Popular Tags: [View All]
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot!

http://l.aunch.us/WbkQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
http://rftg.goko.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elltrain wrote:

I was first!

hater
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooh, nice!

Thanks a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nishadham
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great, but this isn't the long-trumpeted official Rio Grande Games one, is it? not a lot of information on that screen... will it have AI opponents? will it have any of the expansions?
... either way i'll help test it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:

fixed that URL for ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the first people they want to have test the game are the people who have the most friends who also want to test the game. Seems legit :-P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keldon Jones
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is indeed the official one, and as Tom has hinted previously, I'm the main developer. It will have the same rules engine (with some bug fixes) and AI (with many bug fixes) as my currently available version. It should have support for all 3 current expansions, and hopefully Alien Artifacts as well.

The user interface is completely new -- if you've seen the short Goko video with the Dominion clips, it looks somewhat like a hybrid of that and my existing RFTG program.
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrkeldon wrote:
This is indeed the official one, and as Tom has hinted previously, I'm the main developer.

Then it will be terrific. I can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea why the "app" needs my phone contacts (as read in the privacy policy).

I also wonder what the difference is between a "telephone number" and a "phone number" as both are collected.

https://rftg.goko.com/prefinery/privacy.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
mrkeldon wrote:
It should have support for all 3 current expansions, and hopefully Alien Artifacts as well.

These expansions -- while supported in the back end -- will be rolled out gradually over the next several months, along with a few new items.

Initially, just the base game and the Gathering Storm expansion will be available. The AA expansion will not be available online until sometime in 2013.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nishadham
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrkeldon wrote:
This is indeed the official one, and as Tom has hinted previously, I'm the main developer.

Tom Lehmann wrote:
Initially, just the base game and the Gathering Storm expansion will be available.

This is awesome news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
Elltrain wrote:

I was first!

hater

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mkaen
msg tools
mrkeldon wrote:

Tom Lehmann wrote:
mrkeldon wrote:
It should have support for all 3 current expansions, and hopefully Alien Artifacts as well.

These expansions -- while supported in the back end -- will be rolled out gradually over the next several months, along with a few new items.

This is great news !!

But will there be offline vs. AI for mobile ? This is the most crucial feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrkeldon wrote:
This is indeed the official one, and as Tom has hinted previously, I'm the main developer. It will have the same rules engine (with some bug fixes) and AI (with many bug fixes) as my currently available version. It should have support for all 3 current expansions, and hopefully Alien Artifacts as well.

The user interface is completely new -- if you've seen the short Goko video with the Dominion clips, it looks somewhat like a hybrid of that and my existing RFTG program.

You rock so hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the galaxy is a professional and classy product.
But this feels like someone is promoting their crappy flash game. I generally hate those link whore games and I think it feels unprofessionall.

Being fooled into sharing links so I get some benefit is just a way to generate "shares". yes we live in the age of twittbook and share or die... but does rftg really need this marketing strategy?

I believe the product will be great. And I'm happy that there are finally some news about this, but I'm a little bit disappointed by the way this is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nishadham
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@mrkeldon,
Are your version, and your server, still going to be up once this comes out? I haven't been able to connect for the last couple of days btw, have you already taken it down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
countcb wrote:
Race for the galaxy is a professional and classy product.
But this feels like someone is promoting their crappy flash game. I generally hate those link whore games and I think it feels unprofessionall.

Being fooled into sharing links so I get some benefit is just a way to generate "shares". yes we live in the age of twittbook and share or die... but does rftg really need this marketing strategy?

I believe the product will be great. And I'm happy that there are finally some news about this, but I'm a little bit disappointed by the way this is done.

This is the same company that is floundering in the wake of the supposed Dominion release yesterday. Please follow that release before getting too excited about another one of their products.

I've really grown to love RftG, and the AI. However, as someone witnessing the Dominion debacle minute-by-minute, I'm not going to get too excited yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkaen wrote:
weezknight wrote:
This is the same company that is floundering in the wake of the supposed Dominion release yesterday. Please follow that release before getting too excited about another one of their products.

Yes, that release has been rather disgusting and makes me deeply concerned about what it could mean for the future of other games I love, including Race for the Galaxy. I adore RftG, and would hate to see it treated as poorly as Dominion...turned into some Farmville-esque microtransaction-laden junk that I want nothing to do with.

I think Keldon and Tom need to answer some questions before we can allow ourselves any true excitement at the potential RftG release:

- Will there be offline play vs. AI? (this is crucial.)
- Will there be Zynga-style microtransactions to get ahead vs. the AI or other players? (goko's Dominion already has these things).
- Will we be able to pay once for the game, and once per expansion, at reasonable prices, and then take the game anywhere, including pass-and-play offline?

