Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was kind of under the impression that the point of an LCG was so that you could get a single boxed set and not have to spend extra 'chasing' cards like in a CCG (and winding up with lots of extras you don't want). Then I hear about people getting multiple copies of base sets and things like that... doesn't that sort of just lead the same problem? I guess you know the cost going in and don't have to spend as much, but it's still a money-chase game. Whoever buys multiple copies gets an advantage. And you still have extra copies of less useful cards.

I haven't gotten into an LCG because none interested me so far. Netrunner and/or Star Wars might interest me, though. But the multiple-base sets issue seems just as bad as CCG marketing. Maybe worse because I feel like it's almost false advertising. Why not just limit decks to what's in one copy of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I agree. (Probably because I am an old-time CCG guy who never minded the CCG distribution angle.)

Although I'm sure people will say the gulf between "pure blind-purchase collectible game" and "you need 2 Core Sets, maybe 3 at the most" is wide enough to not equate the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This debate has raged a long time on these boards.

In my opinion, despite the potential need to buy multiple core sets for tournament play, the fact remains that you know what's in the package when you buy it. No rares in other words.

Supposedly, the idea is to get new players in to the game, not in to tournament play.

I have to say I'm not a fan of hobby card games in general based on my experience with Sentinals of the Multiverse (admittedly my first foray). I have a set of the original base game. Problem is, it is now obsolete due to all the freaking errata and also the fact that there is now a higher quality reprint available.

Can I still play? Sure. But that set is now relatively worthless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrogdog wrote:
In my opinion, despite the potential need to buy multiple core sets for tournament play, the fact remains that you know what's in the package when you buy it. No rares in other words.

The rares are the cards there is only 1x of in the core set; the commons are the cards you'll have 9x of, i.e. 6x useless copies, if you buy 3 core sets to complete your playset of rares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but you KNOW that if you buy more sets you'll get the cards you want.

Not so with a CCG. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind it.

First, as mentioned, we're only talking about the base set; the expansions (now) all come with 3x of every card.

Second, this really only affects "tournament" play, and honestly I've never been to an LCG tournament -- I'm not sure how many LCG players go?

Third, I often find having multiple extra copies of the "common" cards makes it easier to make multiple decks, which is especially handy when you are the only one with the game and thus making balanced decks for friends to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PS - if I'm playing an LCG so much that I feel the need or desire to get a 2nd or 3rd base set, then it's almost certain I'm getting my money's worth out of the game, heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Scrogdog wrote:
This debate has raged a long time on these boards.
Sez the guy who got here less than a year ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just goes to show you how many topics have been created about it in a short time.

I probably would have been better served by saying "this comes up a lot".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
So I was kind of under the impression that the point of an LCG was so that you could get a single boxed set and not have to spend extra 'chasing' cards like in a CCG (and winding up with lots of extras you don't want).

And indeed, that's how I've played all of mine. One core set makes for a decent game. I've picked up some expansions, but haven't actually played enough to use them in a game... blush

FlyingArrow wrote:
Then I hear about people getting multiple copies of base sets and things like that... doesn't that sort of just lead the same problem? I guess you know the cost going in and don't have to spend as much, but it's still a money-chase game. Whoever buys multiple copies gets an advantage. And you still have extra copies of less useful cards.

It depends how you play it. If you only have one core set for your gaming group, obviously this isn't a problem: you're all playing out of the same card pool.

Even if everyone is building their decks independently, extra core sets don't help you as much as you might think. (Call of Cthulhu possibly excepted.) The "prebuilt" decks come with doubles of some cards, and triples (a full play set) of others. With an extra core set, you might gain a slight advantage, but I doubt it's more than 10%. (School of Made Up Statistics, go!) A third core set gives you even less, since you already have full choice of the "commons" and "uncommons", and 2 out of a legal 3 of all the "rares". And obviously, any further expenditures will be pure duplication.

FlyingArrow wrote:
I haven't gotten into an LCG because none interested me so far. Netrunner and/or Star Wars might interest me, though. But the multiple-base sets issue seems just as bad as CCG marketing. Maybe worse because I feel like it's almost false advertising. Why not just limit decks to what's in one copy of the game?

I think you're setting up a pretty fierce false equivalence. FFG doesn't make a secret of any of this, so I'm not sure why you would consider it false advertising. And you really don't need multiple base sets to play an enjoyable game.

The point of an LCG is being able to design your own decks. If you want to limit the decks to what's in one copy of the game, you either get a very static game (because you limit the variety of cards while keeping full play sets of each), a very random game (because you only include single copies of cards, reducing synergies and predictability), or a very expensive game (because you include 3 copies of 300 unique cards). I think they've found a happy medium: a single core set suffices for most, with the possibility of buying multiple core sets if you have your heart set on the "very expensive game" option. And even three core sets will set you back less than a box of CCG boosters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.