BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Age of Sail Game Idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C K

CHESAPEAKE
Virginia
msg tools
So I just recently started playing BattleCry and I really enjoy that style of game. I am also really interested in the Age of Sail (USS Constitution, Battle of Trafalgar, etc) and have come up with some ideas of how to play a age of sail based game similar in style to BattleCry. I would appreciate any feedback.

To start with, I would use ships from the Pirates of the Burning Sea games since you can remove their sails to simulate hits. Ships would be divided into 3 classes; sloops(2 masts), frigates/heavy frigates(3 or 4 masts), and ships of the line(5 masts). The game would still be card driven and played on a hex board but instead of having different sectors, cards could activate different classes of ships. (IE activate 2 frigates) There would also be special cards just like in BattleCry. Some I have thought up include repairs (allow you to replace a missing sail), wind shift (allowing you to change the wind direction) and various other actions. I want to keep it simple, but still have included concepts for wind direction and boarding actions. I have compiled a full rules but I didn't see a way to upload a file for someone to view.

I have played the actual Pirates of the XX and while enjoyable was not quite what I was looking for. Some of it had to do with the clumsyness of measuring distances. Additionally, I have looked at games like Wooden Ships & Iron Men, and others but I feel those may be too complicated. My main gaming partner is my wife and she tends to get overwhelmed if a game is too complicated. She does enjoy BattleCry which is why I went this route. If anyone knows how to upload a file I would be happy to share what I have made, or if anyone has any suggestions of games I might enjoy please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krukocp wrote:
So I just recently started playing BattleCry and I really enjoy that style of game. I am also really interested in the Age of Sail (USS Constitution, Battle of Trafalgar, etc) and have come up with some ideas of how to play a age of sail based game similar in style to BattleCry. I would appreciate any feedback.

To start with, I would use ships from the Pirates of the Burning Sea games since you can remove their sails to simulate hits. Ships would be divided into 3 classes; sloops(2 masts), frigates/heavy frigates(3 or 4 masts), and ships of the line(5 masts). The game would still be card driven and played on a hex board but instead of having different sectors, cards could activate different classes of ships. (IE activate 2 frigates) There would also be special cards just like in BattleCry. Some I have thought up include repairs (allow you to replace a missing sail), wind shift (allowing you to change the wind direction) and various other actions. I want to keep it simple, but still have included concepts for wind direction and boarding actions. I have compiled a full rules but I didn't see a way to upload a file for someone to view.

Sounds like it leans more toward abstraction & playability than simulation. Unlike land forces, sailing ships tend to be on the move all the time because wind and current are free; they don't get expended, and the ships need not stop for rest. So I'm not clear on what you mean by "activating two different class of ships." Is this like 'beat to quarters?" or more like movement?

Regarding the wind shift card, wouldn't this be better as a random event either through a card draw or a die roll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the concept.

Look to Broadside for inspiration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So... I'm really into the Age of Sail, myself, but I haven't played either of the games you referenced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C K

CHESAPEAKE
Virginia
msg tools
With reference to "activating ships" it is similar in style to BattleCry or Memoir' 44. Whereas in those games you might have a card allowing you to move and/or attack with a certain number of units on your left, center, or right flank, in my game you would be able to move and/or attack with some or all of your frigates in the battle. While your sloops or ships of the line would not be able to move. Forcing the player to determine what card in their hand is the most beneficial.

I agree I am striving slightly more for playability than precise simulation, but I still want to the game to have a good feel of ship to ship combat.

Thanks for the feedback so far though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
So... I'm really into the Age of Sail, myself, but I haven't played either of the games you referenced.

Broadside is great fun for kids of all ages.

It can be found on eBay for reasonable prices. There are two editions (1960s and 1970s) but they are almost identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And just to point out, Ares will be coming out with Sails of Glory in the near future, which is pretty much going to be Wings of Glory/War but with ships. So, card driven movement and all that good stuff, except you get to move every ship each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.