Subject: Infantry and Artillery in the same hex rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hrasky
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
If an infantry unit and an artillery unit are in the same hex, can you order both of them to do an action? Or is it only one action per hex per turn? Also, and this is probably a dumb question, but can these combined units separate? For instance, can an infantry unit attached to an artillery unit detach from the artillery?

Also, when a hex with both artillery and infantry in it is targeted, does the attacker get to choose which unit he is attacking? i am assuming the default is that they attack the artillery but I wasn't sure.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malick wrote:
If an infantry unit and an artillery unit are in the same hex, can you order both of them to do an action?

If the infantry is in square and the artillery is inside the square, the answer is no. Otherwise, and assuming you mean separate actions for each, the answer is yes, so long as you pay the action points for each.

Malick wrote:
Or is it only one action per hex per turn?

Have you seen a reference to one action per hex per turn in the rules? If there is one, I haven't seen it.

Malick wrote:
Also, and this is probably a dumb question, but can these combined units separate? For instance, can an infantry unit attached to an artillery unit detach from the artillery?

Short answer, yes. Long answer, infantry doesn't "attach" to artillery. It can stack with it, and if it forms square, the artillery must be declared to be inside or outside (see 7.4 Square in the rules).

Malick wrote:
Also, when a hex with both artillery and infantry in it is targeted, does the attacker get to choose which unit he is attacking? i am assuming the default is that they attack the artillery but I wasn't sure.

Once again, you should read the 7.4 Square rules. If the infantry forms square and the artillery is declared to be inside, it can't be targeted by either shock or fire attacks, and will only take losses after the infantry square is eliminated. If artillery remains outside the square, or the infantry isn't in square, the units can be targeted separately for shock attacks.

Fire attacks don't target specific units, but simply apply to the unit with the most figures. If the number of figures is equal (1 infantry and 1 artillery), and the artillery isn't inside square, it is the owning player's choice which will take the loss.(see last paragraph of 8.2.2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.