The Speicherstadt» Forums » General

Subject: What downsides in Speicherstadt? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched a video review and really like the mechanics. Right now i'd like to purchase an auction game and therefore looked up lots of other candidates and lots of them have higher ratings.
Why doesn't this game get better ratings?
What do people dislike about this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
[Even] in their poverty, they referred to their garden of necessity as if it were a hobby.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an excellent game and the one that I would consider as my 'go to gateway game'. Very intelligent, easy to learn and fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poplawski
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Meetup.com Victoria German Language Meetup Group
badge
Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:
I watched a video review and really like the mechanics. Right now i'd like to purchase an auction game and therefore looked up lots of other candidates and lots of them have higher ratings.
Why doesn't this game get better ratings?
What do people dislike about this game?
People maybe don't know what the Speicherstadt is, warehouses really aren't that exciting, and I think that makes people suspicious.

I've had great success (even with non-Germans) by simply puttin the game on the table and playing it. By the end, they like the game a lot!

The game is brilliant, elegant, and everybody should get it and play it. People should also visit Hamburg, too!

Low ratings? Maybe this game isn't as complex as the games that get a high rating here, but that is a bias of this web site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None, it's awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is rather unforgiving. If you miss winning a card critical to you, it can be difficult to come back from. This is especially true in five player games. Brutal with five, so much that I won't play it.

Much better game with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Grrr
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the expansion adds another dimension, plus real coins to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a big fan of auction style games, but we love this game at our house. It doesn't really feel like an auction game. I like it with and without the expansion. Both ways are brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! alot of positive comments thus far...I guess that makes sense being that most people that would subscribe to this game page likely like the game! I saw this as I am subscribed to the Stefan Feld page which links this game. I do not really like this game and here is why.

1) It feels too tight. I don't mind tension in my games and limited resources, but I always felt like I didn't have enough money to do what I wanted. I contrast this to Feld's other auction game Strasbourg(which I love) where it is still tight but you can see what auctions are coming and can plan for them. In Strasbourg I it feels just right tight, but in The Speicherstadt it feels a little too tight.

2) blah artwork. This game's look just doesn't grab me.

3) There are more interesting auction mechanics out there. For example I find both Strasbourg's and Goa's auction mechanics more interesting.

4) It's not so much that this is a bad game. It plays fairly quickly, scale well all the way down to 2p and has interesting decision. I was myself considering it for a long time. In the end, though, for me at least it just doesn't seem like a "great" game. merely "good". If it were cheaper I might consider it, but for how much it costs I want a much better game.

I think I would like this game better if you started off with a bit more cash flow and if there was a bigger deck in which not all the cards are played. I have only played online where everything is open and when you can see exactly how much money people have and which cards are left it seems a little too predictable/mechanical. I wonder if this goes away in face to face play where it is harder ot track these things?

Many people I know and respect absolutely love this game! And being a fan of Stefan Feld I love to see people enjoy his games! I know many people disagree on every single point I've listed here. But for me at least, these are the reasons Speicherstadt is only a 7 for me. I assume the reason it is ranked so lowly and has a avg rating around 7 is that there are others that feel the same as me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poplawski
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Meetup.com Victoria German Language Meetup Group
badge
Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to expand on what I wrote earlier, and to reply to Carl's comments, The Speicherstadt can be polarizing, for sure. The game is simple and brutal. It's transparent and symmetrical. The fires are coming. The ships are coming. All the cards are coming out. How will each player get what they need? There is no mystery in the game other than what order the cards appear on the market.

That said, I wouldn't play this game online. The fun in this game is the interaction between the players during the auctions--the suspense of watching other players placing their workers, and the challenge of finding the best places for your own. The refreshing of the market usually results in hoots and hollers in my group, too.

Anyway, I think I will like Strasbourg when I play it, and Kaispeicher will probably be fun to have on hand, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What downsides in Speicherstadt?.
recallme wrote:
Right now i'd like to purchase an auction game ...
I have trouble calling this an auction game. It's not just bidding, it is bullying. I don't beat my opponent by bidding higher, rather I undermine his bid so he can't pay/won't want to pay. I out maneuver him so that I pay less.

I think this conflict is probably the reason people are attracted (and maybe makes others turn away).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
I do not really like this game and here is why.

1) It feels too tight. ...

I think I would like this game better ...if there was a bigger deck in which not all the cards are played.
Thematically, I was drawn to the idea of collecting goods from ships, then converting them into points by fulfilling contracts. In practice, this feels a pretty small portion of the game to me. One reason is that there seems to be so few Contracts when they must also be shared with others. For another, I get a sensation that the count of City cards is overwhelming.

I feel I can only focus on one type or the other. Once I have a Contract, for example, I feel I cannot allow myself the distraction of disrupting someone who is reaching for the full set of Counting Houses.

These issues might give me reason to dislike the game, but all that is so overpowered by the excited emotion generated in the bidding conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
I think I would like this game better if you started off with a bit more cash flow and if there was a bigger deck in which not all the cards are played.

At least item #1 is handled in Kaispecher (which IS a really nice expansion), with additional income producing cards.

That said, if you leave yourself too low on funds, or are in the wrong place in the cycle of bidders when your particular ship/card comes in, then it's hard, and every decision affects others. This is still true in Kaispecher, even though there are more paths to success.

The artwork is fairly understated, which befits a game about shipping and warehousing.

Tha game plays through fairly quickly. Kaispecher lengthens the game because it adds cards and bidding rounds, but it still plays similarly quickly (unless someone deliberates over the bidding decisions).

I think face-to-face plays would add a lot to the game- but play it with people who aren't easily hurt, because there will be cards which everyone wants, but only one person gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
If it were cheaper I might consider it, but for how much it costs I want a much better game.

It is the cheapest Feld in my collection....And I got them all except from Arena.

Anyway: I like Speicherstadt quite a bit, but still think he made much better games. In my opinion the most of Carls concerns would vanish with Kaispeicher. Except from the artwork-issue, which I can not confirm: The cover for example is just great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether you like the theme or not, or auction-style games, I think its biggest problem is that it has no legs.

Even if you find it interesting, I can't imagine it staying that way for long. There's not enough variety to make each game fresh enough. The play choices get boring too, all you do is choose what to bid for each turn. That's it.

So I guess what I'm saying it it has no replayability. Even though the auction mechanic is unique, it's not enough to build a whole game around, at least not past just a few plays.

I've played it four times. And I'm done with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry you feel this way about it. We play the game quite a bit, even as a 2 player game, and we like it. Everyone has different taste I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game doesn't have long legs. After a few plays it will seem repetitive. It's good as a super filler but the items for auction are so balanced they are somewhat uninteresting. I think a comparable sized and length game such as Witch's Brew or Glen More has more replay value and depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: If you add Kaispiecher, those concerns about "dryness" and predictability go out the window - many new cards, and stacks of them go unbought each game...but if your group has an AP problem, it will become worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Heitman
United States
Norwalk
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
This is probably my favorite light/mid euro. You get some really terrific player interaction here- especially among friends who can handle the screwage factor. The tightness that some people don't like is truly the game's chief virtue.

I can see myself playing this for a long time to come on those merits alone.

The auction mechanic is also fairly unique and allows for some really devious positioning.

Curious about the expansion, but I worry it might take that tightness away...

As for the original post, one of the other merits of the game is how often it hits the table. I have found this surprisingly easy to get out. Despite the dull exterior, this is always a hit. I've even played it with a group of non-gamer 12 year olds who loved it.

Bottom line, you'll get your money's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.