Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrew larcher
United States
kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Would there be any interest in playing mah-jong at BGG.CON 2012?
Hey guys!

Would there be any interest in playing mahjong this year at the con? Since only a few of my fellow gamers here in florida are interested in the game, i do not get to play face to face very often. Also, I'd like to drum up interest/exposure to the United States professional Mah-jong League that is in its infancy stages and are trying to set up a national tournament sometime next year (www.uspml.com). They play Japanese Riichi Mahjong. The biggest hurdle they face right now is to drum up regional clubs/players to populate the league.

If there is enough interest in playing this year i could host a tournament, provided i could get some support from the local community to bring equipment.
What ruleset(s) would you like to play?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
American
0.0% 0
Japanese Riichi
33.3% 4
Chinese Classical
25.0% 3
Chinese Official
16.7% 2
Hong Kong
16.7% 2
Jung Zung (World Series of Mahjong)
8.3% 1
Taiwanese 16 tile
8.3% 1
Voters 12
This poll is now closed.   12 answers
Poll created by alleyman
Closes: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:00 am

Discuss away!!!!

*edit* just to clarify, I don't have to run a tournament, I'd be just as happy to play some friendly sessions during the con. hmmm...another poll this requires!
Poll
Would you like to play in a Mahjong tournament during the con?
Yes
No
Maybe
      18 answers
Poll created by alleyman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holm
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm driving to BGGcon this year and I can bring a set for use. I can't yet commit to actually playing, not /quite/ yet.

My experience level is Novice, regardless of the rule set that's used.

Maybe this might turn out to be a charity-flavor tourney?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playing Mah Jong but my experience is mostly informal with family playing a mixture of Chinese classical and some new style
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been dying to learn Mahjong but can't seem to find anyone around here to teach us. I realize you are trying to measure interest in a tournament, but if someone is willing to teach, we are more than willing to learn. So if a Mahjong class spawns from this thread, we're interested and will be attending the full CON.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew larcher
United States
kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i can definitly and would have no problem teaching to anyone interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyuu B
msg tools
mbmb
Greetings. My name is Kyuu. I've helped out hosting mahjong at a couple anime conventions up here near Chicago. May your games here be fruitful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Mah Jong. I hate that there are no standard rules - or rather, that there are at least 6 official sets of rules and nobody I know plays by the same set of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew larcher
United States
kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
first of all, welcome to boardgamegeek Kyuu! and thanks for the support!

sidenote: are you also on reachmahjong.com correct? i think i remember seeing you there in the WWYD forums writing a couple in depth articles. im boardgamer4life on uspml.com, reddit r/mahjong, and reachmahjong.com(no posts yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew larcher
United States
kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
I love Mah Jong. I hate that there are no standard rules - or rather, that there are at least 6 official sets of rules and nobody I know plays by the same set of them.

....or nobody wants to play the ruleset that you want to play :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyuu B
msg tools
mbmb
alleyman wrote:
first of all, welcome to boardgamegeek Kyuu! and thanks for the support!

sidenote: are you also on reachmahjong.com correct? i think i remember seeing you there in the WWYD forums writing a couple in depth articles. im boardgamer4life on uspml.com, reddit r/mahjong, and reachmahjong.com(no posts yet).

Yep. I am one and the same. :3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in a novice / learning game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collett
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
OOhhhhh.. Da Red Snappa! Veeerrry tasty!
badge
You sooo stupid!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also be interested in learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kunsemiller
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Mischievous Hobbes is Mischievous
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a hurdle to any tournament would be the time commitment, but I would enjoy a regular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'd be interested in a learning game. I played Mah Jong once many moons ago, and recall quite enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew larcher
United States
kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So from the initial response, its seems that it would be fitting if i hosted a class/panel to learn the basic universal rules of mahjong. After that, we can break up into individual groups and i can walk around and help people as needed when there is a rules issue. I will also try to pull some resources together and make nice handouts that would include basic scoring and rules for everyone to reference.

Afterwords i can discuss the different variations in the scoring techniques used in several countries and the differences and similarities of each.

We can go on from there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Andrew! Excited about learning the game. Keep us posted as we get closer to November. I'll assume we'll use this thread up to BGG.CON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds awesome. Very gracious of you to do this. Much appreciated, I think I must offer thanks by buying you a beer at the CON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wanted to learn but my experience has been limited to my iphone app. Somehow, I think I am missing something. Hopefully, I'll be able to participate. My husband and I will have to trade off on watching our 2 yr old son in order to enjoy gaming time so, if I catch you at the right time, I'm there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collett
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
OOhhhhh.. Da Red Snappa! Veeerrry tasty!
badge
You sooo stupid!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds really good! Thank you for doing that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew larcher
United States
kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
texasgeoker wrote:
Thanks Andrew! Excited about learning the game. Keep us posted as we get closer to November. I'll assume we'll use this thread up to BGG.CON.

Yes, i will be monitoring this thread all the way up to BGG.CON so if anyone has any questions/comments I'll be happy to answer them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyuu B
msg tools
mbmb
If anyone wants to learn now or ahead of time, here's a comprehensive walkthrough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh0brmqq4sk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am an experienced Mah Jongg player (I've been playing for almost forty years), and have played using several different sets of rules. My preferred rule set is not one of the ones you have listed, it is the Wright-Patterson Officer's Wives' Club rules that are used extensively in the US Military (they're the ones I grew up playing, so they're second nature to me). I'm not particularly interested in a tournament, due the time problems, but I am interested in playing a learning game of the Riichi rules. Oddly enough, even though I lived in Japan for four years, it is probably the rules set for Mah Jongg that I am least familiar with, and I have never played a game using them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lana Berman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I'd play a game. I know the American version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arif ally
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to play, but not with you.yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew larcher
United States
kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there should be plenty of people there to play with Arif , besides i'd crush you anywaywhistle...j/k

(fyi other posters...he's my friend lol)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.