Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,

I'm getting loads of questions via Geekmail and email, so I thought I'd give you a few details -- especially for those of you who are new to V&V and wondering what's happening.

First -- and foremost -- D Plus 1 is a way for me to get back to enjoying V&V as a hobby, and secondly it will allow me to get control of a game system that's gotten a little out of hand.

I take full responsibility for what's happened, and I really want to get back to enjoying the game as a pasttime. I've been worrying myself to death over what to do with V&V, what I should work on next, and how to wrestle with something that grew bigger and faster than I ever imagined, and those things combined all but knocked the wind out of my sails.

The most enjoyable part of V&V for me for the last year or so -- and the most surprising -- has been the growing size and enthusiasm of the V&V community. I hope D Plus 1 will get me back into the swing of things, and allow me to once again share something fun and creative with you guys.

----------

So, here's the plan for D Plus 1:

D Plus 1 rules, maps, and scenario books will be available from MagCloud. DIY counter/nationality booklets will also likely be available. MagCloud now ships worldwide, and they offer more printing options.

Maps will be released in batches of two to four, with corresponding scenario books and units.

Maps will be 12" x 18", and will have 2" hexes. The counters may increase in size to 7/8" and 1", but I haven't decided on this one yet.

I'm working on slightly updated art for the maps, but they may end up retaining the same style/standard of art as the originals. I will try to make them more historically accurate, while retaining geomorphic options.

I'll be offering deluxe, laser-cut wooden and/or printed acrylic counters. surprise

The rules should remain the same, but I have considered a bit of streamlining. There will be new rules, but only small additions to the game, mostly focused on amphibious and airborne operations, and playing V&V in 3D...

In addition to the board game, D Plus 1 will feature gameplay with GHQ miniatures and TerrainMaker hexes, and the new maps will be the same hex size as GHQ's Micro Skirmish Boards. The art on the maps should, for the most part, closely resemble the buildings and terrain types you can make in miniature, and I'll also be offering a line of resin buildings and accessories not available from GHQ.

----------

Again, and most importantly, this is my attempt to get back to enjoying V&V as a hobby, while reigning it in a little.

If I can't get back to enjoying it, or find the wind for my sails -- so to speak -- I'll likely pack V&V in the closet with the rest of my old game designs. I just can't keep promising myself -- or, more importantly, YOU -- new stuff when the enjoyment or motivation isn't there.

Besides, there are TONS of other ideas and artistic motivations rolling around in my (rotting) big nugget, and you guys know how I like to tinker...

-Barry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

WBC had several wargames set up with oversized maps and counters and they were really well received. The bigger counters were a hoot. Price will be a factor, but the big pieces impress.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

WBC had several wargames set up with oversized maps and counters and they were really well received. The bigger counters were a hoot. Price will be a factor, but the big pieces impress.

S.

The ASL Deluxe mapboards were always my favorite, and the deluxe chapter in the rules for Micro Armour was really, really cool. It's a shame AH (or MMP) didn't pursue it further. I'm not even sure if the Deluxe chapter is still included in the rules.

The miniatures version is actually a little more intriguing for me -- for a variety of reasons -- but I don't want to abandon the board game.

I like the bigger counters and maps as well, and the laser cutter will allow me to offer any size or shape. I may get creative with the fortifications and markers, but the units will probably remain square with rounded corners.

They will (of course) be more expensive than card counters, but not prohibitively so, and the printed acrylic counters will be nearly indestructible. How cool would it be to have counters you NEVER have to replace?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
obviously do whatever you need to do to get your V&V mojo happening.

What I'm mostly interested in seeing is scenarios from you. You've got a great system, so show me scenarios you believe works best with your system.

What does d plus 1 mean or stand for?
Does this new stuff negate all the stuff currently released?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Macc
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When will this be available at Mag cloud?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
What does d plus 1 mean or stand for?
Does this new stuff negate all the stuff currently released?

I was trying to come up with a clever way of calling Deluxe V&V something other than Deluxe V&V -- so, after much pain and smoke rolling from ye ole noggin', I came up with D (Deluxe) Plus 1 (bigger components and a plus for using miniatures). Not very clever, I know, but it allowed me to make a nifty little logo.

