• [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never a good idea to call people out in public on BGG, or insulting them. I'd recommend redacting your post, and taking it to an admin if you have a grievance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Never a good idea to call people out in public on BGG, or insulting them. I'd recommend redacting your post, and taking it to an admin if you have a grievance.

This.

Although I agree with your stance I think that the better course of action would be to ignore those emails altogether. Did anyone actually think that there would ever be a proper winner to the endurance thread? If anyone ever took that as a serious contest then they were missing the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
mylittlepwny wrote:

Rule #5: James King is a dick

I have nothing real to add.

So does the Endurance thread start here? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mylittlepwny wrote:
Amy Wiles is now in charge.

Victory!

Also, you might want to edit your OP here as others have suggested.

Oh, and I have elected to share responsibilities of the Endurance sockpuppet account that is holding the cash. I will also be stepping out of the contest in order to admin it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Post edited....grumble mumble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the official place for the rules.

The winner is the person who is the last to post, and 23 hours and 20 minutes goes by without any new posts. The time limit is adjusted down 30 minutes for every 50 pages. Every new post, including repeat posts and also posts by mylittlepwny and me (the administrators of the prize), restarts the clock. If BGG is down, the clock is considered off until the site comes back online. If mylittlepwny or I "win," the prize is given to person who posted immediately before. Enter as many times as you like. To enter, simply reply to the thread in this link. Trying to crash others' browsers is illegal.

To add to the pool, please tip the following user:
Endurance
msg tools

Any tips to any other user belong to that user. Only the tips given to Endurance will be added to the winnings.

Currently the prize pool is 127.00 GG.

The original thread is here.
Version 2.0 is here. At 50 pages.
Version 3.0 will begin if and when V2.0 reaches 500 pages.

Final edit: The contest is now over. Frumpish won!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
mylittlepwny wrote:
Amy Wiles is now in charge.

mbmbmb ALL HAIL THE QUEEN!!!! mbmbmb

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
mylittlepwny wrote:
Wow, it's like I'm late to the car accident, or something. Everything has been cleaned up and sanitized, of which I approve... but some part of me wants to see the twisted metal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenDude wrote:
mylittlepwny wrote:
Wow, it's like I'm late to the car accident, or something. Everything has been cleaned up and sanitized, of which I approve... but some part of me wants to see the twisted metal.

I've gotten a couple of geekmails about this. Thanks guys, but I do agree that this issue should be put to rest, my curiosity notwithstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

MWChapel wrote:
mylittlepwny wrote:

It does if you're genuinely wary about participating in another Endurance-Thread Contest. After all, if you'd read my GeekMail correspondence with MyLittlePwny, you'd be all the more wary as well.

So, before participating in the new Endurance-Thread Contest, one might well consider requesting of me by GeekMail my correspondence with MyLittlePwny in which I took him to task for tolerating consecutive multi-spam posting and for failing to properly police his own Endurance-Thread Contest.

I also told him that when one is perceived as having aided and abetted the short-circuiting of his own main contest by having abdicated his duty as the contest sponsor to try to curtail, prevent, and/or disqualify competing spam-message "mini-contests" in his main contest thread -- especially after he'd already stipulated in no uncertain terms that server-crashing posting would not tolerated -- then the rules of his "fun little thing" of an Endurance-Thread Contest had essentially been nullified and compromised once the thread was locked, and the fun of purpose for which the rule-abiding non-spam-posting participants had participated in the thread has been usurped altogether.

I also don't buy the line, "I had my fun and got tired of it", from the sponsor of a Endurance-Thread Contest.

In comparative terms of a "Dance 'Til Ya Drop" Endurance Dance Marathons, that sort of cop-out would be like if the organizers of a dance marathon suddenly and arbitrarily decided to reduce the size of the entire dance floor down to a 3' X 3' square big enough to contain only one still-standing couple of their choice in order to bring the contest to an abrupt ending and crown a winner despite the fact that there were plenty of able dancing couples still on the dance floor.

