Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Rasmussen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group of friends doesn't play abstracts, so I rarely have opportunity to explore them. I do have one odd friend that I'm convinced would strip out all the theme to any game and play it as an abstract. Fortunately for me we are currently working in the same building and have a little time to do things other then work. I waved Rise! in front of him last week and we set it up.

Day one saw us make several major rules errors, resulting in several re-starts. We finished out first game fairly quickly, noted all our tactical blunders, grimaced at the rules errors and went home.

Day two, the re-match of sorts. He had gone online overnight and did as much research as he could on the game. There isn't an awful lot out there yet. I simply blundered into the game with a few new ideas of my own. 2 HOURS LATER he had his victory. For my part, I continued to lean by doing.

Several days passed and we got to our second game played by the rules. This one only lasted an HOUR AND A HALF. Granted, we are still learning, but we are good enough to not make a lot of mistakes, or at least recover from them reasonably well. There is a fair amount of "think time" which might get shorter, but I am thinking that as our comprehension grows, our mistakes will lessen and we will continue to have long, drawn out back and forth slogs. The two of us might be considered 'competitive'.

So, my subject line comes from a comment made out of the blue while studying the mid-game an hour in. "30 Minutes my ***!"

There are tons of decisions to make, area control to consider, positioning for the future, when to make a move to build, when not to. How to defend a build, or when not to bother. How to attack a build and when not to.

That said, we are really enjoying this little game. Just don't expect to get it in over a lunch break if you are well matched with your opponent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the GOOD news.
Glad to know the game is more than just a
lunch quickie. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Nickell
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric,

I wish that I could watch your games because they should not be taking anywhere near that time. In the hundreds of games that Michael and I have ever played of Rise! I've never seen one game go beyond 60 minutes and that was a rarity as well as a very thoughtful game between to very contemplative and strategic opponents. When a game of Rise! runs long between to thoughtful opponents in usually maxes out at 45 minutes.

The vast majority of games of Rise! do indeed fit within the 20-30 minute time period. As gamers Michael and I find it to be a huge annoyance when companies print unrealistic play time son their box so we made sure to put an accurate time on the box. Perhaps there is a bit of analysis paralysis happening in your games of Rise!

I'm sure that Michael will chime in on this thread and address this issue for you. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Fleck
United States
Forks
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...maybe my son and I played it wrong then...we were done in like 16 minutes...and yes, Dad got beat again! But, it was fun and he said, "Dad this one is awesome!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.