Hide
6 Posts

The Princes of Florence» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is money public rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cruz
msg tools
A player aid in the files section here seems to suggest that money can be hidden using the aid. But is money intended to be not-public information in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
It is intended to be hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say money is hidden. In the tournament I run at the World Boardgaming Championships, I specify, as a rule change, that money is open. In practice, errors in money are common, and it seems to me that open money helps reduce the frequency of such errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
As in this game prices and bids are fixed, it seldom helps knowing the amount of money that others have. I mean, suppose that someone bids on a Jester: the height of that bid is fixed (as any bid in this game is fixed). Now, suppose that I know that if I raise the bid, he can also raise further. If I want the Jester for my raised bid, I should raise, even if I can be outbid, because I will never get it if I do not raise. Now suppose that I know that he cannot re-raise. Then I still have to make my bid if I want the Jester, so the situation is exactly the same.

The only situation in which it is useful to know how much money an opponent exactly has, is when you want to make a bluff-bid, which you hope will be raised. I love those when my opponents make them, because I can usually make them get stuck with something they do not want.

Note also that the game requires you to be able to pay for any bid that you make, even if you lose the auction. So, basically, money should be open so that everybody can see that you are not making illegal bids.

Consequently, we always play with money open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Note also that the game requires you to be able to pay for any bid that you make, even if you lose the auction. So, basically, money should be open so that everybody can see that you are not making illegal bids.

Consequently, we always play with money open.

You can always go back on the prestige track to pay for your bids, so I don't see how it's really a concern. It seems like it would be pretty rare for someone to bid more than their combined money + prestige, and kind of obvious even without open money.

(Though I don't particularly like hidden trackable information in most games, so would have no objection to playing with open money.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
You can always go back on the prestige track to pay for your bids, so I don't see how it's really a concern. It seems like it would be pretty rare for someone to bid more than their combined money + prestige, and kind of obvious even without open money.

Late in the game, you are right, but it doesn't seem unlikely early in the game, especially if you are bidding high on Jesters, Recruiters, etc. and trying to delay putting on works so as to get the maximum bang for the buck out of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.