The prospect of RftG on mobile is super exciting, and I trust Keldon to write good software (too bad he can't do a native iOS app!)... But there's the goko factor, and frankly I expect them to muck it all up. So until it's out, I'll keep my expectations low, and resign myself to not having a quality RftG -- one I feel good about supporting -- on my mobile device for a long time, if ever.
What I'm most sad about is that RGG will probably never be able to authorize Keldon to create RftG AA for PC. It was so well done that I donated $20 for all the work up to and including the 2nd exp. He didn't even need to release BoW to have my $$. Even though at that point, there was only word by him that he would implement BoW, and word by RGG to allow him to do so, everything up to that point was so good that I just had to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
mkaen wrote:
I think Keldon and Tom need to answer some questions before we can allow ourselves any true excitement

Neither Keldon nor myself are trying to drum up customer excitement. The primary goals for the RFTG Beta are A) to iterate on the UI based on customer feedback and B) stress testing.

We do not control Goko's business decisions. There are certainly areas where we have argued for other choices. Obviously, Goko is going to look again at various decisions based on the Dominion feedback and may make changes that could affect RFTG. All we can do is try to keep the RFTG code base flexible enough to be able to easily shift gears if changes occur.

If you disagree with some of Goko's business decisions, *tell them*. Goku has stated that some decisions, such as whether to support off-line play, could be revisited if there is sufficient customer demand to do so.

We also don't control the Goko "infrastructure" and "lobby" code. That being said, some security issues being reported for Dominion (such as javascript not being "escaped") do not appear in the Goko lobby code RFTG is using. Whether the code base for Dominion was frozen before these changes went in or whether these issues were encountered during Beta (and are being reported online by Beta testers), but are actually fixed in the Dominion release, I don't know. Other security issues (client/server data being passed that includes game state a player should not have, client verification, etc.) are within Keldon's control and he believes he has addressed them.

Goko has not told me their final monetization plans for RFTG. I believe the intent is that the base game is free and that expansions can be obtained by accumulating site currency either via purchase or play. However, please don't quote me on this, as my understanding may be out of date.

Again, I haven't seen the released Dominion version. However, I don't believe your characterization of Goko's monetization approach as "Zynga-style microtransactions to get ahead vs. the AI or other players" is accurate.

My understanding -- based on having seen early versions of Goko's Dominion -- is that site currency can be spent, if desired, to affect the solo AI "campaigns", but *not* normal play. This *option* is present to avoid player frustration, if a player gets "stuck" when playing a solo campaign. Now, maybe, things have changed since I last saw the Goko version...

My suggestions for getting the RFTG implementation you want:
A) Tell Goko what you want, if off-line play or pass and play is important to you. Telling me doesn't do much as I don't control Goko's business decisions.

B) Participate in the RFTG beta. Help us improve the game by identifying areas that are currently weak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mkaen
msg tools
Tom, thanks a bunch for your reply and your suggestions.

My apologies if I mischaracterized the Dominion micro transactions -- I was indeed referring to this aspect:

Tom Lehmann wrote:
site currency can be spent, if desired, to affect the solo AI "campaigns" [for Dominion], but *not* normal play
---
Tom Lehmann wrote:
My suggestions for getting the RFTG implementation you want:
A) Tell Goku what you want, if off-line play or pass and play is important to you. Telling me doesn't do much as I don't control Goku's business decisions.

B) Participate in the RFTG beta. Help us improve the game by identifying areas that are currently weak.
I signed up as soon as I could and look forward to providing constructive feedback wherever possible.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
A couple of people have commented in other threads that they don't know how to give Goko feedback and suggestions.

* Post suggestions in the Goko ideas forum here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/ideas/popular

* Thumb suggestions you agree with. For example, here's a request for offline and asynchronous play for both Dominion and RFTG:

https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/offline_and_asynchro...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another good one to thumb--pass & play multi-player:

https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/pass_play_multiplaye...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Estes
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
Tom Lehmann wrote:

Again, I haven't seen the released Dominion version. However, I don't believe your characterization of Goko's monetization approach as "Zynga-style microtransactions to get ahead vs. the AI or other players" is accurate.

Oh, it's accurate; just maybe not in regards to RftG...yet.

From http://www.geekwire.com/2012/massively-fun-sets-sail-settler...

Quote:
The game is free, but Goko, Catan GmbH and Massively Fun plan to make money through in-game monetization.... “It is not going to be a case of paying for more dice rolls,” said Goodale, adding that players could pay to get an option to increase the odds of receiving better development cards or additional resource production from cities or settlements. The cost of those add-on bonuses have not yet been set, but it will be in the typical micro-transaction range of 99 cents, he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
skestes wrote:
maybe not in regards to RftG...

Correct. Given the approval process for RFTG, this sort of change is unlikely to happen for RFTG. Note that the article you cite includes both Goko and the Catan licensing authority, who both agreed to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.