fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
"The Sanctity of Eternal Rest for Veterans Act"
You've got to be kidding me...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/08/06/remark...

The President Of The United States Of America (elected leader of that curious country with that curious thing called the first fucking amendment to the fucking Constitution for fuck's sake) wrote:
...The second part of this bill that I want to highlight -- prohibit protesting within 300 feet of military funerals during the two hours before and two hours after a service. I supported this step as a senator. I am very pleased to be signing this bill into law. The graves of our veterans are hallowed ground. And obviously we all defend our Constitution and the First Amendment and free speech, but we also believe that when men and women die in the service of their country and are laid to rest, it should be done with the utmost honor and respect.

So I’m glad that Congress passed this bill and I hope that we can continue to do some more good bipartisan work in protecting our veterans. I’ve been advocating, for example, for a veterans job corps that could help provide additional opportunities for the men and women who are coming home as we’re winding down our operations in Afghanistan and having ended the war in Iraq. And so this is a good sign of a bipartisan spirit that I’m sure is going to carry through all the way to Election Day and beyond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
"The Sanctity of Eternal Rest for Veterans Act"
You've got to be kidding me...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/08/06/remark...

The President Of The United States Of America (elected leader of that curious country with that curious thing called the first fucking amendment to the fucking Constitution for fuck's sake) wrote:
...The second part of this bill that I want to highlight -- prohibit protesting within 300 feet of military funerals during the two hours before and two hours after a service. I supported this step as a senator. I am very pleased to be signing this bill into law. The graves of our veterans are hallowed ground. And obviously we all defend our Constitution and the First Amendment and free speech, but we also believe that when men and women die in the service of their country and are laid to rest, it should be done with the utmost honor and respect.

So I’m glad that Congress passed this bill and I hope that we can continue to do some more good bipartisan work in protecting our veterans. I’ve been advocating, for example, for a veterans job corps that could help provide additional opportunities for the men and women who are coming home as we’re winding down our operations in Afghanistan and having ended the war in Iraq. And so this is a good sign of a bipartisan spirit that I’m sure is going to carry through all the way to Election Day and beyond.

Eh. It's kind of a catch-22. If you don't vote for it or oppose it, it puts you on the side of Phelps against all veterans. Better as a politician to sign an obviously invalid law then let the supreme court be the bad guy. The american public is so fucking dumb that that's the only possible course of action for someone who wants to keep getting elected, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
As a veteran, I see no reason why veterans deserve or receive preferential treatment. Either this law applies to everyone or it is in itself unconstitutional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it should apply to all funerals. The Phelps crew protests more than just Veteran funerals.

And as has been often repeated, the 1st Ammendment is not absolute, was never meant to be, and has not been judged that way over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another case of idiot extremists restricting the rights of everyone else. It should also be for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
jmilum wrote:
I agree, it should apply to all funerals. The Phelps crew protests more than just Veteran funerals.
No, no it shouldn't. And the only way the POTUS thinks he can get away with this fascism is by couching it in the fact that it specifically targets funerals of military members. (coincidentally, a voting bloc he needs to achieve re-election.)
jmilum wrote:
And as has been often repeated, the 1st Ammendment is not absolute, was never meant to be, and has not been judged that way over the years.
The law is clearly unconstitutional, and it's sad that you're willing to roll over for it.
the ACLU wrote:
“as repellent as these protests are, they are a permissible exercise of the freedom of speech. If the First Amendment means anything, it’s that the government cannot target a group for censorship because it disagrees with the group’s message. [The Sanctity of Eternal Rest for Veterans Act] does exactly that.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
No, no it shouldn't. And the only way the POTUS thinks he can get away with this fascism is by couching it in the fact that it specifically targets funerals of military members. (coincidentally, a voting bloc he needs to achieve re-election.)

It was sponsored by the Republican Chairman of the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs. I doubt he's colluding with Obama to help his reelection chances.

Quote:
The law is clearly unconstitutional, and it's sad that you're willing to roll over for it.

