Popular Tags: [View All]
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Warning: A little bit of blood at the halfway point.

Crash is at 2:44.

Embedding is disabled. Click the link to watch on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDu0jYiz-v8

"This is unprecedented footage of a small airplane crash from inside the cockpit from two different views. Miraculously, everyone survived. The pilot will make a full recovery and the rest of us escaped with superficial injuries and feel very lucky to be alive. ... Due to warming temperatures there was an increase in density altitude and we had a hard time getting adequate lift. After taking off we hit an air pocket that made us rapidly loose altitude, pushing us down into the trees. ..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My coworker (who is a pilot) showed me this. Apparently, the pilot in this video is really stupid and my coworker could have told him even before he took off that he was going to crash. They're already flying a type of small plane which climbs slowly under ideal conditions. Then you add the extra weight and the heat which changes the density of the air. It's just poor planning. Glad they all walked away from it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disabled
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I ain't watching that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't even consider watching this.

When I attended Law Enforcement Academy in Abilene, Texas, during the course, we had to watch "gross videos" of various accidents, incidents and crimes caught on tape.

One was the recovery of two bodies from the crash of a small plane that had occurred a couple of years back. A few minutes into the video the narrator named the town where the plane had crashed. And my stomach dropped.

I was from that town and knew the people killed in the crash.

I got up and left the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I was a pilot once (well, technically I still am, but I doubt I'll ever fly again.) Back on December 6th of 2001 I got to experience a helicopter crash first hand. I still say the greatest single moment of my life happened about 5 mins after the Huey burst into flames, but that is story best told after a few scotches.

As a professional military pilot, I have had the opportunity to study MANY crashes, some of which included video. When you study a crash, it is very comforting to be able to identify what the pilot did wrong. You are able to convince yourself that you wouldn't make that mistake, and it is therefore still safe for you to keep flying. Back in 2009 my friend who shared an office with me and was my assistant OpsO scheduled to replace me in two months was killed in a mishap. His AH-1W was struck in flight by a USCG C-130. Some of you may remember the crash. This one was very difficult to take because he didn't do anything wrong. He was on altitude, lights on, sqwacking, and he and his young copilot where snuffed out anyway. This was a hard one to reconcile in my head.

The most chilling mishap video I saw was of two US Army helos flying a night flight somewhere on the east coast. I remember them being AH-64's, but could be mis-remembering. What stuck with me was the internal conversation on the lead aircraft which consisted of the pilot's repeating saying to each other "He looks like he's going to fly right into those wire> What's he doing?" Neither pilot thought to make a radio call to alert the second aircraft, which hit the wires killing everyone on board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.