As of this reading, I haven't read anything in the rules for this new Endurance-Thread Contest that would prevent such abuses as the type of consecutive multi-post spamming that resulted in the locking of the first Endurance Thread. And for the reason that I'd like to avoid participating in another anti-climactic cop-out of a thread train wreck, I think I'll dance elsewhere where I won't get tripped up by kamikaze multi-post spamming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

thermogimp wrote:
col_w wrote:

This.

Although I agree with your stance I think that the better course of action would be to ignore those emails altogether. Did anyone actually think that there would ever be a proper winner to the endurance thread? If anyone ever took that as a serious contest then they were missing the point.

And yet, the sponsor of the first Endurance-Thread Contest had seriously offered an ever-growing pot of Geek Gold just the same.

What's more, since Endurance Dance Marathons do end up with a winner -- and indeed, since endurance marathons and contests of all types do yield winners -- why should I expect less of a Endurance-Thread Contest offering a serious amount of Geek Gold?

By the way, my complaints properly addressed the failures and deficiencies in his (the contest sponsor's) proctoring and policing of his own Endurance-Thread Contest. Based on his GeekMail correspondence, I have inferred that he purposefully allowed consecutive multi-post spamming to go on in order to hopefully short-circuit the thread and cause it to get locked, thus arbitrarily ending the contest -- only without an honest-to-goodness winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Post spamming" was never against the rules. Deliberate browser crashing was. My browser didn't crash, and hasn't crashed since shortly after that rule was made.

How much policing was required, anyway? As far as I saw, people were still having fun.

Come to think of it, MyLittlePwny didn't sign an eternal contract to manage this. It was a fun little thing that grew big because it was popular. If you felt it wasn't being done right, you might have offered to take it over - you might have been pleasantly surprised by his willingness.

Anyway, it sounds like you have some ideas for rules that might be added and/or amended. I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

I'll continue participating because it's still fun for me - and I don't give a damn about the prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Passing of the Endurance quicklier
Have you folks tried either 'prune juice' or 'chocolatey EXLAX' as a 'solution' about this 'matter'? robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Have you folks tried either 'prune juice' or 'chocolatey EXLAX' as a 'solution' about this 'matter'? robot

Yep, just waiting for it to kick in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

GreenDude wrote:
"Post spamming" was never against the rules. Deliberate browser crashing was. My browser didn't crash, and hasn't crashed since shortly after that rule was made.

Thank you for inadvertently making my point for me: Since the contest sponsor didn't act to amend his rules to also include the outlawing of consecutive multi-post spamming, he enabled the inevitable locking of the thread himself.

GreenDude wrote:
How much policing was required, anyway? As far as I saw, people were still having fun.

Oh, I'm sure toward the end that the post spammers were having fun; however, since their "fun" resulted in the locking of the thread, that ended the fun for everybody.

GreenDude wrote:
Come to think of it, MyLittlePwny didn't sign an eternal contract to manage this. It was a fun little thing that grew big because it was popular. If you felt it wasn't being done right, you might have offered to take it over - you might have been pleasantly surprised by his willingness.

False conclusion. There's no endurance to an Endurance-Thread Contest if you, the contest sponsor, allow it to be arbitrarily derailed by multi-post spammers whose efforts only wound up causing the thread to be locked in the first place.

GreenDude wrote:
Anyway, it sounds like you have some ideas for rules that might be added and/or amended. I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

LOL! That should be a no-brainer after this most recent fiasco.

GreenDude wrote:
I'll continue participating because it's still fun for me - and I don't give a damn about the prize.

Spam away at will then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh? The thread was locked because it got too big. News flash : It was always going to get that big, it was just a matter of time. Big deal. We have a new thread. It's shiny. We can put up some new curtains, maybe some nice pictures. Or a Jacuzzi!

