Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: lew replay value?
I think people perceive the replay value being low because there are a limited number of approaches available for the British -- which is hardly suprising considering there are only 12 spaces on the whole board!
This is not an uncommon situation in historical wargames, because terrain, supply, order of battle, politics and other factors frequently limit what was possible.
All that said, I've been playing Quebec 1759 for many years and I haven't played it out. It probably wouldn't stand up to an intensive series of replays against the same opponent, but there are a surprising variety of strategies available and I think it's one of the best intros to block games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: lew replay value?
You only get to make one move per turn, and the British all start in the same area, so there is clearly a smaller possibility set than with other block games.

I'm not knocking Quebec, 1759 - I've still got the Gamma Two edition I bought more than 30 years ago, and still will play it on occasion. But I do think you'll get more mileage out of 1812 or Napoleon as your introduction to the block games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gray
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also give the nod to Napoleon or War of 1812.
Napoleon in particular has very high replay value.
Having said that Quebec 1759 is a really neat game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.