B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the cool things about having information in a spreadsheet is that you can start to visualize the data in various ways.

I did that a bit in my recent strategy article, and then started mucking around with the data in other ways.

One of the interesting charts I came up with was this one:

Which shows the total cost and influence value of each faction.
(Note: I had to make an assumption about Psychographics and chose that value to be a cost of '3', which would cover the range of Agenda that NBN is likely to use this card on.)

From this graphic, can we determine anything about where the meta game is going to go?

First off, the Runner factions are all clustered at about the same amount of influence and have similar total deck costs. This tells me that there are some items that the Runners protect as 'their thing', and other lower influence cards that are more readily shared between the factions.

The Corp factions are more interesting to me. Weyland is lowest total cost AND lowest total influence, which means they're more likely to be brought into another faction's deck than to act as a prime.

Jinteki and NBN are clustered near Weyland as well (Jinteki's almost hidden), but take a look at Haas-Bioroid. A full 25% more expensive overall and more influence value than the other Corps by about 15%.

Looking at the faction cards, Haas-Bioroid has its innate advantage, but it has to overcome its own bloated costs to make it valuable.

Faction costs range from 1-4, and the high water marks in a given faction are the defining cards for that faction...

Anarch:
At 3 each: Medium, Ice Carver and Wyldside which summarily give Noise viruses, viruses and more viruses

Criminal:
Account Siphon at a cost of 4 is a pretty nasty bit gainer that also steals from the corporation's coffers. Better hope they're not able to take advantage of those tags.

Shaper:
Tinkering at a cost of 4 is the Shaper philosophy.

HB:
Biotic Labor at 4 and the extra action it brings in, when you need actions NOW

Jinteki:
Jinteki's single 3-influence card is Precognition, giving much needed knowledge of upcoming cards to the Corp.

NBN:
NBN has two 3-influence cards in Psychographics and the SanSan City Grid region card, the only region card in the game.

Weyland:
Scorched Earth is everyone's favorite follow on to a Tag, well every Corp's...

What's going to be really interesting is getting to see which factions start to combine more or less as people experiment with their decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good thoughts. thumbsup I liked looking through all the graphs you have, but this is one of the ones I found most interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a cool chart

HB's Identity ability can really help them pay those high costs. installing netting credits encourages you to deploy every turn before spending a click for a credit.

There are only a few highly desirable cards at 1 influence to splash, many 1s are outclassed in other factions or narrow, but there are exceptions. Cyberfeeder is always a nice way to spend a single influence as a runner, and wall of ice is solid defense in any corp deck, and wall of thorns is nice for 1 if you need a larger run ender

There are TONS of great 2 influence cards to splash and I often use my influence on 6 or 7 2s. Runners can always find a use for special order and déjà vu, an efficient breaker like corroder, diesel card draw, or the ice trashing parasite. the corp can get tricky with its influence choices and there are several solid 2s. Snare, archived memories, or Adonis campaign go in most any deck, and data raven can really help with tags outside of NBN.

3s are usually pretty damn good at their job, and often hard to find a similar effect elsewhere.

The only 4s deal with fast agenda advancement and high levels of meat damage, both things that should be more difficult to splash without extreme dedication to what they offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
This does leave out the power of the agendas, which can't be splashed. NBN has the best agendas IMHO. A 3/2 that makes the next agenda easier and a 2/1 that fuels the fast advance card if you time it right. Or kills the runner. Depending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the faction Agendas are pretty good in their own way, and tweaking your deck to take best advantage of them is advantageous. Haas beta test can backfire, but yow, it can also seal up a game with a good flip, and it's a 3/2, so relatively efficient and combos with biotic labor to score out of hand. Jinteki Identity power makes every agenda dangerous! Weyland 2:1 can make you get rich quick and early, and posted bounty can combo kill, a better enabler than agenda really. Yeah, both of NBN agendas are really good too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think Jinteki is amazing on the Agenda front, even better than the other factions.

And unbreakable "end the run". Jinteki is built to stack ice more than spread it. So score a agenda and then you can drain a whole lot of resources from a runner. Obviously the runner will notice (if they don't, bonus) so they will have to put all their effort into extra resources for a potentially wasted run.

Not that the other factions' agendas aren't good and fit well with their basic strategy, but in my experience the resource war is a large part of netrunner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I love about the factioning.

In the beginning, everyone was concerned about it, worried that it would detract from the game.

But with its addition, the very thing we said would happen, which is that people will weigh the pros and cons and get inventive within the constraints is happening.

Instead of figuring out which uber card you put into your deck, now it's a series of tradeoffs and risks.

Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.