Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
According to their website battlefoam takes like 2-3 weeks to ship. Instant gratification fail! Does anyone have a SDE battlefoam kit they'd part with, know of a place that has same in stock, or know of an off the shelf alternative that will work (such as KR?)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Looking for battle foam or equivalent
Laziness or instant gratification went head to head this weekend, and instant gratification won out. As a bonus, it brought frugality along for the ride. Six. Bucks. One 3 inch thick 14x14 inch piece of foam from Hobby Lobby is enough to store all the minis, with room for the game tiles. If I had arranged things differently, I probably could have gotten the dice, counters, and cards in as well.

Unfortunately I don't have pictures from most of the process. The first step is to reduce the size of the 14x14 sheet to the box size - roughly 12x11.5. The best tool for this, if you have one, is an electric carving knife.

(Image from this blog: http://creativelittledaisy.typepad.com/creative_little_daisy...)

After reducing the sheet to fit the box, I cut it into four additional pieces. First top to bottom, the width marked to fit starfire and the rexes. The left piece is cut top to bottom, resulting in two 3 inch deep foam blocks. The right hand side is cut across the middle, resulting in two 1.5 inch deep trays.

For the small minis, the bear and the spawn points, I cut all the way through the foam with an exacto knife. It's not very hard, just carve the shape out as deep as the knife will go. then hold the incision open as you increase the depth. Repeat until you've gone all the way through, then tear the foam plug out.

Take this plug and force it back down into the hole you've just cut so that it fits in the bottom. The thickness of this slice should be enough that the model sits below the top of the foam, but isn't so far down its hard to reach. Once all the holes have been cut and the plugs are ready, flip it over. I've cut out a piece of poster board (cardboard, card stock, should all work) to the correct size, cardboard or something similar will work as well. use a glue gun (or your favorite adhesive) to cover the foam block bottom, then apply the poster board. Flip the whole thing over and use a pen to press the foam slices down into the board, to make sure they've adhered well.

The foam block for the dragon and ogres does not have these plugs installed. Starfire especially needed the full depth of the 3 inch foam to not be stickup up over the top plane of the foam.

Afterthoughts:

I dislike the sharpie polkadots and outlines all over the foam. By the time I got to the last tray I realized it wasn't very necessary as I could trace the outline with the sharpie alone. I wish I had done this for all of them.

If I had packed things a little tighter, I think I could have gotten the tokens and dice and cards in there too.

The foam block that stores the bear and the span points has about 1/4 inch of foam in the bottom. If they sat flush on the bottom poster board, that block could be shortened by 1/4 inch on the bear side, and probably 1/2 inch on the spawn point side. I think this would allow room for the remaining game components. I'll try this out tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Got mine in less than a week from here:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/miniatures/soda-pop-miniat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that CMoN had those as an inventory item, but they're out of stock. I didn't think to ask them what delivery time would be - I assumed it would have to be special ordered from Battle Foam, and subject to their regular shipping times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, sorry about that. I got mine about a month ago and didn't think to check if it was in stock when copying the link to post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Caverns of Roxor expansion now in my possession and Glauerdoom Moor looking not too far off, I'm really looking at having to expand past the original box set. I was thinking about getting a larger generic plastic box and using Sabol pluck foam trays for this, but I like your idea more. Thanks for posting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome, glad it was helpful! I also posted this over in the DIY forum, got some good ideas from a guy there: Making foam storage for minis

The tip I'll be taking next time is to plan the layout on paper, then pin the paper to the foam. Won't have to get marker all over the foam that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've had luck creating snug little foam trays for minis with that expandable spray foam stuff. I'd tape parchment paper to the bottom and sides of a game box bottom, coat the unpainted minis in a thin layer of petroleum jelly as a release agent, place minis face down in bottom of box and spray the foam in the bottom on top of the minis. I then use another sheet of parchment paper and a couple books or something to weigh down the foam and create a flat surface. Let dry, peel away paper, pop out minis, flip the foam sheet so the divots for the minis are now on top, wash minis, paint them, and place in their respective places in the foam sheet. Usually I have room to put the bits into a plano box, the foam mini sheet on top of that, then a thin sheet of foam trimmed to fit on top.

Edit: I'd like to also mention that with minis that have lots of nooks and crannies, I still use petroleum jelly, but I then dip the mini in baby powder and tap or blow off the excess. You could buy a mold release agent or spray, but I was trying to accomplish the task on a budget, shooting for about $5 per tray. Depending on the size of the box, one can of the spray foam will work for 1 or 2 trays, but you can get cans of the stuff for anywhere between $5 and $10 depending on the quality. Often this stuff is marketed as insulation foam spray. Since I wasn't looking for perfection, I went with the cheapest available.

For the parchment paper, you want two sheets as wide as the box, so you might have to trim it, but if you put creases in the sheets where the seams in the box are, you can lay them into the box bottom in a plus symbol or cross. After the foam dries, it's then easy enough to lift it out by pulling on the ends of the bottom sheet and pull everything out with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
I've had luck creating snug little foam trays for minis with that expandable spray foam stuff. I'd tape parchment paper to the bottom and sides of a game box bottom, coat the unpainted minis in a thin layer of petroleum jelly as a release agent, place minis face down in bottom of box and spray the foam in the bottom on top of the minis. I then use another sheet of parchment paper and a couple books or something to weigh down the foam and create a flat surface. Let dry, peel away paper, pop out minis, flip the foam sheet so the divots for the minis are now on top, wash minis, paint them, and place in their respective places in the foam sheet. Usually I have room to put the bits into a plano box, the foam mini sheet on top of that, then a thin sheet of foam trimmed to fit on top.

Ingenious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Andrews
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

For anyone looking, you could also try looking for 'pick and pluck' foam - it's used for flight cases for camera gear etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.