Subject: HIS, VQ, and female players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Maginity
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wondered whether female players would have any preference for Virgin Queen over Here I Stand due to the presence of Elizabeth I as a ruler in her own right plus the presence of Catherine de' Medici as de facto (albeit not official within the rules of the game) ruler of France. In addition, the diplomatic marriages and the substitution of patronage for exploration and conquest in the New World would seem to give VQ a less militaristic bent, though I realize I'm venturing into stereotypical territory here. Actually, the hard fact is that I've only played either of these games with a female player once, so I guess the ultimate question may be why there aren't more female players of these games. Then again, I've seen hardly any participation by the female members of my gaming club in ANY of the war games, so maybe that's the answer (which raises the question anew for war games in general) right there. What's been your experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
A woman I played with got angry that women's value for marriage decreased as they got older in the game. She and the other lady player seemed to enjoy everything else. The Most Christian King, played by a woman, was delighted to smash my Protestants into dust. Both women I played with were history majors and hearing them discuss the history at great length was a delight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
I played VQ with 5 strippers. Every single one of them preferred it over HIS. I'm not sure what it proves, but count me in on the VQ train!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
TonyClifton wrote:
I played VQ with 5 strippers. Every single one of them preferred it over HIS. I'm not sure what it proves, but count me in on the VQ train!

Were they Virgins before AND after the game? I hear all strippers are Virgins....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.