United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Dungeon Petz and Dungeon Lords. The art is the best I've ever seen and the game play is awesome. These games are not very forgiving. Your dungeon can get conquered and your pet can suffer greatly. You can lose. I don't mind. To quote Newsies, "I look on it as a challenge". Unfortunately I have some friends that can't take it. My one friend has walked away from multiple games, ruining it for the rest of us, because he decided that he had no chance of recovering. Other friends just don't feel like playing. I want to play bad, but I can't as often as I want. If I could clone my wife and I, we'd be set, but for now I depend on outside forces. Is there hope?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McKenzie
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am ever in Utah I will play with you. Also if you are ever in Dallas we can get some games going here as well.

In general though there are types of players that have a hard time enjoying a game that they feel they have no chance in winning. I head this off by trying to evaluate how the other ARE winning and what choices I made that directed me down the wrong path.

On games where I could not have changed the outcome (Luck, 3 different people taking my stuff, etc...) it does get more frustrating for me. However I tell myself that I would like to play more games so I do not want to irritate folks to the point that they do not want to play games.

Best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My one friend has walked away from multiple games, ruining it for the rest of us
I would NEVER play with this guy again. Ever.

We have played many sessions of DL and DP and never had such issues as the ones you describe. If someone got behind on points they coped with it and tried not to spoil the session for the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if you run away from a game, just think of all the tough situations in life that won't be resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play 2-player with just your wife. It's a good 2-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
You can play 2-player with just your wife. It's a good 2-player game.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True. Dungeon Petz is great with two people, but Dungeon Lords just works better with four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyman3 wrote:
True. Dungeon Petz is great with two people, but Dungeon Lords just works better with four.

Better with four, perhaps, but all but a small handful of my Dungeon Lords games have been two players, and I think it was worth the purchase price even for that number
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'Rocky' Robertson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Now a Sarf London boy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also played with two, but having two dungeons each, I know what I'm picking on two Lords, but then again so does the other person

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it goes sometimes. Honestly, there are times (and games) where a bad start almost assuredly buries you for the remainder of the game. It can be incredibly frustrating and make nights very difficult for some people. I'll admit, there are times where I just tune completely out of the game or dedicate myself to dicking with other players if I get ruined early on.

Sadly the answer is you need to keep your group's preferences in mind and find other people who like this particular style of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
I'll admit, there are times where I...dedicate myself to dicking with other players if I get ruined early on.

One of my biggest pet peeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
while i enjoy dungeon lords and take all the good and bad in stride, dungeon petz consistently gets on my nerves, for a lot of reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.