Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Being an avid tabletop miniature gamer and having bought this game this week with some plays in my account, I'm thinking about a way to turn this thing into a more interesting challenge: Army Building in Skirmish Mode

Skirmish Rules gives us some guidelines to do this, for example, the number of total units and the mix and match of those units class and rank. It also gives us the number of 'points' we can spent on Commanders (and they have their points on their cards).

So, what we need is a sort of formula to break the info on those cards into points to each unit (class + rank).
And also a standart number of points to a good balanced game (maybe on the same page of a standart skirmish game with 2 Commanders).

Do you have any suggestion about it?
I have two options I've thought about:
1. keep the same point structure used in Commanders making the lowest unit (Infantry, Green) 1 point each and the highest (Cavalry, Red) the same as the highest Commander (4, I guess)
2. multiply the value on those Commanders by 10 and work in multiples of 10, this way the spectrum of points would be larger and providing a more accurate value between units (class and rank).

This would turn this game into something more in the likes of tabletop miniature games, where the player has a budget of points he/she can spend in troops for his/her army, and test that army on the field.

So, what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking among similar lines since this is a cool direction to take the game.

I have not spotted a good system for assigning value to the units yet though.

Having both diffrent unit types and ranks does makes it a bit confusing to get a solid feel for balance.

I guess if all the skirmish cards (commanders aside) are equal in value then there is most likely an underlying system that was used for balance reasons. Problem is that it needs someone math inclined break down the probable value of each type and rank given the distribution on the cards that exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carlos, I would be very interested in what you come up with. I haven't bought the game yet, but it looks terrific, and I love the theme (avid Game of Thrones reader, TV series watcher...Esme Bianco...wow!) I have been following all the threads on BoW for awhile now, so I would like to hear what all of you think, or create.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello y'all,
Back from vacations!

I will now compile all the cards in an Excel file and see what can we do from there!

Cheers and thanks!

@Scott, if you know anyone near you with this game, or some gaming group, give it a run.
This is the stronger title in the series (BattleCry, BattleLore, Memoir'44, Commands and Colors), at least from my perspective, so it's worth the dollars. I had BattleLore and Memoir '44 and neither one gave me the tactical depth of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.