Subject: Disparate - it's a hard word! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
I was asked to remove the word "disparate" from an error message in our software today. Only one other person knew what it meant.

Yeah, I'm the weird guy at work. I know wurds. It's not a skill that I thought might engender wild bouts of jealousy, but a modicum, a smidgen of respect, nay, tolerance, might be nice. No. It's just plain strange and oh, so very pointless to have a decent vocabulary.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean dis pirate?
arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
soblue "disparrot" were ONLY: "pining for the *fnord*!" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what it means, but it does sound like an odd choice of word for an error message to end users. What was the full error message?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, I could have chosen a better word. It was a diagnostic field showing the time on a piece of hardware. Multiple connected devices should have had the same time. If they weren't they were "Disparate". I suggested "Inconsistent", which everyone liked.

For the record, I agree with the change. It's a better word. It's just that having to explain a common (or so I thought) English word, followed by the usual ribbing and jocularity at my expense can get a little tiring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's surprising how many words discombobulate the average person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it's a perfectly cromulent word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your support embiggens me!

No, not that way. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like they were getting desperate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I once had an English prof ask me to remove the word "diorama" from an essay that I did, explaining in it that I had built a diaorama of a room that I was describing the features of.
She said that she felt it was an poor choice of words and it didn't belong.
Hello! What the hell else was I supposed to call it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of an episode from Deadwood when the newspaper publisher is composing a public notice with the saloon keeper. Went something like this...

Editor: "The medicine will be distributed gratis."
Saloon keeper: "Make that free gratis."
Editor: "Gratis means free."
Saloon keeper: "Ok. Take out gratis."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenDude wrote:
Multiple connected devices should have had the same time. If they weren't they were "Disparate".

Actually you misused the word.

Disparate - Essentially different in kind; not allowing comparison.

Two times that are not the same are different but not disparate. They are easily compared as they are the exact same type of thing, as opposed to apples and oranges for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
You're in software, which means your messages are probably translated for i18n. That word might have issues being translated to other languages. Words like "invalid" translate poorly in other languages and we aren't allowed to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
GreenDude wrote:
Multiple connected devices should have had the same time. If they weren't they were "Disparate".

Two times that are not the same are different but not disparate. They are easily compared as they are the exact same type of thing, as opposed to apples and oranges for example.
Yeah. I looked it up and felt suitably embarrassed. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
I once had an English prof ask me to remove the word "diorama" from an essay that I did, explaining in it that I had built a diaorama of a room that I was describing the features of.
She said that she felt it was an poor choice of words and it didn't belong.
Hello! What the hell else was I supposed to call it?

You could draw a diagrama instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
GreenDude wrote:

Because they are both fruit...both grow on trees..both can be purchased at a grocery store...clearly no comparison at all.

So, why are they used as the paragon of incomparability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Prussian wrote:
Because they are both fruit...both grow on trees..both can be purchased at a grocery store...clearly no comparison at all.

So, why are they used as the paragon of incomparability?

I know. They actually are the same type of thing... but it would have been a little random to say apples and SUV's.

I'm not sure why they've gotten pegged as the example of things that can't be compared, but I think it has something to do with the fact that preferences are subjective and can't be objectively compared. But it's a crap example, just another phrase that doesn't really make a lot of sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once wrote a fiction story for a class in high school, and I used the word "undead".

My instructor crossed out the word, and wrote "dead" with a note that read, "if they were undead, they would be alive".

I instantly lost all respect for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel VandenBurg
United Kingdom
ISLEWORTH
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
do you work with morons?

I would have added dictionary definition cntrl V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they're not morons. They're just content using their subset of the English language. This is fine by me, as long as I'm not mocked for using my subset.

Actually, the mocking isn't even the big deal. I'm a big boy, I can take a bit of ribbing. I just don't get the attitude. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Reminds me of the story (urban legend?) of the guy who said a co-worker was a bit pedantic, and got in trouble for suggesting that the said co-worker was a pervert of some sort...

...jeeze, how difficult IS it to learn a few thousand of the zillions of words in our wonderful (crazy) English language?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.