Subject: First impression - THISISCOOL rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am not posting this as a review because I've only played two games and don't have the patience to write one now, but here's some impressions anyway.

1.For anyone who has read the rules and thought that the game is very restricted since you're just playing one card each turn and that's it, YOU ARE WRONG. Well, sort of at least.
At the moment I am under the impression that this is not the strategy game to end all strategy games, but there are a lot of cool choices to make:
-The different cards being a spirit for a turn before it turns up on the board, making it important not just to think about what the card can do in a fight (where he doesn't enter before the next turn, foreward planning FTW), but also what he will do this turn in spirit form.
-The ability to shift the "battle line" by pulling out a fallen fighter as a spirit(and possibly setting off a combo)
-The inclusion of the "unearth" cards which makes it less random by letting you replace one fighter with one of the top three of it's respective deck.

2. There's some really cool combos in this game
Some can even make sort of euro-style point-generating engines, while others can lock down opponenents fighters and others again just making huge guys and beating down all competition.

3. You should probably get this game (if you can, I'm not sure where it is for sale). For the price it is amazing. For being a 20-30-minute two player card game it's great.
For those of you who have played Omen: Reign of Wars (I have only played it once), this has the same feeling of doing a lot of stuff and combo out, but without being so swingy or with that massive amount of stuff being played each turn (which I personally kind of like, but I prefer some restrictions).

And lastly: It is very possible to sleeve this game, yay! Even with the super awesome and too-small-for-sleeves tin it is possible to fit all the cards with Mayday card game sleeves (I know, not everyone's favourite choice, but they work) and having the rules and score mat (which is totally awesome btw) on each side of the deck keeping cards from being pushed against the curved walls. My rule-book is know bent, but it's still readable.

So that's my impression for know. After a few more plays, there may be a review post here, but this will do for know, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick review Zawadi. I just got my copy today and I must say, the quality is good, the tin is cool and the neoprene scoring mat is really nice. Can't wait to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Thanks for the quick review Zawadi. I just got my copy today and I must say, the quality is good, the tin is cool and the neoprene scoring mat is really nice. Can't wait to try it out.

I totally agree, the quality is surprisingly great, especially for the price.
If the budget had been higher, the only thing that could have been better are the cards. I would recommend sleeving them, even with Mayday ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.