Subject: Barcelona - where to play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
I just came to Barcelona and I will spend two weeks here. Is there any place where board games geeks meet to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey! I just got here too! Only here for two days before I leave on a cruise. Shame, I brought 1812: The Invasion of Canada along. I'd still hit you up but here on my honeymoon so can't leave the wife
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran F G
Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
Café Race is a race game set in a business office. The players take the role of office workers going upstairs to the first floor to get a cup of coffee who then improvise a race while they are going back downstairs… with a cup full of coffee.
badge
Someone you trust is one of us. Fnord. - Ich bin ein Spielfreak, aber ich spiele sehr selten
mbmbmbmbmb
Try here:

http://www.eldracdelqueimada.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the map on how to get there: http://www.eldracdelqueimada.com/12.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I asked the question above, maybe someone will be interested in my Barcelona gaming experience.

In my city Poznan, Poland there is a group of players who meet every week (sometimes more often). Usually there are over 50 people playing, and that number is growing every year. I must say I enjoy board games also because of the fact, that gamers are usually open and friendly people. This is my experience based on face to face meetings and on internet forums like BGG, Polish forum etc or yucata.de site. I thought it works the same in Barcelona, so I asked the question.

So I came to the pub, that was mentioned above. The pub itself is a place that would not attract any tourist, the only reason to get inside are the games. As I entered I said hello in Catalan language, and nobody ansered. I came to the owner said hi, do you speak English. The man said no and .. just walked away leaving me standing alone. He did not care about me any more, he did not even tried to ask me if I want to order something not mentioning any help with finding someone who would translate, etc.

I came to a group of players asking if anyone speaks English. One said he does, so I explained how I got here, and that it would be nice to play with local gamers. He just said that maybe someone will come and turned around. In my Polish group if a foreigner (or any new local player) came to play he/she would be welcomed and people would try to help him to have a nice time. I did not expect anyone to stop the game, but I was sure that the player will say - hi, it is nice to see you here, we are about to finish, maybe you will join our next game etc.

After my adventure with the bar owner and the first group, I tried to talk to other two groups with generally the same result (well one man was nice enough to chat with me for 3 minutes). So after 15 minutes I walked out of the bar as I found nobody who would be at least a little interested in helping, inviting me etc.

I am used to friendly gamers so I expected the same in Barcelona. Unfortunately (maybe I was not lucky) gamers here were not friendly. It was just the opposite, the atmosphere for me was very , very unfriendly. I was completely ignored, nobody was interested to help a foreiger to feel welcomed, and the bar owner - ha, ha I just could not believe he was real.

Overall it was a very interesting experience, not the one I would expect, but really unusual.

@moshe - I am sorry we could not meet, but I hope you enjoy your honeymoon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hei Harun,

Indeed Queimada is a bit rough....Indeed, only groups of friends meet, and mostly bring their own games to play. I do not understand why people like to go there.

If you are still around and got energy for a second try, please go to Sants this weekend. There is a boardgame meeting (http://barnaludica.blogspot.com.es/). I will go to there on Saturday and will be alert for English speaking people. We can have a beer, talk about games for a while...and hopefully I will change your opinion on catalan gamers!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran F G
Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
Café Race is a race game set in a business office. The players take the role of office workers going upstairs to the first floor to get a cup of coffee who then improvise a race while they are going back downstairs… with a cup full of coffee.
badge
Someone you trust is one of us. Fnord. - Ich bin ein Spielfreak, aber ich spiele sehr selten
mbmbmbmbmb
It's several years now that I haven't been to the Queimada.

I don't know how the atmosphere is nowadays, but at the time I went there, it was just like you described in Poland.

It was very different from what has happened to you.

I am so sorry that my recommendation turned out to be bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hi

no problem, unfortunately I go home tomorrow, but maybe next time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Prieto
Spain
Viladecans
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Czes´c´ Harun,

It´s sad you had such an unpleasant experience. People attending that place are usually geeks who know each other, bring their games and play. Sometimes (not always) they're not quite open to new gamers, becoming rather a closed circle. It's not the case of every attendee there, though. Anyway you had bad luck with this issue and in addition English skills of Spaniards is often shameful.