No, it won't negate all the current stuff. Even if I make a few slight modifications for streamlined play your old stuff will still work, even with the new stuff. It will be like Wings of War and Wings of Glory -- they changed a few things, but not enough to make the two incompatible.

The old maps, however, will not combine with the new maps.

enlightenedknave wrote:
When will this be available at Mag cloud?

I'm hoping for October for an introductory module, and the end of the year for more stuff.

Laser cut counters and other "deluxe" components may not happen until early/mid next year. I was planning on getting the cutter in September, but it's a new machine and I may wait for reviews, and for the company to work out any kinks, before taking the (expensive) plunge. I plan on using it for a lot more than just games, so I need to be certain it's the right tool for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so I am understanding, V&V as a self done PnP is now dead then? (At least in terms of "official support" - i.e. new scenarios, maps, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
Just so I am understanding, V&V as a self done PnP is now dead then? (At least in terms of "official support" - i.e. new scenarios, maps, etc.)

I think so, at least for major releases. I may release a little here and there for the DIY gamers -- we'll see.

I'm also a little tired of helping a certain Chinese game pirate (from Montana, Egypt?) make money off of my work. Granted, nothing will stop someone from pirating something -- he also pirates in-print games -- but making it available only in printed form may help, or at least make him pay for a copy.

This new direction may finally give me the chance to make a little myself -- I hope. I don't want this to become a business, but it would be cool if it (at least) paid for itself. And the wife tends to agree with that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:
Nikoms wrote:

I think so, at least for major releases. I may release a little here and there for the DIY gamers -- we'll see.

I'm also a little tired of helping a certain Chinese game pirate (from Montana, Egypt?) make money off of my work. Granted, nothing will stop someone from pirating something -- he also pirates in-print games -- but making it available only in printed form may help, or at least make him pay for a copy.

This new direction may finally give me the chance to make a little myself -- I hope. I don't want this to become a business, but it would be cool if it (at least) paid for itself. And the wife tends to agree with that...

I hope it does work out for you Barry. I'm probably going to be left behind in this change though, shipping is quite expensive to Australia, I don't know if I can justify it.

I'm also unsure whether segregating the fanbase you've already hooked into your product thus far is good thing in the long run, but i'm sure you've thought about that.

I would perfectly happy with a scenario book. Maybe linked mini campaigns ala Memoir. Just something that shows of the system as is really well.

But like you said you need something to motivate you, if this is it then cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
I hope it does work out for you Barry. I'm probably going to be left behind in this change though, shipping is quite expensive to Australia, I don't know if I can justify it.

I'm also unsure whether segregating the fanbase you've already hooked into your product thus far is good thing in the long run, but i'm sure you've thought about that.

I would perfectly happy with a scenario book. Maybe linked mini campaigns ala Memoir. Just something that shows of the system as is really well.

But like you said you need something to motivate you, if this is it then cool.

Thanks, Samuel. I'll see what I can do to keep everyone happy, and not make anything obsolete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry, Victory Point Games have just got a laser cutter and to help pay for it. are doing some work for others. They had a defective laser part and via their website it is clear tyhat they have had a steep learning curve. It might be worth you contacting them, even arranging for them to do the cutting for year 1 while you find your way along the new project.

Here is my 3D setup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two words, Norman.

Bigger.
Picture.

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
Two words, Norman.

Bigger.
Picture.

kiss

I am Jan Tuijp and I approve this message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome, Norm!

Is that GHQ's TerrainMaker, or that plastic hex system (can't recall the name/manufacturer at the moment). I've always loved GHQ, and I can't wait to get V&V on the table in miniature.

As far as the laser cutter, I'm putting that on hold until next year, and for some of the reasons you mentioned. I want to see how VPG works out some of the issues they've been having, and since it's a new machine I want to read some reviews before taking the plunge.

I have, however, ordered a die cutter and dies for the counters, and a digital die cutter for custom shaped counters. I've got some cool stuff planned, for V&V and other designs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry, it is the hard plastic kit supplied by Kallistra, who have a dot com of the same name. Hexes are 4" flat to flat, so that is about a 4' x 3' table on show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Davies
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear that there is more V & V coming, Barry! This has been me and my friend's first wargaming experience, and we have loved the simplicity of how it puts us right in the action. Looking forward to where you go with this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.