Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I'm curious to hear the house rules that others enjoy using.

My personal favorite is: each side cannot roll more than 2 sequential MISS roles. So if the heros roll 1 and the OL has none, than heros can only roll 1 more and it still count, otherwise, re-roll. I enjoy this because lop sided MISS rolls can take away from the enjoyment of the game (for me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
On the flip side, our thief managed to miss 5 of 6 shots in our first game. That made the game a *lot* more interesting than it would have been otherwise. Plus it made for some fun banter in our next game (where, yes, she missed her opening move shot).

BTW: I suspect your rule slightly favors the heroes. My reasoning is that, usually, the expected result is that the heroes will trounce the monsters and that the monsters real chances lay in the fringes of the bell curve - those cases when the heroes pile on more misses than expected!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think the rule favors the heroes more than the overlord. I agree because I feel that heros suffer more from misses than OL does (his objectives usually involve simply delAying the heros, and whether he drops one or not doesn't matter all that much).

I see now that this should be in a different forum - variants. Sorry about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gleason
msg tools
mb
I only use on house rule for LOS. Like many people I kinda feel like the "simplified" rules are a little to easy to cheat on. I trace LOS from the same corners for each square and if only 1 is blocked I consider it to be in LOS. If 2 or more it's not considered to be in LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Before a game has been played for a number of months and by a sufficient number of players, I am not interested in house rules - which amount, most of the time, to "grudge rules", where players try to "fix" a game they haven't enough experience yet to offer competent variants to its system.
As a general observation, there are far less house rules proposals when the game has recieved a global and durable playing, as players discern that the alledged "weaknesses" of the rules were not as dumb as they first thought.
Typically, you have newbies come and whine against the system (even calling some rules "broken") and offering their "genius" modifications as the solution to what they see as problems - when experimented players have been using the system as is without noticing any unsuperable "failure" in the system.

Now I am new to Descent, so perhaps there is a tradition of changing things that does not exist in other games - my background is mostly wargaming, where house rules are mostly seen as "grudge rules", elaborated by gamers who want to make the game more realistic and who miss the point that a game has to rely upon abstractions to be playable and that it never will be a "simulation" in an absolute sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:

Now I am new to Descent,

Obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Robin wrote:

Now I am new to Descent,

Obviously.
Do you mean that Descent players do commonly introduce house rules in their games?
It would make them quite different from other boardgame communities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Robin wrote:

Now I am new to Descent,

Obviously.
Do you mean that Descent players do commonly introduce house rules in their games?
It would make them quite different from other boardgame communities.

When you say "other board game communities", which are you talking about? Eurogamers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
When you say "other board game communities", which are you talking about? Eurogamers?
I am speaking of board wargamers, of many boardgamers (euro, ameritrash, etc.) which consider that sticking to the rules is the norm.
I don't see RuneAge, Thunderstone, Starcraft gamers create house rules a lot.
In Advanced Squad Leader, house rules are massively rejected (as there are tourneys, where players must follow the rulebook).

I presume that you are more acquainted to the RPG community, where things are much more relativized - not a negative thing, IMO, but a distinctive cultural trait.
Among boardgames, I have seen some house ruling, such as introducing a die combat system in DQ.

My gaming background - which is mostly ASL and other wargames where "tinkering" with the system is a bad idea - has to do with my reluctance about house rules.

The fact that DJIDv2 is so recent leads me, too, to be cautious about house rules which try to "fix" a system that people haven't had the opportunity to test in depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
[q="bleached_lizard"]
I don't see RuneAge, Thunderstone, Starcraft gamers create house rules a lot.

RuneAge and Thunderstone are Eurogames. And if you haven't seen many variants for Starcraft then you haven't been looking very hard.

Ameritrash games are usually much more open to being tinkered with, as there are so many moving parts that changing a few of them slightly doesn't make a huge amount of difference; the changes just get swallowed up in the chaos of the whole. This is especially true of FFG games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought eurogames were Ticket to Ride, Agricola, Settlers, etc.
Typical wood+cardboard games, usually produced by European (German) designers...

I understand your definition as "non ameritrash".
Where would you place the board wargamers?
I can assure you that, if you go on an ASL forum (Gamesquad) and propose house rules, you won't get an enthusiastic reply - especially if it looks like a "gruge rule" (i.e. a rule that satisfies a player's subjective need of things to be "right" or "realistic").

For Starcraft, I go on the edge forum (in French), and there are no massive house rules offered over there - but it could be an European trait not to modify the rules and just try to play the game as is.

Perhaps, too, my wargamer mentality leads me not to solve problems by changing the data of a game system, but by adapting my strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:

Typically, you have newbies come and whine against the system (even calling some rules "broken") and offering their "genius" modifications as the solution to what they see as problems - when experimented players have been using the system as is without noticing any unsuperable "failure" in the system.

No one said anything against the game in this thread. I use house rules, as I imagine others do, to further enjoy the experience. Some like them, others don't. That's fine.

I play a lot of Munchkin. That is a game that requires a bit of house rules because interpretations of cards and the legality of certain actions are open to debate.

What's Important is what makes a game most fun for you and others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.