperor (but later sold)
Ascending Empires (but later sold)
Race for the Galaxy (sold because no one else liked it)
Cosmic Encounter (don't really like it that much and a friend has it so I don't need it)
Alien Frontiers

Disliked
Ad Astra
Twilight Imperium 3rd (just took too long)

Never even gave a chance
Eclipse (I KNOW, crucify me)

So based on what I liked, I would appreciate it if you have a good suggestion for either or both of those genres. Other than that, if you have suggestions for games that are best with 3 and tend to be Ameritrashy but possibly with a good Euro thrown in as well, I would certainly appreciate it. I just need external help here to decide because I've gone cuckoo the last week trying to find a game that fits in the database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex: Final Days of an Empire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough... Ameritrash and Euro like... Well, I don't feel like there is a lot of Euro to it, but have you looked into Arkham Horror. It scales well and is a pretty good game and it RGPish in nature.

The only game I can really think of with both elements would be Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, but you really have to be a zombie moive fan to enjoy the game.

The first game that popped into my mind was Railways of the World, but I see you already have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't fit all you say, but how about Lords of Waterdeep?

Plays great with 3, and supports up to 5 (I haven't tried it.) and is just loads of fun. Even the 8 y.o. should be able to join in with a little coaching, though the box says 12 and up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
Doesn't fit all you say, but how about Lords of Waterdeep?

Plays great with 3, and supports up to 5 (I haven't tried it.) and is just loads of fun. Even the 8 y.o. should be able to join in with a little coaching, though the box says 12 and up.

Excellent suggestion. Hence why I own it. It is a great little game, isn't it?

Quote:
Rex: Final Days of an Empire

Yeah, I thought that would be good, but it's just not Dune. It's too mechanically sound. Part of what made Dune fun was how unbalanced and wild it could be. By fixing that, it seems like FFG ripped the soul out of the game.

Quote:
Tough... Ameritrash and Euro like... Well, I don't feel like there is a lot of Euro to it, but have you looked into Arkham Horror. It scales well and is a pretty good game and it RGPish in nature.

While definitely a good suggestion, I have already played and owned it on two separate occasions with two separate groups. Neither one really ended well, though I have always looked to give it a third shot. Still unsure.

Quote:
The only game I can really think of with both elements would be Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, but you really have to be a zombie moive fan to enjoy the game.

Yeah. Wasn't a big fan of it. I thought it was certainly a good zombie game, but it was too random and fiddly for my tastes.

Still, though, you guys went to the monumental task of parsing my post and offering me suggestions. I am certainly grateful for that. One thing I might clarify that could help future recommendations from posters is that I need not have a game that has Euro/Ameritrash elements in it. I am completely happy with buying a total Ameritrash and total Eurogame (or even several, up to my stated maximum of $150). The elements need not mesh, as these groups are pretty separate and distinct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a great 3-player experience with your Ameritrash-loving uncles, you should do whatever it takes to run down a copy of Risk: Star Wars Original Trilogy Edition. I know it sounds unlikely, but you'll be amazed at how beautifully it works from both a thematic and gameplay perspective. One player is the Empire (and yes, they control a DeathStar), a second represents the Rebels, and a third the Hutts. Trust me on this, it is brilliant. It also works with 5 (two Empire and two Rebel players).

The other suggestion I'd make is Merchants & Marauders. This is another very rich thematic game that is a blast to play, and works great with three. For a game with more euro feel that still works thematically, I'd say Cyclades is worth looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on Cyclades. It's a great dudes on a map game with good theme and components.

One might think it takes a while to play, but games go really quickly (we often play multiple games back to back). The game really hinges around the auction bidding for gods, so while it's pretty thematic it does rely on that mechanic to drive the play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
For a great 3-player experience with your Ameritrash-loving uncles, you should do whatever it takes to run down a copy of Risk: Star Wars Original Trilogy Edition. I know it sounds unlikely, but you'll be amazed at how beautifully it works from both a thematic and gameplay perspective. One player is the Empire (and yes, they control a DeathStar), a second represents the Rebels, and a third the Hutts. Trust me on this, it is brilliant. It also works with 5 (two Empire and two Rebel players).

The other suggestion I'd make is Merchants & Marauders. This is another very rich thematic game that is a blast to play, and works great with three. For a game with more euro feel that still works thematically, I'd say Cyclades is worth looking at.

I forgot about Cyclades! Thanks for reminding me of that one, Sphere. I'll have to give it another look. As for the length, as long as it's 3 hours or under, it shouldn't be a problem. We're currently embroiled in a Talisman phase right now, so we're not averse to longer games.

Although I do enjoy the idea of Star Wars Risk, would you not say that Risk Legacy is a better (and easier to acquire) game? Admittedly, I'm not sure how much fun it would be with 3, but Risk is easy enough that my cousin could probably pick it up no problem. I wonder if Legacy would be good with 4.

I've seen Merchants and Marauders before but never bothered to read up on it because of the hokey box art. I'll take a deeper look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't board game, but if you wanna try one shot RPG without game master it could be this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
btw Indonesia is exciting economic game, thought not sure it fits you price/availability constrains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:
Quote:

Yeah. Wasn't a big fan of it. I thought it was certainly a good zombie game, but it was too random and fiddly for my tastes.

Yeah, me neither, that is why I traded it away.

I hear Dominant Species is a good game, but I have yet to try it out, just seems a little too much going on for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Montgomery
United States
West Haven
Utah
flag msg tools
Can I take my tun back?
badge
Can I take my tun back?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
+1 on Cyclades. It's a great dudes on a map game with good theme and components.

One might think it takes a while to play, but games go really quickly (we often play multiple games back to back). The game really hinges around the auction bidding for gods, so while it's pretty thematic it does rely on that mechanic to drive the play.

I would suggest getting the Cyclades: Hades expansion too, if that's the route you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:
Although I do enjoy the idea of Star Wars Risk, would you not say that Risk Legacy is a better (and easier to acquire) game? Admittedly, I'm not sure how much fun it would be with 3, but Risk is easy enough that my cousin could probably pick it up no problem. I wonder if Legacy would be good with 4.

Legacy does fine with 4; that's how my group started. We added a 5th, though, and that definitely improved it. 3 is another story; I wouldn't bother. Especially since I own R:SWOT. Take it from a guy who owns, plays and recommends both games; if you're going to be playing with 3, R:SWOT is the one you want. If you go to the trouble to find it, you'll be glad you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will certainly keep that in mind, Sphere. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darian - grab Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition). It was really, really fun when I played it and would (mostly) fit the bill for your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized nobody has mentioned Nexus Ops. It's a great dudes on a map game that you and your uncles will love, but plays quickly easily enough that it will be no problem to include your 8 year old cousin. This hits on all cylinders; highly thematic Ameritrash, space theme, works great with 2, 3 or 4 players, plays in 1-2 hours, readily available. Seriously, this fits your criteria like a glove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.