Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilles Kutten
Luxembourg
Bertrange
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this pop up on the preview list and I am more than interested. Now I read on the website that this will only be available in November through a Kickstarter campaign, so I am a little confused. Thanks for clearing this up. And I'll gladly pre-order...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gilles.

The good news is the game is completely done and final final files are going to the printer Monday. The bad news is we missed our Essen cut-off by two weeks.

So, the Kickstarter will begin in a week or two. People will either be able to pay extra to get copies air shipped to BGG CON or get them mailed from the container shipment in time for Christmas.

Dirk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodolphe Duhil
France
Rambouillet
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you not launch the Kickstarter campaign before going to the printer and before Gencon?

I'm very interested in the game too.

Don't forget to correct the Infinitesimal typo on the board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Kutten
Luxembourg
Bertrange
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw, that's sad for Essen. But anyway, you already got someone to pledge for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rodolphe,

We are in the process of transitioning from "Conquistador Games is a hobby brand that Dirk uses to publish games in his free time" to "Conquistador Games is a real company with a full-time employee that functions in a more normal and traditional way." For the next 6-12 months we will be transitioning from the former to the latter. During that time we will still be doing things in non-traditional ways, but getting evermore formal and systematized. In the meantime, our quality is improving every day.

The tech tree was tweaked and simplified so now Calculus is the top of the math tree, also to honour the real-life battle of Newton and Leibniz. So my spelling problems have thus been hidden. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gilles. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marthe Syversen
Norway
Olsvik
Hordaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am really sorry to hear that it wont make it to Essen, its one of the games I anticipated the most. I probably wont be able to kickstart it as the shipping to europe is too high. Will it be distributed to uk gamestores, or even better, in Norway.

Also, i dont understand why you will kickstart it at all, ad you seems to already have the funds to print it. To me thats an abuse of the kickstarter system. Thats just my personal opinion though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Kutten
Luxembourg
Bertrange
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most of the small boardgame businesses use Kickstarter to widen their margin. Bigger margin means bigger investment means better components. You just have to take a look at the "Road to Enlightnment" game (which arrived today) from the same publisher. So kickstarting it, is using on one hand the community to get the game to level and make it shinier than investing once own meager savings..
IMHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Market Harborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Ne Oublie
badge
You're feeling dizzy... Now all your boardgames belong to me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be a Kickstarter option to get Road to Enlightenment with it as well? Missed the deadline...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Marthe, I'm sorry as well. At this point we have no deals with overseas distributors.

Regarding Kickstarter, it is pretty generally accepted at this point - including by Kickstarter themselves - that it is not a service simply for garage entrepreneurs but for any creative individuals or companies looking to connect more closely and directly with their consumers. We are legitimately still a start-up and need the funds to continue but, for example, Steve Jackson Games - a very wealthy game company - recently raised almost $1,000,000 on Kickstarter for a reprint of just one of their games. It has really been accepted as a mainstream service at this point.

Pretending we DIDN'T need the money I would still use Kickstarter. The structure of it leads people to pre-order in far larger numbers than they do on traditional "P500" systems. This allows games to get out to consumers more quickly. It also, and I think this is really consumer-friendly, allows us to do things we otherwise never would do. For instance, as backer options and/or stretch rewards we are considering a wide variety of things, ranging from a mini-book on the scientific revolution and things covered in the game, to posters of the scientists, and beyond. This would be utterly impossible without a mechanism to really focus and accelerate purchases. It allows us to consider a more total and lovely experience.

We are just a start-up - this is but game two - and we've already made some mistakes. I've taken a lot of lumps over the manual of our first game. And it is justified, I'm commenting not complaining. But we are learning and truly trying our best to do well by our customers. The precious funds from Kickstarter are certainly a key part of that.

Thanks again for your interest and I deeply regret not being able to get the games to Essen. It will be a better game because of it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, we can certainly offer this as a package. Good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marthe Syversen
Norway
Olsvik
Hordaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Dirk, thanks for explaining!

Are you going to do anything to make the game available in Norway? Its a huge boardgame market here, and its stupid to ignore it.
I really want your game, you see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marthe,

We do not have plans at the moment. I am very open to working with a Norwegian distributor but don't have any leads much less relationships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marthe Syversen
Norway
Olsvik
Hordaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dirk, I will ask my local board game store to order it when its ready
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusen takk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know there is only one Norwegian distributor:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/14078/venner...

Knut Strømfors is the man in charge, contacting him might be a good idea if you want it distributed in Norwegian. Some of the titles they distribute are: Dominion and Ubongo.

Another publisher that does games for the Nordic countries, often in a multilanguage package is lautapelit
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/3218/lautape...
some of their distribution titels are: Kingdom Builder and Puerto Rico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming this will be available for purchase post-Kickstarter? This might be a try before I buy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Pizarro
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
I'm assuming this will be available for purchase post-Kickstarter? This might be a try before I buy game.

Absolutely.

--bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.