United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally got to sit down this week and get Space Empires on the table with the Wednesday night crew. I have played a few solo games and 2 face to face basic games, but really wanted to try a game with all the rules (IMHO the only way to play).

Pete showed up early (I happened to be hosting this week) and mentioned that he was interested in playing and had read the rules. Additionally George and Pat expressed interest, but had not even seen the game before.

We decided to play a 4 player map with teams of 2 and 1 Homeworld sacked would be victory. My goal was for everyone to get the game mechanics down so that future plays would be more common. We have the teams share a board edge to enable better private communications, in hindsight I think sitting diagonal from your team mate would make for a more exciting game as it turned out we really played something that was more like 2 games on the same board, however I feel that teams works well regardless and was a excellent way for Pete and I to teach 2 complete newbies how to play easily.

After the 1st complete turn everyone pretty much had the rules down and things began to move. We played simultaneously until people got close enough to attach and then began to determine turn order.

Seeing as how none of user were experienced players strategies were all over the map. Pat went for pipelines, Pete for hull size, me for fighters and George played balanced. All of us made mistakes (mine was getting a carrier nailed by mines) and learned a few things.

In the end we had to call it short as it was getting late. I am pretty sure that Pete would have nailed my homeworld in a turn or 2. He had crippled my economy and I was really on the ropes without a real plan for turning things around.

Everyone who played really enjoyed the game and I am optimistic about getting more playes soon with these guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you had fun. Would definitely recommend allies sitting diagonal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty much down for teaching SE4X any time to anyone willing to trek up to my house in Round Rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
I am pretty much down for teaching SE4X any time to anyone willing to trek up to my house in Round Rock.

Good man.thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:

I got a sister in law there, so next time i make it down I may take you up on that.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.