Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Kosman
United States
JB MDL
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pg 8, "Reorganizing the Inventory and Trading with Another Survivor"

"...The Survivor can simultaneously exchange any number of cards with another another survivor who is on the same zone..."

I'm not quite clear if this means if I have multiple characters in the same zone that at the beginning of each of their turns I can declare a trade action to pass a melee weapon around like the town whore or not. This seems a bit broken. How do you all play? Is there a rule somewhere else in the book that I'm missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I read it is 1 Survivor can burn 1 action to swap X cards for Y cards another Survivor has.

So 1 action, 1 swap, any number of cards.

And, as long as you burn the actions, at the appropriate times, you can indeed move the same item multiple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Rainey
United States
Cookeville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
When you get into the red zone this becomes very important so that you can play a game of "Pass the Chainsaw".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If that's more or less necessary to win the game, i am *so* tweaking the difficulty. For a game that's all about theme, that would kill us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
If that's more or less necessary to win the game, i am *so* tweaking the difficulty. For a game that's all about theme, that would kill us.

I don't think it is necessarily necessary - the game has a range of weapons that all have quite varied stats - so, whilst I think playing pass-the-chainsaw is a valid tactic, I don't think it's likely to be the only winning tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kosman
United States
JB MDL
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As follow up, can, for example, Doug attacks three times with an axe and at the beginning of Wanda's turn, can she use an action to take Doug's axe? Or, by "Exchange" do you think they meant to always have a one to one trade? Also, is spending an action to take an item not legal? Must the holding character burn the action?

Not that it makes a huge difference but three attack actions before needing to trade can make a difference. This all just seems a little dirty and, depending on the difficulty of the game, we may make it a house rule to not trade items that have been used, or at least two actors can't use an item twice in the same turn. Just want to make sure while we're learning we aren't cheating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules, I'd say an exhange can involve any number of cards. You could trade 2 for 2, or 1 for zero. So yes, you can spend an action to simply take an item from another character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kosman
United States
JB MDL
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
From the rules, I'd say an exhange can involve any number of cards. You could trade 2 for 2, or 1 for zero. So yes, you can spend an action to simply take an item from another character.

That's how I read it too. Guess we'll have to play more to see if it's too dirty. Thanks for the help gents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the 'can you take an item' question is covered in the French playthrough video that's floating around somewhere. I believe in that the pair being shown the game spend one or more turns going "I take your pistol", "I take your pistol", until the game-designer player exasperates "Dudes! It's my pistol"! Or something like that (not speaking, or understanding, French means I heard of it 2nd or third hand, so I may have got the details wrong).

So, yeah, you can just 'take' an item - but it is meant to be a co-operative game, so the players should play cooperatively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
We house ruled that you can give any item away as part of your reaarange action, but you can only TAKE items from another player that are not readied (in hand).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really sure how that changes things. You're just forcing the "giver" to spend the action instead of the "taker" (which in my experience is what happens half the time anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Rivaben
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think we need a clear rule on it. Last week we played cenario 1 and we have a character with 2 weapons and 3 plenty of ammo. We grouped all characters together and spent 2 actions to shoot, 1 to reload and another one to "pass" all the kit to the next character. I think it's cheating the game, isn't it?

Another question it's not clear in the rulebook: Am I allowed to trade if there is a zombie in the zone? If yes, it's not to much realistic... :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of those situations are allowed by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In practice I've found that, with the groups I've played the game with, although people are clearly aware of the ability to trade items, and there's the occasional round of trade-the-flash-light, the really exploitative tactics just don't get used, either because the Survivors are rarely all in the same zone (though we do generally stick close together) or everybody gets one or other decent and/or favourite weapon and just sticks with that.

Or, in other words, whilst the item trading rules can be exploited, it seems to be more a problem of the group you play with than anything inherent in the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having every character waste an action on trades is generally not a good strategy. Have each Survivor equip himself with decent weaponry and just go with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Rivaben
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes everybody is fully equiped BUT you have to agree with me that maybe one survivor has better equipments than the other, for instance, in my session, there is this guy who had 3 plenty of ammo cards.

The same can occur with the flashlight mentioned.

Also the rules are not clear if I shoot with a weapon that needs reload then pass it to another survivor... what does it happen? Does the survivor need to reload it?

We house-ruled it to YES but It's not clear in the rules. Also I believe it's kinda weird to trade items in the same area as a zombie, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hogging cards (such as plenty of ammo) isn't exactly in the spirit of co-operation - again, that sounds like a problem with the player(s), not with the game.

And, yes, if you pass a Sawn Off, Ma's Shotgun, or any future weapons that require an action to reload, after shooting, but before reloading, then yes, the survivor that receives it must reload before firing it during the round in which it was traded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that was addressed in the FAQ, wasn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:

I think so. And/or the answers to my Questions for Guillotine Games thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Rivaben
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:

I didn't find in the FAQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Rivaben
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Hogging cards (such as plenty of ammo) isn't exactly in the spirit of co-operation - again, that sounds like a problem with the player(s), not with the game.

Sorry Scorpion but I don't understand your point here. Why these cards are not in the spirit of co-operation?

I really don't understand this, sorry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivaben wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Sorry Scorpion but I don't understand your point here. Why these cards are not in the spirit of co-operation?

I really don't understand this, sorry...

It's the holding on to all three of them that's not in the spirit of cooperation.

Of course, if you've got the only Survivor with a shotgun (be they standard, sawn off, or ma's), say, then maybe holding on to three plenty of ammo for shotguns is acceptable, but, in general, I would want to see p.o.a cards being spread around amongst the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Souza
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played "pass the chainsaw" so I can assure you it's not a needed tactic to win, although I can see how it couldn't hurt.

Most of the time we trade gear, it's to get molitov ingredients, plenty of ammo, and guns, in to the hands of people who can use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Rivaben
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the scenario 1 4 times and we only get close to win using the "pass the chainsaw" tactic. But I felt a little disappointed, it didn't feel realistic and didn't match the whole tension in the game.

Don't get me wrong guys, I simply LOVE this game I just want to know if maybe there was some rule to avoid this kind of situation or I will have simply say to my group "ok, let's play without this tactic because it's like using a cheat code" or something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.