Subject: Infantry and Artillery in the same hex rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hrasky
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
If an infantry unit and an artillery unit are in the same hex, can you order both of them to do an action? Or is it only one action per hex per turn? Also, and this is probably a dumb question, but can these combined units separate? For instance, can an infantry unit attached to an artillery unit detach from the artillery?

Also, when a hex with both artillery and infantry in it is targeted, does the attacker get to choose which unit he is attacking? i am assuming the default is that they attack the artillery but I wasn't sure.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
Malick wrote:
If an infantry unit and an artillery unit are in the same hex, can you order both of them to do an action? Or is it only one action per hex per turn?

You can give actions to both units, there is no "per hex" limit.

Quote:
Also, and this is probably a dumb question, but can these combined units separate? For instance, can an infantry unit attached to an artillery unit detach from the artillery?

Yes, you can separate as you choose. They aren't truly attached, they are just sharing a hex; they are still activated for movement and combat individually.

Quote:
Also, when a hex with both artillery and infantry in it is targeted, does the attacker get to choose which unit he is attacking? i am assuming the default is that they attack the artillery but I wasn't sure.

The attacker targets the hex, not a particular unit. The rules require the unit with the highest morale value to take the hits; the owning player chooses in the case of equal values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Zoldak
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
What if one of the units is eliminated? Does the other have to take hits or is it exempt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Northern VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,

If there are enough hits to damage the unit that's not eliminated then it takes hits. But keep Bill's answer to the previous question in mind - the unit with the most MPs takes the hits. If I recall correctly, this is determined after each hit is taken. So, for example, if an infantry with 2 MP and artillery with 2 MP are in a hex that takes two hits, the first hit is taken by whichever unit the defending commander chooses because both are equal MP at 2. When the first hit is taken one of the units MPs is reduced to 1 so the second hit would come from the other unit in the hex because it now has more MP remaining (2 vs. 1). So the result of this damage would be to reduce both units to 1 MP (as opposed to eliminating one unit and leaving one undamaged).

Similarly if in the case above three hits were rolled, the defender would choose which unit the first hit was taken from, the second hit would come from the other unit, and the third hit would be defender's choice since both are now 1 MP. So bottom line, both units are damaged defender's choice on which is eliminated.

This is a simple example that can be complicated by an Elite infantry being present and rolling a save roll (see Sept. 2009 FAQ "Combat" second question) but the key concept is that hits are taken by unit with most MP and "most MP" is recomputed after each hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Zoldak
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Rich, thanks for that answer. I think that takes care of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.