Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Herrlich
Germany
Marburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my ongoing quest to get my wife hooked on wargames (Battles of Westeros and Memoir '44 were my first attempt on playing something vaguely wargame-like), we tackled this game, using this free scenario. A very small cavalry skirmish that does away with a large portion of the turn sequence (essentially only rolling for initiative and move your units).

My wife played the Rebels, while I was trying to preserve the Union, by crossing the Rappahannock at Kelly's Ford (2618 - 2718), and taking Elkwood(22159 and possibly Culpeter(1418). To do this I had a strong force of three cavalry-brigades in jumping distance from the Ford at Morrisville (3117), as well as a lone cavalry-brigade at Catlett’s Station (3307) to guard my flank. The South had Fitzhugh Lee's cavalry brigade positioned between the ford and Elkwood, as well as single regiment lead by general Stuart himself defending Culpeter.

The first two initiatives were mine by scenario special rules, rushing the flank guard towards Rappahannock Station (2414) to cross the river at the bridge there, as well as inching Duffie's brigade towards the ford.

I won the next initiative, slamming Duffie into the rebel sharpshooters, and ending up completely shot to pieces back at the north bank (dr = 1).

The rebels moved Stuart's Force up to Elkwood on their initative.

I ordered another crossing of the ford with Reno's Brigade (my weakest force), which succeeded in the crossing, only to end up at fatigue 3.

In the first attempt at combat my wife slammed Lee's Brigade into Reno's forces, achieving nothing except collecting fatigue and disordering both sides.

McIntosh's Brigade was able to cross the Rappahannock unopposed and hit the Rebels there a turn later in a prepared attack, routing them (and scoring a strength-loss (+1VP)).

The retribution followed quickly, as Stuart expertly lead his regiment after a force march into the disorganized brigade of McIntosh, forcing them to retreat.

The only unit which was still able to move was the Flank Guard, sitting forgotten on the road/railroad next to Liberty (2711). Completely failing the MP-roll the first time, They were able to advance up to Rappahannock Station, still on the North of the River.

On their last breath, they were able to meet Lee's shot-up Brigade at Culpeter, and attacked, solely due to numerical superiority, they were able to push the Rebels back and OCCUPY THE TOWN (+1VP)!

Ending the game at this point, I managed to achieve a Substantial Victory for the Union (at +2VP, despite the disastrous beginning.

What was even more of a victory was the fact, that I managed to convince my wife of 'true' wargames due to GCACW's fairly simple mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

A couple of weeks and bring on OCS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Herrlich
Germany
Marburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, WW2 is not really her favourite subject, and I perfer one-map games (I can tape them - with low-stick masking tape - to the underside of our glass table), but 2-mappers are the largest I can do without a much bigger table.

SCS looks good, but is to modern. GBoH and Musket & Pike Battle Series are looking good , but are sometimes difficult to obtain, Baron's/ Wallace's War are interesting as well, and everything by Kevin Zucker.

But the recent move to a new flat soemwhat drained our funds, so probably no new games for a few months. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barton Campbell
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.