We're playing this game through, and we've come across several questions that are dogging us. None keep us from playing the game, precisely, but they're all little things that we'd like answers to:
1. There are no French leaders listed in Scenario 3. Since the rules state that in order to place a Formation Activation chit in the cup, your leader has to be on the board, the French having no leaders makes their receiving Dispatch Points meaningless. Is this correct, or do they get leaders for their main formations (the way we played it the first time)?
2. What exactly goes into the calculation of a barraging artillery unit's Fire Rating when it comes time to calculate whether ir leaves a Light or Heavy Barrage, and what (if anything) is excluded? At various points in the rules, it sounds as if some of the Fire Rating modifiers are used in the calculation, and others are not, but it's never exactly specified which are counted, if it's not all of them. We were specifically interested in the Bir Hacheim modifier, which increases the Fire Rating of all French units shooting from inside the perimeter, but the question of the modifiers in general came up also.
3. Does the Bir Hacheim modifier to TQ count towards a French * movement unit's ability to move by prolongue within the perimeter?
4. If an artillery unit fires, rolls its contact number (or is already in contact) and then rolls a 9 on the fire itself, the attack is cancelled and contact is lost. We played that this meant that the unit couldn't be counter-batteried. Were we correct?
5. Can a mortar unit be counterbatteried? A strict reading of the rules says no, but I'm not certain.
6. When a barrage hits a hex and the target unit receives a suppression, does the barrage marker (if it's heavy) modify the TQ of the unit if the owning player wishes to make the immediate TQR to convert the Suppression to a Cohesion Hit?
7. You noted one discrepancy between the Divisional Charts and the Exclusive Rules in your errata (the 90th having a Dispatch Rating of 2 instead of 1) but the French have a different command rating listed in scenario 3, as opposed to their rating on the card. Is the card always correct, or did you intend to modify the ratings for certain scenarios?
8. One last suggestion. You've got the Series Rules up on the website, so that if I wish to play the game with someone I can just send them a link, and they're good to go. However, the Exclusive rules for *all* three of your games seem not to be on the website. It would make it easier for those who don't have a copy of the game, but wish to learn it so they can play someone who does, if the Exclusive rules were posted also.
David W. Nicholas
Ad.1 I asked the same question on CSW Forum. Leaders should be set in the same way as in scenario 1 and 2.
Ad.2 On CSW forum (WED/TDC topic) Adam Starkweather stated that terrain and defense modifiers DO NOT count for figuring heavy vs light barrage -- to get a heavy barrage it needs to be 6+ not counting any defense or terrain modifiers.
You can count company modifier and other modifiers that are changing fire rating of firing unit.
Ad.3 I believe it does.
Ad.7 Ratings on divisional charts are for full campaign scenario.
David, here are the answers to your questions. Sorry for the delay in responding, but I'm currently at GenCon (and this is being done one my phone, so apologies for any typos).
1. Leaders are placed with their formations at set-up.
2. All modifiers except terrain and defense rating
4. No Counterbattery may be performed
5. No, only Indirect HE units, not mortar units
6. The barrage marker is placed after the effects of the indirect fire, so the TQC for immediate conversion is not modified by the barrage.
7. The values on the charts are for the campaign games. Scenario 3 is just a section of the overall battle, hence the modifications to the values.
8. They haven't been released yet, but they may be released in the future.