Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crawford
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Mission 02 is basically a race to the exit. If you ignore the buildings and take the most direct path, winning is pretty easy. In fact, if you draw Amy and the Roller Skater, it's way too easy.

If you run into the same issue, here's an easy fix: add a blockade (e.g., two cards end-to-end and declared "impassible terrain") between the buildings on tiles 7C and 5D. This forces survivors to either take the long way around the building on 7C (and thus through two spawning points) or fight their way through a building as a short cut. Either choice brings more zombies onto the board and makes for a much more interesting - and deadly - session.

Well, that's the way I dealt with it and is seems to work. Anyone else tried a house rule fix?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark MooseMCA
msg tools
Interesting. I, also, was looking to house rule mission 2 as it simply seems way too easy. Setup time seams longer than play lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mixar mixar
msg tools
Did you make sure to get the objective first? You could always add more objectives in the buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had Amy AND Josh, and the lower right spawning point never produced zombies, the game was won pretty quickly. Played again and almost had the same thing happen. Making the survivors go through the house is a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I went through the house on my second playthrough, and it's not much tougher. It buys the zombies maybe 2 more turns, and you have the plus side of getting all kitted up inside the house. As long as you don't make anyone hit yellow inside the building, it can actually be easier than the dead sprint, since you can just have a survivor or two blast the waiting zombies out of the way and have Wanda or Amy sprint to the finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Perrochon
msg tools
designer
publisher
Designer of "Startup Fever"
badge
Designer of "Startup Fever".
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. We went through the first house, which means we were well equipped. Next time I plan to put more spawning points, and require the pickup of the mission target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Yao
United States
New York
flag msg tools
If you wanted to, you can change the map so it blocks the hole that you wanted to add a blockade to. You first flip over the 7B tile to become the 5F tile. Then you take the 5D, 3C, and 2C tiles, flip them, and rotate them one space counterclockwise to come up with this map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dead Eye Dick
United States
San Francisco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this scenario once, so far. I had rollergirl skate as fast as possible to the end, no buildings, and all she had was a pan. The exit area spawned quite a lot of zombies; more than she could simply skate through, and her weapon was useless.

She died. And then did others.

It seems that success depends, at least in some major part, with whether sufficient zombies spawn near the exit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Yao
United States
New York
flag msg tools
deadeyedick wrote:
It seems that success depends, at least in some major part, with whether sufficient zombies spawn near the exit.

That brings up a easy fix, just start the map with a number of zombies already at the exit point, 3 or 4 should be a good number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if you force the group to arrive at the end together in order to defeat the group of zombies there, or to search the building for some more weapons, you instantly make this mission much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried simply banning Wanda from this mission? Is it any more difficult if she isn't on the team?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We sat an abomination on the exit hex at the start of the game. That worked.

Another idea I had for my own scenarios, but may also work well here, is to select some key weapons along with the molotov components, and randomly place them face down in various rooms with two other cards shuffled into each pile. That way you need to explore more rooms to search, but you will also definitely find what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Canada and haven't received my copy yet or otherwise had an opportunity to play the game. I just re-read the rules and noticed that players take their first turn before the first zombies spawn at spawn points. I kind of assumed there would be zombies present before the heroes got to work.

What if you start this (and any other) scenario with "#7 Zombies Turn" (e.g. "Phase 3 - Spawn" on p. 10, since there won't be any Z's to attack or move)? Or consider adding it as the last step of "#3 Setup" (on p. 3)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the mission already has an Objective token representing a medicine cabinet, I went with that theme and made it more like a sequel to mission 01:

02 Y-ZONE
Our first venture out into the zombie-infested city proved fruitful: We're stocked well enough with food and water to last us at least a few weeks. However, all the festering corpses strewn about are a nest of disease, and Wanda is so sick she can't even get out of bed. We desperately need medical supplies -- antibiotics, asprin, bandages, hell, even toothpaste -- so we're putting our lives on the line one more time...

Setup:
* Do not place the Objective token as shown on the original plan.
* Instead, place an Objective token in each of the 4 bathrooms on the plan (2 in the center-right building and 2 in the bottom building) and another in the room with the dentist's chair (top building, 2nd room from the left).

Objectives:
* Take all the Objective tokens.
* Reach the exit zone shown on the plan with at least one Survivor who collected an Objective token.

Special Rule:
* The Objective tokens represent medicine cabinets; any Survivor who takes one immediately loses a Wound card.

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
United States
Phoenix
Oregon
flag msg tools
Derkanus wrote:
Since the mission already has an Objective token representing a medicine cabinet, I went with that theme and made it more like a sequel to mission 01:

02 Y-ZONE
Our first venture out into the zombie-infested city proved fruitful: We're stocked well enough with food and water to last us at least a few weeks. However, all the festering corpses strewn about are a nest of disease, and Wanda is so sick she can't even get out of bed. We desperately need medical supplies -- antibiotics, asprin, bandages, hell, even toothpaste -- so we're putting our lives on the line one more time...

Setup:
* Instead, place an Objective token in each of the 4 bathrooms on the plan (2 in the center-right building and 2 in the bottom building) and another in the room with the dentist's chair (top building, 2nd room from the left).

Objectives:
* Reach the exit zone shown on the plan with at least one Survivor who collected an Objective token.

Special Rule:
* The Objective tokens represent medicine cabinets; any Survivor who takes one immediately loses a Wound card.

zombie

Not bad, but it seems like the survivors should escape with at least one "medicine". Also, the fluff indicates that Wanda is out for the count. That may not be necessary with the new objective(s) but I was curious if that was intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...the survivors should escape with at least one "medicine"...

That's why you have to "Reach the exit zone shown on the plan with at least one Survivor who collected an Objective token." Thematically, if a Survivor finds a medkit, they're not going to use the entire contents of the kit, so they can heal themselves with it and still have some stuff to take back.

Quote:
...Wanda is out for the count...

I was just being funny because everyone says she is the reason the scenario is so easy. I couldn't explicitly exclude her, because if someone only has the base game, then for 1, 2, 3, or 6 players they wouldn't have enough Survivors to go around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
United States
Phoenix
Oregon
flag msg tools
Derkanus wrote:
Quote:
...the survivors should escape with at least one "medicine"...

That's why you have to "Reach the exit zone shown on the plan with at least one Survivor who collected an Objective token." Thematically, if a Survivor finds a medkit, they're not going to use the entire contents of the kit, so they can heal themselves with it and still have some stuff to take back.

Weird, I must have missed that on my first read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derkanus wrote:

02 Y-ZONE

Setup:

Objectives:

Special Rule:

zombie

I like your solution, I played Y-Zone as is and beat it way too quickly, I wasn't even using Wanda. After reading your modified idea, I was thinking maybe to make it even more challenging that you have to find the blue objective, so the objectives would be placed as you suggest, but only 1 actually has medicine in it (the others have already been used up.) You'd get experience as normal for picking them up, but only the blue one is mandatory to get off the board with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branden Sprenger
United States
Collinsville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought in order to win every survivor had to make it to the end. Even if Wanda can move quickly that doesn't mean everyone will be able to.

I like the idea of extra objective tokens being added to the scenario. What if the 3 survivors that start with pans also started with one wound and you had to heal them before you can escape. This would add a little more stress to the party overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.