Subject: Did this make Gen Con? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Were any copies able to make it to Gen Con? I know it was supposed to be close.

If so, any impressions from those who've gotten to try it out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
There were more problems with the printer. Curt hand-cut a few copies for demos so none were for sale (they're taking pre-orders at the Smirk & Dagger table).

I got to play a game last night, and here's my take from my personal geeklist/blog of GenCon:
Quote:
The encounters in this set are diabolical (which, if you're familiar with the original game or earlier expansions, is really saying something). The new characters allow for a great deal of customization and their special abilities gave each a unique style of play. And, the box will store the original game and all expansions to date.

This one is a must-have for any fans of Cutthroat Caverns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Bill said.

I played Friday night at 11pm and I had a blast. Enough so that even after being eliminated early on, I stuck around and laughed my hind end off at the antics that went down. I preordered the moment the doors opened on Saturday. That you also get a box to hold all prior expansions and base game is just icing on the cake for a very good game that doesn't annihilate your wallet.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam DeWulf
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quick question:

When talking to Curt at GenCon, it sounded like Fresh Meat was a re-release uber package that included the base game with lots of extra goodies.

Looking at the description on this page, it sounds more like extra goodies for those who have the base set.

Which is it?

I ask because I pre-ordered Fresh Meat based on the first, but am now inclined to believe it is actually the second (which would be annoying since I don't have the base game thinking I'd be getting it with Fresh Meat.)

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard that it included the base game. As far as I know, it's an expansion that comes in a big box that allows current owners to store all their previous expansions and base game in one box.

That being said, the inclusion of revamped base characters, new characters, new monsters and new mechanics (reputations!) makes it WELL worth the price of admission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheikthe wrote:
it sounded like Fresh Meat was a re-release uber package that included the base game with lots of extra goodies.

It doesn't include the base game, it is strictly an expansion.
It does, as indicated above, come in a box that will hold the original and all expansions to date.

You'll be able to use Fresh Meat if you buy the base game (none of the other expansions are required). The BGG entries for the various expansions should indicate what they add to the game if you want to check them out too, but you'll really just need the base game to use Fresh Meat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the creator:

Hi all!
So, news from Gencon on Fresh Meat...

As others have mentioned, the game did not deliver in time. Simply one too many problems on press including printing the game on the wrong card stock the first time around. It was flimsy and would never have held up to use, so I had to refuse it. There was no way to get the next batch in time.

The good news is that I just saw an approval print on Tuesday (Aug 21) and we are good to go. Games are being completed and will ship shortly. I hope to have them in hand in roughly five weeks if all goes well.

As for fan reaction, it was everything I'd hoped. I built this expansion based on the requests of fans. People would have bought it just to get the box that stores it all, but of course there was much more inside the box.

People were very excited by the 12 preset characters with unique life totals and starting abilities and loved the option to custom build their own characters through an ability draft. We played only presets at the events to save time. (We played with 6 hand printed, glued and cut copies that took two and a half days to make)

The creatures, as mentioned above, are the deadliest yet. Nice and balanced when you blend them into your collection - but played alone, events had roughly a 50% TPK ratio. That was without events mucking with things further.

People also liked having new cards in the main deck to add new sizzle and strategies to gameplay.

Given the reaction, I may not have printed enough. I may sell out before I anticipated as it really is a must have for anyone who enjoys the game and has at least one other expansion.

But I think it is important to have Relics or Tombs before this set and I note that on the back of the box. Many of the contents are built to augment the existing Event, Relic and Encounter decks. Not having other events makes the ones in Fresh Meat unusable. You can play Fresh Meat with just the base game, but just don't use the events. (Relics would also be extremely limited, coming into play only through creatures or Reputation abilities of characters instead of the Event deck, which is the most reliable way of getting them.)

I was crushed not to have it, but know it will explode once it hits shelves. Get yours early is my advice.

Curt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.