Subject: Paid material on Facebook worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After finding out that the new Thunderstone release for iOS was on Ipad, I scoffed as usual. It also required a Facebook account to play the game. I then noticed that "Thunderstone Gateway" was indeed what they called in some of the blogs a "wrapper"... it just points you to the TS game that's already on FB. Well then... I don't need no Ipad then, I already have what I need to play it. Played through the first campaign level. I don't really have any high expectations for these things (hell, I found Dominion on BSW and Androminion to be quite playable), so no qualms about graphics nor interface. Seems solid enough overall.

However, I didn't need to read up in the blogs that only some of the base game cards are available. If you want to play with the rest of them (base, exps, and promos) in campaign, skirmish, and multiplayer modes, you need to shell out for the individual packs (15 to 25 Facebook coins per pack) which word is comes to around to $35 to $45 for the whole deal. Anybody finish the entire campaign and can comment on it? I noticed there was also a FB bugs thread, but couldnt possibly go through all of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of general principle, nothing is worth giving your money to Facebook for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also play it (free) here via browser....it works well:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/zabusupport/thunderstone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play for free on Facebook, but the extra packs will add more options and they are only 2.50 each. I have them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not bought all expansions.
The way I have been playing is to add a single expansion at a time. Complete that campaign and play with random setups for a while.
When I have felt like it, I have added another expansion and played with the new cards for a while.
I am currently missing 4-5 expansions, but do not feel the need to add further material just yet.

If you enjoy the base game, I would advice you to just add a single pack for now and see how you feel about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it all comes down to how much you like the game, and this implementation. If you think you'll be bored or done with it in a week or two, than skip the expansions.

If you could see yourself playing this for a few months, then I'd definitely buy at least some, if not all of them.

I bought them all, and although I don't really play much anymore, I got more than my monies worth. And that was just playing through the campaigns, and against the AI. I only played a handful of games against others... if there's still an active multiplayer community, it might be worth it even more to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I have four multiplayer games going right now. Anytime I start one it fills within an hour. Also, you can send invites to friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Thunderstone Gateway worth it?
I recently read the announcement that Thunderstone Gateway had been released for the iPad. I was excited. Then I actually tried to play it. This review is the result: http://www.mblgmr.com/2012/8/19/thunderstone-gateway-review

The bottom line is don't bother. The Facebook/Kongregate implementation is decent on a desktop machine, but the gateway app is basically unusable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgriggs wrote:
I recently read the announcement that Thunderstone Gateway had been released for the iPad. I was excited. Then I actually tried to play it. This review is the result: http://www.mblgmr.com/2012/8/19/thunderstone-gateway-review

The bottom line is don't bother. The Facebook/Kongregate implementation is decent on a desktop machine, but the gateway app is basically unusable.

I agree - what's usable on a desktop 24" monitor in full screen is not usable on a 10-inch iPad. Too small to see well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.