Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Janet and Donna had now arrived.

Despite suggestions that the 9 players could easily split into games of EUPHRATES & TIGRIS and EL GRANDE, not many people seemed keen on an El Grande, claiming it was too soon after playing it Sunday. Sigh.

Anyway, onto EUPHRATES & TIGRIS

Present Alan Donna, David, Janet (turn order).

Everyone seemed to be building thier own little kingdoms. I built a green/black monument early on, and managed to maintain my black leader in control of it for the rest of the game. But Donna quickly ousted my green leader from the kingdom, and kept control.

David had been playing lots of red tiles on the far side of the board (he later admitted his first draw was 6 red tiles!). He also seemed to be grabbing a few treasures as the game progressed.

Janet built a monument, and I bult a second one on what turned out to be the final turn. I then linked two kingdoms, fought and won a blue battle (the color I was weakest in), won a red battle (but miscalculated as the red temples supporting Janet's green leader weren't removed and the kingdoms stayed linked), won the black battle, but lost the green battle, letting Janet take the treasure and end the game.

I ended up in control of 3 monuments, but only got 3 points out of it (blue, red and black) as the other half colors were all green which Janet still controlled.

Final scores:
Alan: 10, 10, 12, 14
David: 7, 7, 8, 11
Janet: 5, 5, 8, 9
Donna: 2, 2, 6, 10

David could have ended the game on his last turn, by taking a treasure, but the result would have been pretty much the same. This was one game where I got a good tile mix, survived a couple of attacks, and only attacked right near the end when it was pretty clear I could win in the particular color I needed.

Unlike the next game.....

Donna suggested we play another game of E&T, so after a coffee break we agreed.

This time Donna and David did a deal in one corner of the board and Donna built a monument very early on with David receiving black points and Donna blue.

All I could do was place what tiles I drew to get a few points. I didn't see a red tile until drawing on my fourth turn, and then had to use them to survive an internal attack! My black leader was killed off five times through the course of the game, and I was very short of black for most of the game. Meanwhile David had cashed in for a 5 token in three different colors when my maximum score was still 3. It looked like Donna or David were going to win. they seemed to have the production rolling in, getting 2 or 3 VPs per turn, while Janet and I were getting only 1 or 2.

Ironically no further monuments were built, and at the end I was getting the black VP income, and Janet the blue, from the original monument.

The game ended when David could not replenish his hand from an exhausted tile bag.

Most unusually for me, I had claimed no treasures! Though the scores indicated that I'd got the VP balance right, I just hadn't got enough of them.

Janet: 6, 7, 8, 8
Donna: 6, 7, 7, 8
David: 5, 8, 11, 19
Alan: 5, 6, 6, 6

David's low score was in green, as he just didn't draw many of those tiles, and that 5 contained 3 treasures!

A much closer result than I was anticipating.

Two very different games, and varying strategies played in each. It looks like just sitting off to the side in your own kingdom doesn't work, as the board is just too small. Plus whoever draws a lot of red tiles has an advantage as they can move their leader and initiate an internal conflict and probably win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.