I'd like you to not take into account this negative experience and next time you visit Barcelona I encourage you to try again in this thread.

I'd also like you to give me the address of that gaming club in Poznan´. It's a city I don't know and it would be great to hang around there when I visit the city in the future.

Trzymaj sie,

Jordi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Dropez
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
I would rather be here
badge
Auda will come to Aqaba because it is his pleasure...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry you had an unpleasant experience. Send me an email if you ever come again to Barcelona, you can count on me for a wargame playing in my home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hola!

Thanks for your kind words. I know I just had a bad luck and there are many nice gamers in Barcelona

fjordi wrote:

I'd also like you to give me the address of that gaming club in Poznan´. It's a city I don't know and it would be great to hang around there when I visit the city in the future.

All the information is here http://www.gramajda.pl/
It is in Polish. But whenever you come to Poznan, just send me a PM and I will help you to have a nice boardgaming time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Prieto
Spain
Viladecans
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I take note. Dziekuje bardzo!

Of course, please make me know when you are in Barcelona again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I posted a similar thread when we visited in April, and was invited to check out Queimada-Nivell Q by Ulrich(ludopath). I contacted Ulrich before going and we were able to meet up and play a few games. It was a pretty quiet night at the bar, with just two other groups playing - one was a group of German speakers if I recall correctly. The owner and his wife were very friendly once they knew we were with Ulrich - but didn't speak much English, that's for certain.

Sorry you had an unpleasant experience. We had a great experience, but I can imagine it being hard to break the ice if we hadn't made the contact ahead of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harun, I'm sorry you had a bad gaming experience in Barcelona. I know a lot of gamers there who are totally friendly to using English to play.

Maybe it would have been better to prearrange an appointment with a BGG user to break the ice, as others suggest.

Cheer up, you can come back when the Sagrada Família is finished!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sung Park
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Hi! Sorry if I am bringing up an old thread, but I am also in Barcelona for a few months, it would be great to play some board games with people as I don't know many people here
I think I'm a bit on the young side for playing board games but I find them really fun and play often with my friends back home. Anyone available to play would be great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jose carrion
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

What are your timetables? and your favourite games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran F G
Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few game events near in the future. If you are interested we can maintaining you informed.

In November will be the 24 hours of Sabadell (yes, 24 hours in a row playing board games in a city near Barcelona, 30 minutes in train) and in December will be Ayudar Jugando in Barcelona, a beneficent two day (saturday and sunday) game event for children where you can play nearly any kind of game.

Also, we can try to make an appointment to play some games in Queimada. I'm starting to go back to playing in Queimada, so I can notify you if I will go... but the problem is that I don't know if a will go until the last moment and that may be a little hasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sung Park
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Hey, I'm up for games usually anytime on the weekend, but during the weekend I'm only free late, like 8pm or later. I don't have a whole lot of experience with board games but my favorites out of the ones I've tried are Carcassonne, Catan, Agricola and Power Grid, though I would really like to try new stuff as well. I'd love to work out sometime to meet with you guys, perhaps we can set something up by PM?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jose carrion
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
have a look at my collection, and if you want to try any, just send me a MP
and we could meet at Queimada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernesto Sassot
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sung:

I'd be glad to show you our gaming club. We are usually involved in wargames but we also play other boardgames as the ones you mention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sung Park
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
that sounds good! when are you guys usually playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernesto Sassot
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any day we agree, but mainly on tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sung Park
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
hmm I work during the weekdays but I can join you guys this saturday?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Mansolilli
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hola,

Okay, so I'm a little nervous to reignite this thread after reading about Harun's experience, but board gaming is more important! So that being said, does anyone have a good recommendation on where to play this upcoming Wednesday or Thursday night (16-17 Jan). My wife and I are visiting from the Cadiz area. Shamefully, are Spanish is terrible - probably because we are to busy playing games instead of studying! We play a very wide variety of games... and are decently familiar with most top 100 BGG.

Thanks!
-Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jose carrion
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ron, you can visit this new place:

http://www.fireflybcn.es/

from 10.00 to 23.00.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.