Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't claim that these are the first instances of a particular mechanic, this is just the most varied examples of mechanics in games I own. Please complete this list and tell me why your game is so different it deserves to be included.

Up Front
Fields of Fire
Napoleon's Triumph
EastFront
Paths of Glory
Maria
Ambush!
Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1
No Retreat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Two come to mind.

First, Lock 'N Load features opposing die rolls to resolve combat, something I had never seen in a tactical-level game. Each side rolls a die and adds the value on the counter pertinent to the activity, be it firepower or armour penetration, plus any modifiers for terrain, range, the usual stuff. If the defender ends up with a lower value another die is rolled and added to the difference from the first die rolls. After all that a table is consulted to learn the defenders' fate. This probably sounds a bit wristy but in practice it takes about 15 seconds.

Second, and I haven't played this in years so my memory is a bit foggy about the specifics, but I thought the rules regarding stacking order in the Prussia's Glory series was pretty different; the top counter in a stack represents the men at the front of the battle and, if memory serves, they take the bulk of the damage if things go awry. There's more to it than that, but that's the gist of it, as I recall it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
Two come to mind.

First, Lock 'N Load features opposing die rolls to resolve combat, something I had never seen in a tactical-level game.

Opposed die rolls common as dirt in Tactical Miniature games since the 1960's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Makes sense. Never played minis, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opposed rolls were used in the 80s in Storm Over Arnhem and many other games derived from that system. Craig Taylor used opposed rolls with Platoon and eventually in his Smithsonian games in the 90s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raúl Chouza
Mexico
TIJUANA
BAJA CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
Quote:
I don't claim that these are the first instances of a particular mechanic, this is just the most varied examples of mechanics in games I own.

Hi Andrew, as someone new to the boardgame fever, may you exemplify what makes this games so special? The main unique mechanic for each game quoted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon's Triumph is a follow up ofBonaparte at Marengo. The latter is unique, the first one less likely...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

The use of supply in the OCS series. An example being Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, obviously A Few Acres of Snow - the unique deck building drives command delay, resource buildup and long-term strategic planning and a lot of other stuff that horrifies those who think that army commanders should be able to precisely position and order every platoon in their force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cox
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The delay tactics used in Total War? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/808324/total-war-total-w...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In The Hell of Stalingrad, the Soviet player can execute a combat unit with the NKVD in order to get a morale boost for the others.

Sometimes I do it, even if I don't need the boost. Because the Party demands it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
The "no rulers for movement and measuring range" mechanics in Arty Conliffe's WWII tactical Crossfire miniatures rules. Also, his initiative mechanics of one player going until they fail to succeed in a task. [Lately though, even these rules have been superseded for me by the ruler-light and utterly brilliant Fireball Forward.]

A less strong case, perhaps, for Jim Krohn's morale and suppression mechanics in his new Band of Brothers series of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the combat mechanic in Empires in Arms was pretty unique at the time.

The chit-pull, cross referencing of strategies, die roll causing both casualties and morale loss... Don't know if this was the first instance of this type of thing, but it certainly seemed to produce very 'Napoleonic' results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Weltkrieg Series with its terrain occupying terrain hex edges instead of the hex itself is certainly unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War in Europe production system: where you need a combination of 1 factory + 1 resource to generate a production point, which then varies over time (giving a model of how countries slowly "geared up" during a war; plus the fact that you need to build base units and then use THOSE units to build the better and more advanced units (e.g. a German panzer army is converted from a German 6-5 INF army). Then to top it all off, units don't come in instantly, but take a variety of turns depending on the unit built - do you send out a mass of cheap, but relatively weak conscripts/infantry, or do you focus your builds on better, but longer-term tank or mechanized armies? May not be the first to use a similar system (Global War?), but first to pull it off and achieve wide spread success, IMO.

Similar system is used in World in Flames, but simplified by eliminating the need to "build up" from previously built units. But World in Flames is unique in its own right with how it ties together Weather, Impulses and End of a Turn. Each turn is a variable number of impulses based on a die roll to "end the turn on "X" or less", with each side alternating impulses (e.g. Axis move impulse 6 (end of turn roll of a 1), if it doesn't end, Allies (only) move in impulse 7 (end of turn roll of a 2), etc). Weather determines how fast the impulse marker moves, does it advance only by 1 after each impulse, or by >1? This single mechanic allows for LONG summer turns (impulse marker almost always advances by 1) and shorter winter turns (impulse marker usually advances by 2-3)...very nice system.

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander with the use of cards to order units as well as additional actions, random events, die rolls, random hexes....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the mechanics in Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division are quite unique, or at least arranged in a unique way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
The "no rulers for movement and measuring range" mechanics in Arty Conliffe's WWII tactical Crossfire miniatures rules. Also, his initiative mechanics of one player going until they fail to succeed in a task. [Lately though, even these rules have been superseded for me by the ruler-light and utterly brilliant Fireball Forward.]

Crossfire is an absolute favorite of mine. I'll have to check out Fireball Forward now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j page
Canada
edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
The chain reaction system in Nuts! from 2 Hour Wargames. Resolves sighting and combat in a different manner - deciding the out come immediately and creating an action that the figures involved must follow to finish the sequence. A well, the figures begin to do their own "thing". As commander you have to decide whether to rally your troops or press on with your mission with who is left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
Combat Commander with the use of cards to order units as well as additional actions, random events, die rolls, random hexes....
Well, except that most of that comes from Up Front so CC is not that unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
essayons7 wrote:
I think the mechanics in Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division are quite unique, or at least arranged in a unique way.
A lot of that comes from the "worker placement" genre of eurogames. This (and the deck building mechanic for Few Acres of Snow) is a unique application to a wargame. Fun games, but not really simulative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kbernatz wrote:
…World in Flames is unique in its own right with how it ties together Weather, Impulses and End of a Turn. Each turn is a variable number of impulses based on a die roll to "end the turn on "X" or less", with each side alternating impulses (e.g. Axis move impulse 6 (end of turn roll of a 1), if it doesn't end, Allies (only) move in impulse 7 (end of turn roll of a 2), etc). Weather determines how fast the impulse marker moves, does it advance only by 1 after each impulse, or by >1? This single mechanic allows for LONG summer turns (impulse marker almost always advances by 1) and shorter winter turns (impulse marker usually advances by 2-3)...very nice system.
I agree. I thought this was the best part of WiF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
Second, and I haven't played this in years so my memory is a bit foggy about the specifics, but I thought the rules regarding stacking order in the Prussia's Glory series was pretty different; the top counter in a stack represents the men at the front of the battle and, if memory serves, they take the bulk of the damage if things go awry. There's more to it than that, but that's the gist of it, as I recall it.

Straight out of Great Battles of History (perhaps via Glory Series?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Using hexagons to regulate movement of units is pretty unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Viking Gods, one random-moving, death-to-all unit. In a historical game, it could represent disease, or fatigue, weather, or attrition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.