Matt D
United States
California
flag msg tools
It was the Scarecrow...

My buddy and I were playing the cooperative game with the Advanced Cooperative phase chart, so we were getting clobbered to the point where we were unable to start the showdown until phase 5.

It had the +2 from the Shadow Track, the +4 from its ability, and +1 from the Ancient Evil Mystery Card. All of it totaled to 12 dice!

Obviously we lost that game cry

Just out of curiosity can anyone top this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two player co-op: "Banshee now has 16 Combat, 31 Wounds!"

Second Showdown of the game, first one she had 10 Combat, 18 Wounds. Seems the Banshee really gets up there, going over my logs, saw these stats for her in a solo, 1-investigator game: 11 Combat, 15 Wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I looked through my logged plays -- I guess I generally don't record Combat dice. I saw one game where we had the Scarecrow up to 10 though.

However, I also had one where the Unspeakable Horror reached 37 wounds! It was a 3-player co-op game, so it started at 24 wounds, and it also had all 6 evil elders. I didn't write down what its Combat was, but wth 6 evil elders, it must have been at least 14! Ironically, according to my notes, this was a relatively easy showdown due to the heroes being very well equipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember the highest combat villain, but I do remember constantly rolling ridiculously good for the Bog Fiend's regen ability, and poorly for my hero.

Bog Fiend scares me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of great rolling, while going over my logs looking the baddest baddie, noticed in one game a hero rolled 22 hits on 22 dice ! Silver Shot really ups the totals if you can roll 6s, double on regular, triple on Werewolf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarecrow here

He was at like 20 health and 13 combat dice in a 2 player co op game, Basic. The track went to around 5 and he just kept gaining in power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleZone wrote:
Scarecrow here

He was at like 20 health and 13 combat dice in a 2 player co op game, Basic. The track went to around 5 and he just kept gaining in power.

That's about the neighborhood of some of my toughest combats as well, 20-ish Health & teens of Fight dice.

I have a bad habit in Solo games of pushing until the last second trying to arm my Hero, which means the Villain is also quite strong as well! laugh
---MS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just went against the Ghost Ship.

11 attack dice on me, 13 attack dice against my brother. (he didn't collect enough cursed coins)
and it had 32 health against us.
(co-op game plus shadow track and mystery/evil elder/secret cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played our first game against the banshee and she had an attack of 9 and 13 wounds. Both our heroes could only take 4 wounds each, how is this even winnable especially with some of the other stats posted here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing co-op, the best hitter should have Gun + Silver Shot (6s count as 2, 3 vs Werewolf), then unload all Event cards that give extra dice. We regularly have the main character roll 20+ dice for the first attack, which more often than not takes out the Villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
We just played our first game against the banshee and she had an attack of 9 and 13 wounds. Both our heroes could only take 4 wounds each, how is this even winnable especially with some of the other stats posted here?

It's pretty slim odds, but it looks winnable to me. 9 attack will get 3 hits on average, so with 4 wounds, you should be able to survive long enough to make 2 attacks with each hero. If you have some healing or damage avoidance abilities, you can live longer and make extra attacks. To me, the damage avoidance cards like "Knocked away" are the absolute best ones for taking into the showdown. I also almost always try to take Dr. Manning in the Hunting Party.

In order to do 13 hits, you need to roll 39 dice on average (less if you have Katarina or an event/item that increases your hits per die). With 2 heroes, and with them only living 2 rounds, you'd need 10 dice per attack, which is pretty unlikely. So, it's essential that you find a way to live an extra round or two. Or go for the huge hit like Rauli described (although in my experience, a 20 dice attack is really unlikely. I have seen 15 dice attacks fairly often though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
To me, the damage avoidance cards like "Knocked away" are the absolute best ones for taking into the showdown. I also almost always try to take Dr. Manning in the Hunting Party.

You and me both! Dr. Manning is usually my first pick for a hunting companion, assuming he doesn't secretly serve the forces of darkness. Fortunately in our games it's been relatively rare that the good Doctor has been aligned with the villain. Lady Hanbrook, on the other hand, holds the record for the most times being evil, while ironically her husband holds the record for the least times being on the bad guy's side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My #1 pick is always Sophie, since not a game has gone by without multiple In Play Events boosting the Villain, Sophie's ability helps weaken the Villain nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
My #1 pick is always Sophie, since not a game has gone by without multiple In Play Events boosting the Villain, Sophie's ability helps weaken the Villain nicely.

Agreed. It's even worth starting an early showdown sometimes (with a view to escaping from it) just to get rid of the nastier cards like Something Wicked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.