Wow, it would be sad had I ever said I thought it was constitutional. I don't think it is. The bill asserts the right to do what it does from the Enumerated Powers relating to the Army and Militia:

Quote:
To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

I think that is quite a stretch for prohibiting protestors at a military funeral, but it's the reason they could only do military (well that and it's a part of a larger veterans Bill)

This is clearly a States Rights issue and 42 states already have laws on the books restricting protests at funerals to some degree. I think all 50 states should have them. They are constitutional as long as the laws are content neutral and limited or narrow in nature then they will be upheld if challenged by the SCOTUS, as they have been in the past (Madsen v. Women's Health Ctr., Frisby v. Schultz, etc).

The main reason that the court ruled in favor of the Phelps Crew in Snyder v. Phelps was because the funeral was not disrupted. The protestors were 1000 ft away. Snyder could not even read the signs or hear the protestors during the funeral, it was only later on TV that he saw and heard the shit. The SCOTUS ruled that it was only the content of their message that caused the initial court judgement for $5M against the Phelps, which is a no no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
As much as I am bothered by Mr Phelps' cult I think as soon as you start legislating against assholes you give up your right to peaceful protest.

Everyone knows they're assholes except them.

I think the GOP set up an indefensible bill for the sake of showmanship during an election year to trap our president into supporting it.

Shame on them. And shame on us for allowing such petty gamesmanship to hold such sway in the press. Had the Big O vetoed it, he would have been railed in the media "OBAMA DISHONORS OUR TROOPS" and such bullshit.

Makes me fucking sick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
As much as I am bothered by Mr Phelps' cult I think as soon as you start legislating against assholes you give up your right to peaceful protest.

Everyone knows they're assholes except them.

I think the GOP set up an indefensible bill for the sake of showmanship during an election year to trap our president into supporting it.

Shame on them. And shame on us for allowing such petty gamesmanship to hold such sway in the press. Had the Big O vetoed it, he would have been railed in the media "OBAMA DISHONORS OUR TROOPS" and such bullshit.

Makes me fucking sick.

Seems to me that's on the money. The GOP look for any excuse to portray the opposition as disloyal Americans (called swiftboating I believe, still, the greatest irony in American politics "Look at our draft dodging candidate, he's a better American then this decorated war veteran"). I also agree that they should not have their right to peaceful protest curtailed just because some people find what they say offensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jmilum wrote:
It was sponsored by the Republican Chairman of the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs. I doubt he's colluding with Obama to help his reelection chances.
And introduced in the Senate by noted RINO and soon-to-be-retired-because-Republicans-hate-me Olympia Snowe.
jmilum wrote:
I think that is quite a stretch for prohibiting protestors at a military funeral, but it's the reason they could only do military (well that and it's a part of a larger veterans Bill)
That's what I said.
jmilum wrote:
This is clearly a States Rights issue and 42 states already have laws on the books restricting protests at funerals to some degree. I think all 50 states should have them. They are constitutional as long as the laws are content neutral and limited or narrow in nature then they will be upheld if challenged by the SCOTUS, as they have been in the past (Madsen v. Women's Health Ctr., Frisby v. Schultz, etc).
Which is why the President, sworn to uphold the Constitution, has no business even approaching this nonsense.

And therein lies the rub:
A) That this sort of feelgood garbage, wrapped in the flag, is even considered in a congressional setting.
B) That this sort of feelgood garbage, wrapped in the flag, is even voted upon.
C) That this sort of feelgood garbage, wrapped in the flag, is actually passed on a federal level, in spite of ample precedent of it being shot down by the SCOTUS.
D) That this sort of feelgood garbage, wrapped in the flag, gets zero coverage anywhere because we're too busy scoring political points off of each other.

But hey, maybe John Roberts declares it a tax, and therefore fine & dandy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
rylfrazier wrote:
Eh. It's kind of a catch-22. If you don't vote for it or oppose it, it puts you on the side of Phelps against all veterans. Better as a politician to sign an obviously invalid law then let the supreme court be the bad guy. The american public is so fucking dumb that that's the only possible course of action for someone who wants to keep getting elected, IMO.
This is sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
And introduced in the Senate by noted RINO and soon-to-be-retired-because-Republicans-hate-me Olympia Snowe.

S.Con.Res. 55 was introduced in the Senate by Thomas Harkin (D).

Quote:
Which is why the President, sworn to uphold the Constitution, has no business even approaching this nonsense.

You do realize this was passed unanimously in both the House and the Senate, right? That means that it was veto proof. All the President could have done was give the GOP more bloody read meat to throw around weeks before the election. Get real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.