Subject: Extra tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Channing Guenther
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
So, I actually managed to get a face-to-face game of MK in the other night. It was a 2 player non-PVP game. I really was hoping more of my friends would be available and we'd get to try a PVP game (specifically Hold and Conquer), unfortunately it was not to be and since my one available friend wanted to keep things simple, we decided against PVP.

It was a really interesting game (full conquest, random tile orientation) and the score ended up being the closest I've seen in MK.

I won with 119 fame to his 117. Lol... I basically consider this game a tie.

Figuring out the titles at the end nearly gave us both heart attacks as I'd win a title and go up a few points, then he would win a title and go up a few points. Very nerve-wracking.

We did come up with a rules question. One we basically decided to roll a die to decide.

What exactly happens if you want to explore another tile after your tile-pile is depleted?

Under Movement (5e), the rulebook says...

"If there are no tiles left in the Map Tile deck when a player attempts to explore, he may use a random Countryside tile removed from the game during Setup. If all Countryside tiles have been placed, he can use removed non-City Core tiles instead. Tiles explored this way can only be placed such that they are adjacent to at least three oher tiles (to fill up holes). If there are no tiles in the box, no more tiles can be explored."

The "Tiles explored this way" part is a little ambiguous. Is it referring to the previous sentence or to all the previous sentences?

i.e. Does that mean that ONLY non-City Core tiles need to be adjacent to 3 other tiles or both non-City Core tiles AND Countryside tiles do?

We ended up ruling (via die roll) that a new Countryside tile could be explored despite only being adjacent to 2 other tiles... cause really, it's often very rare to have a spot open that touches 3 other tiles (especially in a wedge-map).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
c_guenther wrote:
i.e. Does that mean that ONLY non-City Core tiles need to be adjacent to 3 other tiles or both non-City Core tiles AND Countryside tiles do?
By my interpretation of the quoted rule, "both non-City Core tiles AND Countryside tiles" have to abide the rule.

c_guenther wrote:
it's often very rare to have a spot open that touches 3 other tiles (especially in a wedge-map)

XXX-COR-COR
CNT-CNT-COR-CNT
CNT-CNT-CNT
CNT-CNT
POR

XXX would be such a spot in a 2-player Full-Conquest Wedge map. I am not so certain such a situation would be that rare
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
c_guenther wrote:
really, it's often very rare to have a spot open that touches 3 other tiles (especially in a wedge-map).

It is rare, that's why the game refers to it as "filling holes". Most games it won't happen.

Building out the wedge map does have several quirks to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Engel

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I remember an official post explaining that you could place extra countryside tiles if it was adjacent to 2 other tiles, or core tiles if they were adjacent to 3 tiles. I can't find it now, but perhaps someone else remembers (or perhaps we can get another official answer to this here. =) ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But this answer can be found in rules. Why do you want official answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Engel

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:
But this answer can be found in rules. Why do you want official answer?

Well, the reason why the OP originally asked is because the answer in the rules is slightly vague. The "this" in "Tiles explored this way" could refer to either just using extra core tiles (as that is what is explained in the previous sentence), or it could refer to ALL tiles (as explained in the several sentences before).

To be honest, the way that the sentence is structured, it seems to me that there would be different rules for extra Countryside vs. Core tiles. Otherwise, it should basically say it up front, eg, "If you run out of tiles from the map deck, you cannot explore new tiles unless the tile would be adjacent to at least 3 other tiles. In this case, use a Countryside tile that is left from the box, or a core tile only if there are no countryside tiles left. If there are no tiles left in the box, you cannot explore new tiles."

I'm not a rules writer, but that would seem a lot more straightforward than basically using several sentences explaining what you can do, only to backtrack it by saying that actually, it's really only a corner case that. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leshrac55 wrote:
The "this" in "Tiles explored this way" could refer to either just using extra core tiles (as that is what is explained in the previous sentence), or it could refer to ALL tiles (as explained in the several sentences before).

I see the argument but I don't really think it's plausible. "This way" only refers to how the tile is explored, not to what kind of tile it is. So I don't see how it could apply differently to countryside tiles than to core tiles.

I don't think there's a real question here, but I've been wrong before. You could post in the FAQ thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.