I'd address your other points, but they're just iterations on "The thread got locked and it's everyone's fault and my fun is gone".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

MWChapel wrote:
mylittlepwny wrote:

James, I'd just like to add that in the OP, mylittlepwny did not post what is written in the above quote. Chapel deleted what MLP wrote and substituted his own words entirely. In fact, I don't believe MLP said anything at all about you, only discussed that you had sent him geekmails and expressed his own feelings about the thread. There were no "rules," and language like the above was not present in the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

James, I'd just like to add that in the OP, mylittlepwny did not post what is written in the above quote. Chapel deleted what MLP wrote and substituted his own words entirely.

Apparently, you missed the post entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

MWChapel wrote:
mylittlepwny wrote:

It does if you're genuinely wary about participating in another Endurance-Thread Contest. After all, if you'd read my GeekMail correspondence with MyLittlePwny, you'd be all the more wary as well.

So, before participating in the new Endurance-Thread Contest, one might well consider requesting of me by GeekMail my correspondence with MyLittlePwny in which I took him to task for tolerating consecutive multi-spam posting and for failing to properly police his own Endurance-Thread Contest.

I also told him that when one is perceived as having aided and abetted the short-circuiting of his own main contest by having abdicated his duty as the contest sponsor to try to curtail, prevent, and/or disqualify competing spam-message "mini-contests" in his main contest thread -- especially after he'd already stipulated in no uncertain terms that server-crashing posting would not tolerated -- then the rules of his "fun little thing" of an Endurance-Thread Contest had essentially been nullified and compromised once the thread was locked, and the fun of purpose for which the rule-abiding non-spam-posting participants had participated in the thread has been usurped altogether.

I also don't buy the line, "I had my fun and got tired of it", from the sponsor of a Endurance-Thread Contest.

In comparative terms of a "Dance 'Til Ya Drop" Endurance Dance Marathons, that sort of cop-out would be like if the organizers of a dance marathon suddenly and arbitrarily decided to reduce the size of the entire dance floor down to a 3' X 3' square big enough to contain only one still-standing couple of their choice in order to bring the contest to an abrupt ending and crown a winner despite the fact that there were plenty of able dancing couples still on the dance floor.

As of this reading, I haven't read anything in the rules for this new Endurance-Thread Contest that would prevent such abuses as the type of consecutive multi-post spamming that resulted in the locking of the first Endurance Thread. And for the reason that I'd like to avoid participating in another anti-climactic cop-out of a thread train wreck, I think I'll dance elsewhere where I won't get tripped up by kamikaze multi-post spamming.

Dude, chill. Nobody died.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we need a poll.

Poll: Panty status regarding recent Endurance events
My panties are...
All up in a bunch.
In a twist.
Comfortable, thank you for asking.
Never you mind!
      25 answers
Poll created by GreenDude
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

GreenDude wrote:
Huh? The thread was locked because it got too big. News flash : It was always going to get that big, it was just a matter of time. Big deal.

"Big deal", indeed. How exquisitively ironic that it suddenly "got too big" when all of that consecutive multi-post spamming was going on. Moreover, I note that you didn't cite one single on-the-record authoritative source for your unsourced allegation that the thread "got too big."

GreenDude wrote:
We have a new thread. It's shiny. We can put up some new curtains, maybe some nice pictures. Or a Jacuzzi!

And lots and lots of consecutive multi-post spamming as well.

GreenDude wrote:
I'd address your other points, but they're just iterations on "The thread got locked and it's everyone's fault and my fun is gone".

There's a BIG difference between a genuine Endurance Thread and a Kamikaze Thread-Lock-Or-Bust Thread. While consecutive multi-post spamming is both wholly incompatible with and entirely detrimental to a genuine Endurance Thread, it's ideal for a Kamikaze Thread-Lock-Or-Bust Thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

GreenDude wrote:
Maybe we need a poll.

Poll: Panty status regarding recent Endurance events
My panties are...
All up in a bunch.
In a twist.
Comfortable, thank you for asking.
Never you mind!
      25 answers
Poll created by GreenDude

Could you possibly post an even vaguer poll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Leezer wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
mylittlepwny wrote:

Dude, chill. Nobody died.

On the contrary, both Fun and Interest both died in that thread train wreck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.